1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
badwaytolive
badwaytolive
7/5/17 1:34 p.m.

Just stopping by to say both my wife and I loved the movie; we'll probably see it a second time in the theatre! Great work!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/5/17 1:47 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: Annnnnd Jermey just confirmed he'll be our guest on the live show next Wednesday, 7-12 at 9pm eastern. Fairly excited abut that one :)
As someone who shares this name. Spelling Jeremy incorrectly grates the nerves a bit.

Now you want up-to-the minute reporting AND accuracy? Come on, man.

I was excited.

JerEmy is coming on the show. Happy now? Sorry.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/5/17 1:48 p.m.
bluej wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: Annnnnd Jermey just confirmed he'll be our guest on the live show next Wednesday, 7-12 at 9pm eastern. Fairly excited abut that one :)
In person?? I feel like you guys should rent out the FIRM and bring the whole GRM fleet for this

Call-in, but we're gong to ask him to do a 50/50 grind on a K-rail with his phone.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
7/5/17 2:11 p.m.

Saw this over the weekend. I really enjoyed it.

I liked that the movie was not a giant commercial. There was that one scene with the new Challenger, but it was pretty well done and certainly nothing like GM everywhere in The Last Stand or Dodge everywhere in F&F.

I have some co-workers and friends here that were heavily involved in the movie industry until recently. It sounds like a really interesting business behind the scenes.

Keith Tanner wrote: Something I just realized - and I'll have to watch for it next time I see the movie - is that I think it almost completely avoided the whole "shift gears and you go faster!" trope that's so popular in the F&F franchise. It could even be argued that the one instance was a matter of dropping into a lower gear for more torque. That alone makes it a better car movie than most.

Its sad how low the bar is

Sadly the movie did not avoid the "Most skilled driver in the world in a fast car, yet every time he looks back the cops are right there trope". Early on anyway.

Just once I'd love to see a driver take a clean line, apex all the turns right and leave the police in the dust in a matter of seconds.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/5/17 2:39 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Sadly the movie did not avoid the "Most skilled driver in the world in a fast car, yet every time he looks back the cops are **right there** trope". Early on anyway. Just once I'd love to see a driver take a clean line, apex all the turns right and leave the police in the dust in a matter of seconds.

I think that's what the movie "Drive" did so well. Not that he was able to outdrive the cops, just that he was better at evading them in the first place.

On another note, took my wife to see it yesterday. It was just as good a second time, and my wife said she is in lust with the red Subaru

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/17 2:44 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Sadly the movie did not avoid the "Most skilled driver in the world in a fast car, yet every time he looks back the cops are **right there** trope". Early on anyway. Just once I'd love to see a driver take a clean line, apex all the turns right and leave the police in the dust in a matter of seconds.

It's hard to outrun a Motorola.

I wonder, in real life - is it easier to give chase? You can see in advance what you have to do, and the car in front is clearing the way for you. Well, mostly. There are always those garbage cans that get knocked over. But you've got time to react to what's going on, whereas the guy is front is trying to be unpredictable but cannot be.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/5/17 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I am always faster on track when I'm chasing someone down. I refer to it as "needing a carrot."

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
7/5/17 6:40 p.m.

Having seen my fair share of police chase videos from the "dash cam" view, you should never underestimate how slow a fully loaded police cruiser is. Yes, I know some people autocross P71's with varying success, but that's without the computers, cage, window bars, lights, shotgun/rifle, EMS bag, etc., etc. The most telling example I saw was a chase on a local interstate. At highway speeds, a young kid in an unmodified Integra GSR absolutely walked away from a Crown Vic in what was essentially a 60 mph "roll race". In the space of a 5 mile pursuit, the officer lost at least a mile on the Integra. The Tahoes are even slower.

The police usually win because 1. you can't outrun the radio (in theory at least) and 2. most "bad guys" either don't know how to drive or are impaired by some sort of substance. In truth, the police are generally handicapped WAY more than a fleeing driver. They generally have to at least slow down at intersections and traffic signals. They also can't kill their lights (which bad guys can/do) and have to "multi-task" to keep command/radio up to date on the pursuit. They can't/don't drive the way they do in the movies, since wanton destruction usually leads to an unplanned career change.

In short, the fleeing driver has every advantage save numbers. Most end up getting caught because they don't know how to drive. A "professional" getaway driver should have no problem ditching the pursuit, and pretty quickly at that.

That said, if the movie's good, I won't let that stop me.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/5/17 7:29 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

I could add some of my personal experiences to that... However, in light of the statute of limitations and an upcoming trip to certain states I should keep my big mouth shut.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/17 7:33 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

Most Police are not great drivers, just like some aren't great at shooting.

Not too say, those same ones don't think otherwise, but that's not surprising when you stop and think about it.

Your points about the Interceptor's performance is spot on as well.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
7/6/17 7:45 a.m.
kazoospec wrote: Having seen my fair share of police chase videos from the "dash cam" view, you should never underestimate how slow a fully loaded police cruiser is.

old police cruisers (P71)

The new cars have improved a lot.

2006 P71: Grattan: 1:41 0-60: 8.63seconds Top speed: 120 mph

In 2016, the Tahoe ran a 1:41 around Grattan 0-60 in 7.94 Top speed of 137 mph

The cars are significantly faster, getting into the 1:36s now and some of them running 14s. Caprice does 155mph with the V8. Even the 'slow' models are now in the 16s and ~145mph ish.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
7/6/17 7:46 a.m.

The "Blue Mist" descends and those safety concerns, like slowing at intersections and traffic signals, often becomes less important than getting the bad guy. Way too many innocent civilians hurt and killed in real life high speed chases IMHO.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/6/17 10:09 a.m.
maj75 wrote: The "Blue Mist" descends and those safety concerns, like slowing at intersections and traffic signals, often becomes less important than getting the bad guy. Way too many innocent civilians hurt and killed in real life high speed chases IMHO.
Getting further and further from the OP, self driving cars and the tech that comes along with them will pretty well bring an end to police chases in my lifetime. Even if the "bad guy" takes his personal transport pod into manual mode, the master computer will have it on constant GPS track and the authorities will be able to remotely disable it. Allowing a neat and orderly retrieval of the miscreant. All very civilized and sanitary.
Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
7/6/17 10:54 a.m.

Going against the grain....

The movie was terrible.

Poor plot, beyond predictable and cheesy.

Also "baby" halfway pronounced words throughout the movie, which drove me insane. Rocks in that guys mouth.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/17 11:16 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote:
maj75 wrote: The "Blue Mist" descends and those safety concerns, like slowing at intersections and traffic signals, often becomes less important than getting the bad guy. Way too many innocent civilians hurt and killed in real life high speed chases IMHO.
Getting further and further from the OP, self driving cars and the tech that comes along with them will pretty well bring an end to police chases in my lifetime. Even if the "bad guy" takes his personal transport pod into manual mode, the master computer will have it on constant GPS track and the authorities will be able to remotely disable it. Allowing a neat and orderly retrieval of the miscreant. All very civilized and sanitary.

Until the override fails. Then you need to call in the eX-Drivers!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
7/6/17 11:22 a.m.

I saw it with some friends last night. I swore that one of them was going to overdose on their own adrenaline at some point due to the sheer action. Great driving, great script, great editing, great camerawork. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
7/6/17 11:24 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I saw it with some friends last night. I swore that one of them was going to overdose on their own adrenaline at some point due to the sheer action. Great driving, great script, great editing, great camerawork. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Yeah I especially loved how they tied the music into virtually everything, even shooting bullets to the rhythm of the song. Saw last night with the girlfriends - would definitely recommend. None of the car chases are super long but there is a lot of wheel work that makes it great to watch. Kind of reminds me of the ryan gosling movie but less weird and more action.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/6/17 11:43 a.m.

I saw it this past weekend with Mr.s APEowner who is non-car, musician who generally dislikes action movies (but is very generous about making accommodations) for me and she really enjoyed it. She did insist on driving home however.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
7/6/17 12:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
KyAllroad wrote:

Lol, I didn't know anyone else out there had actually seen this.

I watched it when I was ~ 17, during the height of my Gran Turismo (and JDM sports car) love affair. It was amazing.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/6/17 7:07 p.m.

I've been re-watching Twin Peaks lately. From the previews Baby's girlfriend seems to be channeling Shelly Johnson the waitress.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/6/17 7:52 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
KyAllroad wrote:
Lol, I didn't know anyone else out there had actually seen this. I watched it when I was ~ 17, during the height of my Gran Turismo (and JDM sports car) love affair. It was amazing.

Of course everyone here has/should see it

In the eX-Driver movie they have a Miata with a clutched supercharger, turbo, and nitrous!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
7/6/17 11:23 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Also, do NOT drive anything powerful or with a good stereo to this film.

Sort-of too late .

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/6/17 7:51 p.m.

Much better than I expected. Lily James is certainly easy on the eyes.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/17 6:56 a.m.

Austinallen smells like a canoe

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/17 7:20 a.m.

It's looking like I'm not going to get to see this in the theater... I'll just have to look forward to renting it when it comes out on disc.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O2CViCtbzC44U3cEfJLGw85gWQQ3a4xt36vEfTt7cSPJVKrZZRv5X4466MDCHmNQ