1 2
RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/17/18 8:50 a.m.

So I have Ranger with a 3.0 Vulcan. The internet had lead me to believe the SHO 3.0 should bolt up where the Vulcan is. But my cellphone googling is not providing the proof of a simple "unbolt old vulcan, bolt in SHO in a ranger".

Stuff probably bolts together but would the brake booster etc still have place to reside?

I dont need to link the SHO parts car ad from craigslist that sparked this, do I?

Also the SHO is the 3.0 liter version from a manual transmission.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/17/18 9:17 a.m.

I researched this once when I had real Ford parts catalog access.

All boiled down to that the block is the same part number. Same bellhousing pattern between the two also.  I'd just bolt the SHO motor in with what ever changes needed are to fit the Ranger and go about life.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/17/18 9:38 a.m.

Only thing I can think of that might cause issues is that it's mounted sideways in the Taurus and longitudinally in the Ranger.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
3/17/18 9:56 a.m.

What about engine management systems between the two?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/17/18 10:14 a.m.
drainoil said:

What about engine management systems between the two?

At some point, the computers may be pretty darned close to each other.  But the calibrations are nowhere near the same. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/17/18 12:14 p.m.

I would imagine that if I got the engine, the ecu would come with it.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
3/17/18 4:48 p.m.

A quick Google search shows that it has been placed longitudinally before, so I can't imagine it would be that difficult.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/17/18 5:07 p.m.

I know that they can be done longitudinally, I was looking for any specifics for a Ranger install.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
3/17/18 6:14 p.m.

The SHO is all revs.  That's the opposite of "truck engine."  But if that's what you're after...

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
3/17/18 6:33 p.m.
DWNSHFT said:

The SHO is all revs.  That's the opposite of "truck engine."  But if that's what you're after...

That just means a need for lower gears and a willingness to rev the nuts off it for an extended period of time! 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/17/18 6:53 p.m.
STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/17/18 7:14 p.m.

This swap is discussed every so often in the Ranger community, but the only completed one that I've ever seen is in the article in Ranger50's link.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/17/18 7:33 p.m.

So heres my rub, i want pickup. I dont want a big project, because I already have the Renault. But if i could pull out an engine and slap in a replacement in a weekend, that sounds entertaining.

Thats really the point of this thread, and its beginning to look like i would be breaking into some relatively uncharted waters. Sure it will bolt to the mounts and transmission. Not sure about accessories, brake booster, steering gearbox clearance. You know all the stuff I never mention when its someone elses project and how easy it must be... cheeky

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/17/18 9:37 p.m.

The SHO is all revs.

Do we actually know that it makes less torque than the vulcan at lower revs? I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't..

But overall i dont think there's any way this swap is as plug and play as it would need to be to fit OPs commitment level. I'd recommend against it in this case.. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
3/18/18 1:06 a.m.
Vigo said:

The SHO is all revs.

Do we actually know that it makes less torque than the vulcan at lower revs? I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't..

But overall i dont think there's any way this swap is as plug and play as it would need to be to fit OPs commitment level. I'd recommend against it in this case.. 

This. I seem to remember them being "peppy" down low, then the short runners opened up, and it was like the worlds fastest engine swap happened while you were going down the road. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
3/18/18 11:28 a.m.

I feel like if this swap was easier you'd see it more. Neat engine though. 

sergio
sergio Reader
3/18/18 2:38 p.m.

I think you need an Aerostar 5 speed to make the swap work. Back in 1995 at the SHO convention in Dearborn we got to see an Aerostar with a SHO engine and 5speed in it. Ford called it the Shostar. 

I have no idea what the differences are between a Ranger and Aerostar trans. But like others said if it were that easy there would be more of them. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/19/18 6:58 a.m.
RossD said:

So heres my rub, i want pickup. I dont want a big project, because I already have the Renault. But if i could pull out an engine and slap in a replacement in a weekend, that sounds entertaining.

Thats really the point of this thread, and its beginning to look like i would be breaking into some relatively uncharted waters. Sure it will bolt to the mounts and transmission. Not sure about accessories, brake booster, steering gearbox clearance. You know all the stuff I never mention when its someone elses project and how easy it must be... cheeky

I can install the Whipple supercharger kit in my 3.0 Ranger in under an hour. Just sayin'. They're not easy to find, but it's a nice bolt on upgrade. If you really wanted it to take a whole weekend, you could add headers, roller rockers, and do a quick/dirty port match on the lower intake manifold at the same time.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
3/19/18 8:31 a.m.

Why would the Aerostar bellhousing be correct and the Ranger bellhousing be incorrect?  Seems suspect.  That said, I've only ever heard of the Aerostar bellhousing being used for this and not the Ranger part.  

I know there's more involved in a swap than just a bellhousing to engine mate-up, but this does beg the question of why more of these sorts of swaps haven't taken place.  Like a mk1 Probe with a 3.0 V6, why hasn't the SHO V6 been slotted into more of those cars?  Besides the whole "that trans is weak and you're already aware of this" issue...

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
3/19/18 8:40 a.m.

I’m prerty sure only the early Aerostar had a separate bell housing. The later Aerostar and Rangers all used the Mazda R1 with the integral bell housing. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/19/18 8:58 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Yeah but the 3.0L vulcan trans with the integrated bell housing does bolt up. I have both sitting in the garage and a ton of SHO parts. 

Ross - If you are ever in MO, I have a spare 2wd trans and most of an SHO swap (pretty much everything except the wiring harness) that I would sell for cheap. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/19/18 9:05 a.m.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the SHO V6 has just been surpassed so thoroughly and so long ago that it's just not compelling as a swap candidate. Pretty intake aside, it's only what, 220 hp? That's not a lot for a 3.0 v6 nowadays. It's a bump up from the Vulcan but unless it's a drop in plug in swap it doesn't seem worth it. That's probably why you don't see many of them, even if it's a bolt-in.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/19/18 10:43 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Yeah, that is why I have decided to move this along. I would rather getting a drop out from a v6 mustang. Plus the SHO is really heavy. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/19/18 3:53 p.m.
dculberson said:

I could be wrong, but it seems like the SHO V6 has just been surpassed so thoroughly and so long ago that it's just not compelling as a swap candidate. Pretty intake aside, it's only what, 220 hp? That's not a lot for a 3.0 v6 nowadays. It's a bump up from the Vulcan but unless it's a drop in plug in swap it doesn't seem worth it. That's probably why you don't see many of them, even if it's a bolt-in.

But it would look sooo damn cool though once you open the hood....

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/19/18 4:45 p.m.

Seriously, anyone who needs SHO parts I am willing to sell this stuff for the price of shipping and packaging. Let me know what you need. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HrIbLilfhq840OwE1bmDhwtSUPdYqwJoq2WYHpYA3FctlmT2T3pqZKIX3ZA9ZWvP