oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
8/22/19 8:45 a.m.

Still in progress. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/31/19 2:57 p.m.

In reply to freetors :

This is the before picture. I’m slowly using up my wood and I want it on the record where I came from. 

My goal is by next year I’ll give away any leftover wood and sell off my wood working tools.  Should still be 4-5,000 bd feet of hardwood. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/31/19 3:02 p.m.

This is the 9-10 foot long stuff

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/31/19 3:04 p.m.

This is a typical weeks waste. The bag is a 42 gallon bag and stuffed as full as I can with shavings.  The scrap wood will either go in the trash or I’ll find someone who doesn’t mind working with black walnut, white oak,  cherry, or Maple scraps of 4 feet or less.  Most are 6-8 inches wide. Some wider, some as narrow as 4 inches. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/31/19 3:12 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

This is some of the 18+ foot long stuff

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/31/19 3:36 p.m.
frenchyd said:

The scrap wood will either go in the trash or I’ll find someone who doesn’t mind working with black walnut, white oak,  cherry, or Maple scraps of 4 feet or less.  Most are 6-8 inches wide. Some wider, some as narrow as 4 inches. 

Frenchy - I'd be happy to take some of that scrap off your hands.  smiley  Let me know when you're ready to clean house.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/31/19 9:00 p.m.

I too would come get a load of frenchyd  scrap wood that stuff is beautiful.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/31/19 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith :

Nice work.  I like the view from your yard. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
9/1/19 3:59 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Please stop over at your convenience. All you want. 

If you want I’ll load up my pickup and drop them off for you.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
9/1/19 4:08 a.m.
pilotbraden said:

I too would come get a load of frenchyd  scrap wood that stuff is beautiful.

Long way to come for some scraps of wood. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/1/19 4:27 a.m.
frenchyd said:

This is a typical weeks waste. The bag is a 42 gallon bag and stuffed as full as I can with shavings.  The scrap wood will either go in the trash or I’ll find someone who doesn’t mind working with black walnut, white oak,  cherry, or Maple scraps of 4 feet or less.  Most are 6-8 inches wide. Some wider, some as narrow as 4 inches. 

Sounds like good paddle-making stock

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/19 8:42 p.m.

Did some fencing. Cheers and happy labor day. Couldn't be bothered to leave the patio to take a closer photo, but anyway I t looks better from a distance.

TheGloriousW
TheGloriousW New Reader
9/1/19 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

The Pottery Barn price for that would be ten gazillion dollars. Nice work.

TheGloriousW
TheGloriousW New Reader
9/1/19 10:23 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Here are a few way things I made:

The frame is an old bed frame  

Frame here is also old bed frame and the mirror was a sliding closet door that I cut down

Used an an old pallet and reclaimed cedar paneling and window frame brackets and toilet bowl bolts:

This was made from an old bottom cabinet from an old kitchen and the top was a damaged upper we got that they replaced.  I had to make the upper deeper to match the lower:

The cabinet sides and backs  are fencing material that I cut down and stained different colors and depths

Made from the same reclaimed cedar paneling:

Pretty much everything here is born from me being cheap and prideful: I don’t want to buy something I can make and I don’t like to get compliments on something I don’t make.

pretty messed up to spend 8 hours making something I could just buy for $20.  

But things like the mirror are more worth it - something like that cost me $0 and would sell for $200-500

You have skill, craft, and a tasteful decorating eye. I am envious.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/2/19 8:12 a.m.
Mndsm said:

one off majoras mask Van's slips for my kids birthday. 

Make me some! 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
9/4/19 1:51 a.m.

My boys favorite cartoon character is Mimi from the YouTube show “Badanamu”. I told him if he went to bed tonight without fighting he’d have a surprise in the morning. He fought but I’m a sucker so I made him a Mimi. 

Took way too long but I’m super excited to see him find it in the morning. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/4/19 8:12 a.m.

I am hard on textbooks; they usually get pretty beaten up in my bag.  To keep this book nice, I made a leather book cover out of a harbor freight welding apron.  The clasp was made out of a keychain with a small wrench on it.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
9/4/19 3:10 p.m.

Made a video game seat / racing rig from a free treadmill and junkyard MR-S seat. My third time welding (sheet metal patch and muffler to pipe) and my first real welding project.

More pics

BenB
BenB Reader
9/6/19 1:21 p.m.

I was going through my late father's tool box this week while getting the house ready to sell and found these. Way back in the mid-70s, when I was in 7th grade, the Jr High I went to had a metalworking class. I was introduced to welding, sand casting, lathes, etc. We learned great stuff, like the piece of metal you just welded is hot, and metal shavings are sharp. I made a screwdriver and a chisel for him. 55 year old me is touched that he kept them all these years.

I imagine  the current crop of soccer moms would completely lose their minds if Junior was exposed to a class that might cut, poke, or burn him (or her).

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/19 2:22 p.m.

I made some jelly.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
9/8/19 9:01 p.m.

I just made this ring for my girlfriend. It turned out really well for my first try.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/8/19 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I had a guy put a cedar fence in my back part of our lot.  I paid extra for 5”x5” posts but they didn’t last any longer.  My goal is to use steel posts and put cedar in just like you.  

You ‘da man. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/8/19 9:46 p.m.

Tore off the crappity old rotten deck...

And improved it a little. wink

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/14/19 12:39 p.m.

Only two years in the making...

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
10/14/19 8:40 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Rodan :

I had a guy put a cedar fence in my back part of our lot.  I paid extra for 5”x5” posts but they didn’t last any longer.  My goal is to use steel posts and put cedar in just like you.  

You ‘da man. 

The tannins in cedar will cause the steel to rust and the resulting reaction will cause the cedar to decay.  

If you don’t want that to happen use a non Ferris metal. Stainless steel, silicon bronze,  copper,  aluminum etc. 

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 48

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hl0VCqXaxN4ruF6qWfGxyzdYYE35Jcfi9Od4CqIJhCEqZOfLvr5YZXIKSK4EOww8