1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 48
Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
2/4/20 3:37 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

I'd love a build thread on the camper, I've been wanting to build a teardrop for a good 10 years now.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/4/20 4:04 p.m.

Made these a while back, but they're working well.

To start:

Find a round that works

Apparently I'm missing some pics.

Insert into female side, start flare with doming balls ( https://www.harborfreight.com/25-piece-doming-block-and-punch-set-93539.html ,) once flare is started then you hammer it flat.  Install to test fit.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
2/4/20 5:03 p.m.
Dead_Sled said:

In reply to ScottyB :

I'd love a build thread on the camper, I've been wanting to build a teardrop for a good 10 years now.

no kidding?  i'll definitely do one then.  for what its worth...i sat on the idea for years too, and a close call with my BIL's health pushed me over the edge to just say the hell with it and go for it.  obviously it took some planning and budgeting but i'm really glad i did.  

our next camping trip is in early april, can't wait.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
2/4/20 5:26 p.m.

I needed a muffler for my hi-po mini bike but couldn't find anything interesting, so I made this (sorry fo the big pics).

The perf tube was the core from a scrap hydraulic filter, and I packed it with ceramic fiber.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
2/4/20 6:32 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

I was a carpenter before i got a job in automation/fabrication.   If you can build what you posted, you can certainly cut, grind, weld etc.  I mean, your stuff requires precision, reading, adding, subtracting fractions (or that silly millimeter stuff the Canadians use) cutting stuff, screws, clamps, surface prep, paint/stain etc.  All just a different medium and the bonus with metal is if you berkeley up you stand a chance of being able to fix it with a welder/tig/torch.  I will say, that the level of welding i do, its a ton easier to take 2 pieces of wood apart than 2 pieces of 1/2" steel fillet welded on both sides

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
2/4/20 6:36 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

Um, if thats threaded 1/2x28 on one end and has a 1/4" hole on the other i would love one of my own.   For big brother, that was totally a joke.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/20 7:15 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

There's a certain WIX filter with those dimensions.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/4/20 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I'm certain it's my background in emergency medicine, but I'm probably the only one on here that wants to know how in the hell you managed to manufacture that boulder in your throat...

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
2/4/20 8:07 p.m.

Honda VTR 1000 Vtwin on the left,awd subaru justy transmission on the right,custom jackshaft driving a big sprocket in place of the flywheel.

Javelin
2/4/20 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I have no earthly idea. As soon as I get it out I'll post a picture for help identifying.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/4/20 10:16 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Let me know what thread the picture is in so I can avoid it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/4/20 10:27 p.m.
Dead_Sled said:

In reply to ScottyB :

This.

Javelin
2/4/20 10:29 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Javelin :

Let me know what thread the picture is in so I can avoid it.

It's going to be like Where's Waldo! laugh

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/5/20 9:52 a.m.

My GTI has wheel bolts instead of studs. It makes putting the wheels back on a PITA. Companies make wheel hangars but they are $10-$15. Being a cheapskate with a lathe I decided to make my own. I bought two 14x1.5 bolts at the hardware store. They were $4.89 each, but the guy rang them up for $.49 each. When I pointed out his mistake he re-rang them up for $1.29 each and said thank you for being honest. I turned the heads off and then used a roundover mill on the end so that they don't scratch up my wheels.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
2/6/20 7:56 a.m.
CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/8/20 9:32 p.m.

I installed a Brembo GT BBK on my GTI a while back. I needed a 3mm spacer in order to clear the brakes. Unfortunately, the smallest spacers you can buy for VWs that are hub centric are 10mm. I installed a new set of tires and wheels yesterday that are 10mm wider than the originals with the 10mm spacer I'm getting a bit of a rub under high cornering loads. I thought it over and realized that the original wheels/hubs are 57.4mm and the new wheels have a 72.6mm bore. I have enough room to work with that I can get creative with my hub rings. I ordered a set of 3mm spacers with a 66.6mm bore. Then I turned a set of hub rings that have a 72.6mm OD, a 57.4mm bore and have a step on the back that is 66.6mm to match the spacers. This will buy 7mm of clearance and keep everything hub centric. 

79rex
79rex Reader
2/8/20 9:59 p.m.

Working on a brake bias knob.  Total overkill, but I have scrap aluminum and a work for a company that gives me a little more free time then I should have 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
2/9/20 7:55 a.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

Honda VTR 1000 Vtwin on the left,awd subaru justy transmission on the right,custom jackshaft driving a big sprocket in place of the flywheel.

Details, details we need moar of them.  Pics too.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
2/9/20 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I should probably start a build thread for it one of these days.

Busy rebuilding my wifes motorcycle literally right now,my Virago cafe/street tracker project is close to starting(gathering a few more bits before it gets underway) and the new endurance civic race car is heading to my shop soon for me to do my part.

Justy is moving to the end of that kongo line.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
2/11/20 2:06 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

I don't build custom fishing rods anymore, totally into autocross now.

Still baking, though! Raisin-date cinnamon swirl sourdough whole wheat.

i forgot to reply to this earlier - that's so cool you built rods.  my dad gave me a custom 3wt on my 18th birthday and its on my list of 5 things i'd grab if i had to run out of the house as its burning down.  its just beautiful what a seasoned builder can do with the handle, seat, guides and other parts to make a functional thing so enjoyable just to hold and look at.  i have a couple old bamboo rods that i inherited from my grandfather as well and want to knock the dust off of them on the water someday.  need to build a wall mounted rod holder for them.

that bread looks crazy good btw.  we have a super old, hand-me-down paddle style bread machine and i'm spoiled by it.  i hate eating store bought stuff.  its really cheap and easy to make bread and just the way it makes the house smell is worth it anyway.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/11/20 3:45 p.m.

Made an air tailgate for the Cadimino.  People toss these angle iron bed frames out all the time, pick 'em up!

The bed side walls and the area under the gate will be bed liner black.  (removable gate).  Soon to feature strips of wood with a 2.5" gap between 5" wide strips.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/20 4:08 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

Agreed on the bread. Sadly the wife is gluten intolerant so no homemade bread here

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/20 4:11 p.m.
Antihero said:

In reply to ScottyB :

Agreed on the bread. Sadly the wife is gluten intolerant so no homemade bread here

You can bake gluten free bread. From what I have had it is usually better than most store bought gluten free bread. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/20 5:43 p.m.
EvanB said:
Antihero said:

In reply to ScottyB :

You can bake gluten free bread. From what I have had it is usually better than most store bought gluten free bread. 

Is it anything like vegan muffins?  Because those were so horribad it make a vegan friend of mine stop being vegan.

She was against animal cruelty and factory farming but bad muffins were her limit.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/20 5:48 p.m.
Zissou said:

I used a WW2 spade grip from a M2 .50 cal and made an adapter that would use the original spade grip screw on top, but with the thread for my shift knob on the bottom. I've now got a wood shift knob with some history for the daily

The picture is of the grip, but I am looking at the port timing on those FC N/A rotor housings.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 48

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e6aWsmOtfmhPjwJtItu3jDMz6xguc10flhFARA9jaC47Ni6vQktchqW565sgzf6U