1 2
Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/12/24 4:02 p.m.

A few weeks ago I saw someone in a newish single cab shortbed F150 and I actually liked it.

I know that the 4 doors are more practical but man I hate how big they are. I could actually picture myself driving one of these everyday.

Yes, I know they are effectively a two seater (three in a pinch) but I really don't take more than one other person with me on trips to the track or the box store.

So tell me why they are terrible................... 

Motojunky
Motojunky Reader
8/12/24 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

They're not terrible. For whatever reason, behemoth trucks have become normal. I miss the small trucks of the late 80s through the late 90s or so. A single cab mini was super practical, fit anywhere, and could do plenty of work. I had a series of small trucks when I was younger and then went "big" with a 2000 single cab shortbed Silverado. It was a great truck and still made for a nice daily. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/12/24 4:15 p.m.

RCSB FO LYFE!

(Regular cab, short bed.)

Gimme an F150 RCSB in blue, with a 5.0 please.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
8/12/24 4:19 p.m.

I wish the new Maverick was available in a 2dr or king cab - I dont need the backseat, and I think 4 dr trucks look weird.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
8/12/24 4:21 p.m.

Short bed with extended cab is better to me, there's a place for your stuff out of the rain if needed. I'm not sure anyone even makes that set up anymore.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/24 4:25 p.m.

My last two trucks were single cab short bed.  Loved both of them.  Best thing is you never get asked to drive a group somewhere and if someone wants to use it/you for moving you can just say you know it's a short bed so it can't really haul much, Uhaul might be better.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
8/12/24 4:50 p.m.

There's nothing wrong with a two seater if it meets your needs. My biggest issue with my regular cab truck is that I am smushed into the seat no matter where I position it and is part of why I prefer at least a little extra cab on a lot of vehicles.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/12/24 5:00 p.m.

For my purposes, the single cab/short bed is too short.  All else being equal, a longer wheelbase means more towing stability, and towing is the only reason I own a truck.

So if I'm going to have that extra wheelbase, I can choose between a bigger cab or a longer bed.  While I do like having a bed (great for tires and fuel jugs, so I don't want an SUV), I don't need an 8 foot long one (I'm not hauling drywall or plywood).  So I'd rather have the crew cab with the extra lockable, weatherpoof space.

Also, crew cab means that when I get to the track early, I can get in the passenger side, lean the seat back, and take a nap while I wait for them to let me into the paddock.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/12/24 5:01 p.m.

When I had my F250 single cab a friend of mine had a Silverado WT single cab and we called ourselves The Single Cab Society.  

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/12/24 5:11 p.m.

I have both a GMT400 regular cab and a Ford Ranger regular cab right now. Wouldn't want anything else. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/12/24 5:30 p.m.

My daily is a Regular Cab F150 with the 5.0 Gen 2 Coyote but the long bed. I HATE the long bed for daily driving but it is so much more usable when I need a truck. About 65% of my miles is towing a trailer or having a heavy load in the bed. 130K miles everything still works though I do have a very light exhasut leak somewhere I have not fixed yet. Only problem with the RCSW is that you can only get the XL and the XL with power windows and locks package typically is a special order. If I could get a 4X4 with the nice interior and stereo and the 5.0 i would upgrade. 

Right now I keep looking at the 7.3 XL F250 regular cab 4x4 and thinking of going whipple on the motor. Would fill a lot of fun roles for me. Plus I could get a enclosed trailer for track work and buying cars. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
8/12/24 5:45 p.m.

I find the RCSB sexier albeit less practical. Growing up my dad had a Toyota PU that I remember fondly. It had a 6 foot bed which is enough for surfboard transport and if the family was going somewhere together in it I sat in the middle of the bench. His next truck was a 2nd gen Taco in the same spec and we put 3 adults in it. Can't recommend that.

I'll post Michael's truck as inspo

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/12/24 5:50 p.m.

If you're not taking more than 1 other person around, standard cab is just fine. Shorter wheelbase is great for easier parking etc. Standard cab short box is normally 6' while 4 doors are in the 5' something range. 6' can do most stuff but real hauling calls for 8'. Being able to toss 4x8 sheet goods in and just shut the tailgate is super convenient. 10' and 12' boards aren't too much of an overhang to be a hassle. All depends on your needs. 8' still easy to park.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/12/24 6:32 p.m.

I love regular cab, short beds.  I've owned two, an '89 Chevy C1500 4.3/5spd and a '94 Chevy K1500 5.7/4L60E, and I loved them both.  I'd especially love a modern equivalent of the 2WD, manual truck.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/12/24 6:44 p.m.

I had an extended cab Ranger for a company truck. The half-doors were 'meh' and the thing rattled quite a bit over bumps.

My 'real' trucks have all been "short wides" as we call them around here.

I prefer the look of them. My previous truck was a long bed and it was nice to have the extra room to haul crap to the track, but it wasn't really a necessity. However...if I were buying a brand new truck ordered the way I want, I'd get an extended cab. It's just nice to have the extra enclosed, lockable space and a place for my dog(s) to sit comfortably. The front bucket in the Lightning isn't really good for dogs. Short-wides are great to park. I did learn that the car had to be on a different place on the trailer so I didn't get Death Wag, a problem that never appeared on the long bed. Also fits in the garage better. They have compromises, but none that make me want to sell it to get something extended.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
8/12/24 6:51 p.m.

Regular cab is the only way.  I think I have two, but maybe only the Willys is a "short" bed, however it was standard in a time with no other options . . .

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/24 7:25 p.m.

Nothing wrong with them at all.  All trucks are suited for certain things.  You want to tow a gooseneck 3-car wedge?  That's crew cab dually territory, and you'll have to put up with parking at the far end of the parking lot.  You want something to haul a lawnmower and some mulch, but realize you'll never tow anything heavy or long?  Short bed single cab is your huckleberry.  Need to have a cool car but you'll never haul more than an engine?  El Camino, baby.  

Just stay realistic.  I see too many times when people falsely assume that a truck is a truck, so they get the smallest one they can DD, and then get frustrated because they can't haul a 2x4 without it falling out.  (looking at you, Explorer Sport Track and Suby Baja).

Trucks are like the ultimate hot/crazy graph.  The more they can do, the less they are easy to live with.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/12/24 8:48 p.m.

RCSB      For the win

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/12/24 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I currently have a 16ft enclosed trailer that I tow. Not sure if that is long enough to cause issues for a RCSB.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
8/12/24 9:13 p.m.

Through the wonders of Cousin_Eddie on another forum, I've cut my last two trucks down from long beds to short beds.

Short bed standard cab is awesome.

Stepsides are less awesome, if I'm honest, now that I'm working with one.

Having an 8' (or longer) trailer to go with it - super double plus awesome!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/12/24 10:05 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I find the RCSB sexier albeit less practical. Growing up my dad had a Toyota PU that I remember fondly. It had a 6 foot bed which is enough for surfboard transport and if the family was going somewhere together in it I sat in the middle of the bench. His next truck was a 2nd gen Taco in the same spec and we put 3 adults in it. Can't recommend that.

I'll post Michael's truck as inspo

My daughter's daily now! Holy crap, shes almost 16....

I went to an extended cab short bed for my daily dor a little extra fat guy room. Just couldn't fit all of me comfortably in the regular cab after i quit smoking. 

That being said, my company truck is a 2019 ram classic regular cab long bed. Dodge did something to add about 6 inches to the cab, which makes it perfect. Plenty of room for my fat ass and still have stuff behind the seat. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/12/24 10:29 p.m.

They ride worse, tow worse, store less, and are less comfortable. 

Doesn't mean I don't want one. I think at one point a regular cab, short bed, V8 stick Tubdra was the fastest Toyota available.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/13/24 4:30 a.m.

I still like my rcsb mini trucks... even though I shouldn't be able to squeeze into one anymore. 
If I have any more room than necessary, I'll keep junk in it. Hard pass because cleanup in anything bigger is a big PITA.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/13/24 7:52 a.m.

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/13/24 8:15 a.m.

Does this count as "RCSB"?  It's more or less a Colorado ZR2 and the bed is just under 7ft.

ISV-2 "Multi-Mission and Logistics"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6F0NpYhgef5Fcg4ghWo1DadPSblJvLSAJn7TE7iie5lKLAMSYiCc1JoiMzN1HYkd