1 2 3 4 ... 7
poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/22/13 3:02 p.m.

This one is on the short list as well. Silver's growing on me. Doesn't look bad with tint. I've always been terrified to own a black car; tough to keep clean, swirls and scratches show like crazy, etc., and god help if the A/C dies in summer...which it has IN EVERY CAR I'VE EVER OWNED AND ALWAYS IN THE FIRST YEAR OF OWNERSHIP. 2011 Honda Fit was no exception. 3 hour drive:

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/4090128026.html

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
10/22/13 3:03 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel: Man that is sharp

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/13 3:15 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Hnnnnnng!

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
10/22/13 3:19 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: This one is on the short list as well. Silver's growing on me. Doesn't look bad with tint. I've always been terrified to own a black car; tough to keep clean, swirls and scratches show like crazy, etc., and god help if the A/C dies in summer...which it has IN EVERY CAR I'VE EVER OWNED AND ALWAYS IN THE FIRST YEAR OF OWNERSHIP. 2011 Honda Fit was no exception. 3 hour drive: http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/4090128026.html

My first 944 turbo was black and , not only did the ac not work, but the hvac stuck in the hot position in the middle of summer and short of braking some E36 M3 I couldn't shut it off. That really sucked until I fixed it.

Javelin
10/22/13 3:35 p.m.

Here's another silver one with upgrades: http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4061049439.html

Or a black one for $10,500 but you'd have to go to Arkansas...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/22/13 3:59 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Here's another silver one with upgrades: http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4061049439.html Or a black one for $10,500 but you'd have to go to Arkansas...

The one in Arkansas is at a car wash. I wonder what the paint looks like really.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/22/13 4:17 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to poopshovel: Hnnnnnng!

email sent....

Sure would beat the hell out of flying cross-country.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/22/13 4:35 p.m.

Silver with tint and black wheels. Bad ass!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/22/13 6:03 p.m.

The black wheels = boi racer for me. Immediate turn-off.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/22/13 6:12 p.m.

Yeah, it seems like they only came in Black, Silver, Dark Red, and White. Silver is the new beige, black has all the problems poop mentioned (swirls, heat, looks dirty all the time), White is a color some cars can rock and some can't... not sure about the CTS-V. I'd go for red unless it's really rare.

I concur that black wheels on a silver Caddy is not a mature look.

Will
Will Dork
10/22/13 6:19 p.m.

I had a black 05. If I were to do it over again, I'd get a dark red or silver one. I mean, black was sexy as hell, but it stayed that way for about 42 minutes.

Course, I'm not sure I'd buy one again at all. But if I did, it wouldn't be black.

Javelin
10/22/13 6:37 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: The black wheels = boi racer for me. Immediate turn-off.

Aberkeleyingmen! Stay with silver or do a nice polished, or some of the newer high gloss gunmetal looks, anything but black!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/22/13 7:01 p.m.

I don't believe they were available in white. If they were, I haven't seen one. There was one labeled as white earlier in the thread, but it was silver.

Contacted dude about the one in SC. Says the mounts and diff are all original. I don't know how much that should scare me.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/22/13 7:01 p.m.
Will wrote: I had a black 05. If I were to do it over again, I'd get a dark red or silver one. I mean, black was sexy as hell, but it stayed that way for about 42 minutes. Course, I'm not sure I'd buy one again at all. But if I did, it wouldn't be black.

Aside from the color, what didn't you like about it?

Will
Will Dork
10/22/13 7:19 p.m.

The quality just wasn't there. Paint came off the radio/nav buttons. The radiator cracked. After a while the trans would slip out of sixth gear on occasion. The oil temp gauge would freak out thinking it was pegged, triggering the world's most annoying alarm. I broke the motor mounts. I had the diff mounts replaced under warranty at ~40k miles, and needed another set at ~90k. Finding wheels for it was a pain (Six lug hubs?! Really?!). I broke a shock, and you can only order the FG2 performance package shocks as a complete set ($1200), or at least that was the case when I had the car. And just on general principle, a 400 hp car should be able to do a burnout without breaking itself.

But it looked good, and the noises it made with the Corsa exhaust I put on it...oh lordy. Made a man weak in the knees. The ladies liked it, too.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
10/22/13 7:25 p.m.
Will wrote: The quality just wasn't there. Paint came off the radio/nav buttons. The radiator cracked. After a while the trans would slip out of sixth gear on occasion. The oil temp gauge would freak out thinking it was pegged, triggering the world's most annoying alarm. I broke the motor mounts. I had the diff mounts replaced under warranty at ~40k miles, and needed another set at ~90k. Finding wheels for it was a pain (Six lug hubs?! Really?!). I broke a shock, and you can only order the FG2 performance package shocks as a complete set ($1200), or at least that was the case when I had the car. And just on general principle, a 400 hp car should be able to do a burnout without breaking itself.

Sounds better than my Mini or the e36 I owned. I was on my 4th motor mount on the Mini by 80k miles...

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/22/13 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Will:

These seem like the common issues...which can presumably be resolved with aftermarket bits...which makes a car with upgraded mounts, diff, etc, way more interesting than a bone stock, low mile car to me. Thanks for the input. Food for thought.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/22/13 7:50 p.m.

I would bet that a car with stock mounts has been driven very gently. That could be good maybe.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/22/13 8:19 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: There was one labeled as white earlier in the thread, but it was silver.

Yeah, I really couldn't remember seeing a white CTS-V, and honestly I have a hard time imagining the color working for the car. Most white sedans tend to look like they belong to the phone company.

Up here I'd go for the black one and just live with the fact that it's going to look filthy all the time, but down there I can definitely see your reasoning for staying away from black. Is the red very common.

I'll be interested to hear about your ownership experience by the way, I was looking at the CTS-V when I bought my 350Z a couple years ago but the spectre of GM build quality scared me off. (which is hilarious, because I bought a Nissan.)

OSULemon
OSULemon New Reader
10/22/13 8:23 p.m.

This is the same price point as the GTO...any reason to go one way or the other?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
10/22/13 8:33 p.m.

Because Cadillac.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/22/13 8:49 p.m.

I find the GTO hideous, and lacking room for baby seats.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/22/13 8:54 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I would bet that a car with stock mounts has been driven very gently. That could be good maybe.

...until I break one on the test thrash.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/23/13 7:00 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: I find the GTO hideous

Hmm, this may be because they are, in fact, hideous.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
10/23/13 7:36 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: In reply to Will: These seem like the common issues...which can presumably be resolved with aftermarket bits...which makes a car with upgraded mounts, diff, etc, way more interesting than a bone stock, low mile car to me. Thanks for the input. Food for thought.

The one thing I forgot to mention, not a deal breaker but the berkeleying E brake is so dumb and for the most ineffective. It's as if your parking a truck and it doesn't hold the car that well on a hill. If only I could retrofit that!

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yip3rQLR20v9JHdVEOdmHPBxPDXbuGKO9fNOqFTHQWhwNi2dFhVxoJoU4opAbMuM