1 2
CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
8/25/10 8:32 p.m.

Well, I finally did it. After years of thinking the miata was gay or a chick car, then driving a friends and respecting it more, and many more years of other cars and the occasional urge to buy one, I've finally done it. Found a 99 with ~106k locally that the owner had a fair price on, but out of my reach, and after a half hour of just chatting about things other than the car, ended up at a screamin good deal, so I couldn't say no. After an afternoon of washing, cleaning up the engine bay, and polishing the head lights, I think it's starting to look pretty respectable. The paint's pretty crappy due to some vandalism and home repairs, but it'll suit my dd/weekend track day needs just fine!

After getting it cleaned up I took it for an extended test drive up to Katie's Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, VA. I strongly recommend anyone local to the DC area check it out, more pics here: http://lynnphotos.smugmug.com/Events

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/25/10 9:09 p.m.

Welcome to the cult. You'll get your info on the secret handshake shortly...

Edit: and don't forget to wave/flash your lights at your fellow brothers and sisters. We're a friendly bunch and don't bite.....much.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
8/25/10 9:30 p.m.

Either that... or you are a homo now :)

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/25/10 9:43 p.m.

Your not the only one

Just bought it this week to replace the E30 (know anyone who might want to buy a 325e automatic?)

8/25/10 9:44 p.m.

Relax New Reader. The entire Internet knows only secretaries and the gays drive Miatas. You have to become one or the other to even qualify for purchase. My own hazing was pretty graphic so I won't repeat it here.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/10 10:12 p.m.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/25/10 10:22 p.m.

Only car that truly needs a body kit lol

Luke
Luke SuperDork
8/25/10 10:38 p.m.

Awesome. That's a great colour for it.

Not to derail the thread, but I had to hotlink this picture from your C&C photos. Had to.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
8/25/10 11:01 p.m.

Every time I drive ours it makes me smile. Miatae have the amazing ability to make the straights feel fast and the corners feel slow.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/10 11:08 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote:

Is it wrong that I think I know the driver of that car?

Heck no. People have fun with cars. You could probably find a picture of a hearse that could be used in the same way.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
8/25/10 11:26 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Your not the only one Just bought it this week to replace the E30 (know anyone who might want to buy a 325e automatic?)

me. price?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/10 2:05 a.m.
Keith wrote:
thatsnowinnebago wrote:
Is it wrong that I think I know the driver of that car? Heck no. People have fun with cars. You could probably find a picture of a hearse that could be used in the same way.

Far from it, that's SUPER

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
8/26/10 6:18 a.m.
Luke wrote: Awesome. That's a great colour for it. Not to derail the thread, but I had to hotlink this picture from your C&C photos. Had to.

I had Miata's on the mind until I saw that. That is one of my all time favorite cars. Just plain sexy.

Klayfish
Klayfish New Reader
8/26/10 6:52 a.m.

Welcome to the addiction....

I got my '06 in February and I'm loving every second of it. And as for the "image" thing...my wife doesn't think I'm a gay secretery, so that's all that matters...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
8/26/10 7:13 a.m.

I like the idea of the Miata, I really do. I'm just six feet tall, but I have a longish torso and the only way I can drive a Miata is with the top down, looking OVER the windshield header. If I try to lay the seat back to get my head under the roof, there's no way I can reach the steering wheel and I feel like I'm in a recliner. The car is just too small, unless you're a munchkin.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
8/26/10 7:56 a.m.

We're going to look at a Miata tonight. I'm rapidly succumbing to the call. (Drove a ROUGH $1800 one last week, and even it felt "right") Besides, my sister-in-law needs a car... what better place to start, right?

Nathan

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/26/10 8:26 a.m.

This'll probably get me banned, but after a year of ownership, I've determined that, for me, the answer is not Miata. It's too small, too cramped, too slow, and find I don't have much use for a 2-seater (I have young kids) or a convertible top (seems like it's always either too hot or too cold). The older I get, the more I care about comfort. And my commute is almost 100% freeway and all I want to do is be able to hear the radio.

Or it could just by my ADD kicking in.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/26/10 8:42 a.m.

Well, Miata was the answer for me, too:

Tag is getting returned to the DMV so no point in looking me up. Only picture I have of the car, currently, but I'll take more later.

When do I get my decoder ring?

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/10 8:42 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I don't have much use for a 2-seater (I have young kids) Or it could just by my ADD kicking in.

Your problem, clearly, is only having ONE Miata. We solved the "young kids" problem by buying my wife a Miata, too. Nothing like "his" and "hers" sportscars

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
8/26/10 9:05 a.m.

Oh how I wish there was a hardtop 2+2 Miata...

Tom_Spangler
8/26/10 9:45 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Oh how I wish there was a hardtop 2+2 Miata...

I'd say "Protege", but it's wrong-wheel-drive.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
8/26/10 9:50 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:

Tim swore to me that an E30 M3 was exactly that. I was dubious, but when he let me drive his I was forced to agree...except for the reliability, cost, and feeling that everyone is laughing at you because they don't get how awesome it is to drive.

8/26/10 9:53 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Tim swore to me that an E30 M3 was exactly that. I was dubious, but when he let me drive his I was forced to agree...except for the reliability, cost, and feeling that everyone is laughing at you because they don't get how awesome it is to drive.

OMG!? You take that back. No one is laughing at E30 M3s. They are laughing with you.

Tom_Spangler
8/26/10 10:21 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Tim swore to me that an E30 M3 was exactly that. I was dubious, but when he let me drive his I was forced to agree...except for the reliability, cost, and feeling that everyone is laughing at you because they don't get how awesome it is to drive.

Well, because of the cost factor, there's a less than zero chance of me replacing my Miata with an E30 M3 when I do sell it. I'm hoping an E30 325is is "close enough" since they can be had for Miata money. Right now it's the most likely candidate for my next toy.

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/26/10 11:39 a.m.

Uhhhh... it does exist.... RX-8

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RrwbHOCXW5YNRbUBwBm9q6GvsQRQmgpjOfk8TNyJUoJb6kzPkzhR5uj6sR2qsnyw