Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/22 6:04 p.m.

So I've resigned myself to making my tiny dinghy into a jet boat by grafting in a jet ski drive.  Toyman will be proud.  After some exhaustive searches for jet pump housings that might be suitable for X hp, then finding lightweight power in that same X hp range, I decided I'll take the weight penalty and just cut and paste.

I know nothing about them other than PWCs are fun.  Name of the game here is hp/weight.  I don't need excessive hp, but this is GRM and we do stupid E36 M3 all the time, so why not go really fast before I die?

What I'm looking for is a good pick of PWC to hack for the drive.  Obviously, since it's an 8' x 4' boat with about 14" of freeboard, weight is an issue.  Having said that, I'm likely looking at the smaller end of the displacement spectrum.  Where I lack knowledge is in what some of them weigh.  For instance, a Rotax in the 650cc range might be lighter than a Yamaha in the 500cc range, or maybe there is a 750cc that makes 20 more hp for only 6 more lbs.  Or maybe there is a 400cc that makes 15 fewer hp, but weighs next to nothing.

And all of the above might be reliability wins or nightmares.

I've asked this on a PWC forum and the signal to noise ratio is such that I haven't had a single reply in a week.  Hoping maybe one of you folks has experience in the PWC world.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
3/27/22 11:19 a.m.

I can't comment on weight vs power, but around my area there are an awful lot of really cheap/free PWC adds. 

Most are non running but as long as they spin, and have good compression, they may be a good place to start. You may even get a trailer out of the deal. 

I've flipped a few PWC that had minor issues and were cheap fixes. I still scratch my head as to why the P.O. didnt just fix it themselves. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
whYpuJZWCzgs2XFho1z77nLKSh7ix7yh7aR9A0V8kW0oTEpP7ZvgYUfo4wSCcwa0