David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/24/24 10:48 a.m.

What’s a Rupp Go-Joe? Something you need. We all need one.

It’s a 1970 quad runner that would make a superb pit bike.

The BaT auction is about to close, too. 

David S. Wallens
9/24/24 10:49 a.m.

Also, would love some more info on that black Camaro in the background....

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/24 11:52 a.m.

I wonder if that thing would go through a 36" door if you replaced the tires with smooth golf cart tires. If it would, than after adding front electric motor hubs and 48 volts worth of batteries, it would work great for my elderly all terrain mobility scooter: Drive to Walcrap under gas power, switch over to battery power inside the store, and than drive back home under gas power.  At 55 mph smiley

Wikipedia.org: Rupp Industries

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/24/24 11:57 a.m.

From an online article I found:

"Initially the Go-Joe was fitted with an 8 bhp engine, a mini version was also made with a 3.5 bhp engine, and later in production a Kohler 295cc single-cylinder two-stroke engine was added as an option which gave the vehicle a top speed of 55 mph."

That last option sounds pretty terrifying.  

David S. Wallens
9/24/24 12:25 p.m.

That sounds beyond terrifying. 

David S. Wallens
9/24/24 12:49 p.m.

Less than an hour to go. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/24/24 1:17 p.m.

Rupp was THE BEST small engine "fun vehicle" manufacturer back in the day. They made tons of different things, including minibikes, go-karts, trikes, and whatever this thing is. And they always sell for all the money now. A few friends have Rupp minibikes as track bikes; super cool units!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/24/24 2:29 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Rupp was THE BEST small engine "fun vehicle" manufacturer back in the day. They made tons of different things, including minibikes, go-karts, trikes, and whatever this thing is. And they always sell for all the money now. A few friends have Rupp minibikes as track bikes; super cool units!

Yup.  I recall a neighborhood friend of mine circa 1975, that had a Rupp mini-bike.  Lots o' fun.

porschenut
porschenut Dork
9/24/24 3:36 p.m.

Had one with the kohler.  fiberglass was beat up, the nose was cut off badly.  Terrifying, it had a live rear axle and 1/4 turn throttle.  Bought for my 12 yo, he was terrified.   Scared me too, but with the tires pumped up it would do insane donuts on the street.  Sold it before anyone got hurt.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/24/24 9:55 p.m.

I always wanted a Rupp go kart, but I couldn't afford one as a kid and I can't afford one now - they've become very collectible.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/24/24 11:11 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

At 55mph, it will probably get you through the door. Violently.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7IoNM8n3aBTPElvkKDVOjMzCoS4ra5BFPQ5uF0yhmd8kz1QoVjUZZEKjRcUrJSGV