singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/5/15 10:38 a.m.

So, I have been informed that in approximately 1 years time I will be allowed to shop for a new ride. Currently, I am DDing a 2000 Honda Insight. It is a fine little commuter for my 85 miles a day (this is a 45 minute trip one way for you city folk), but driving at 70+ mph in the insight is like spending an hour and a half in a tin car shot out of a cannon.

Realistically, I should put 400K miles on it and be happy for the 47 mpgs. Some of you might have seen that I have been collecting turbo parts. This is happening in the summer, once my Galaxie is on the road again. I may change my mind about the Insight for everyday duty once I up the HP 30% but we will see.

This leads me to a few scenarios come next spring/summer.

1. Keep the Insight, be happy with my lot in life, and drive my Galaxie or a motorcycle to work when the weather is nice and I need a break from the space ship (named such by my coworkers)

2. Keep the Insight, buy another car (SWMBO is likely to nix this but a man can dream) like an LS400 or Hyundai Genesis for luxury DD splitting time with the Insight and to keep the miles down on the Lux car.

3. Sell the Insight, buy something that is more comfortable (most anything) be it a sportier car (V6/Ecoboost Mustang/V6 Genesis Coupe/frisbee) or a nice luxury car like above.

4. Keep the Insight, Sell my 2003 Suburban and buy something more reliable that can tow 6K lbs. Maybe a V8 4runner with XREAS package.

What would you guys do? Also, if I buy another car, the budget is likely to be 15k - 20k depending on if I keep the Insight/suburban. Financing around half, so nothing too old if it is more than 10K.

Thanks!!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/5/15 10:42 a.m.

Option 1 with a modifier from Option 3.

Keep Galaxie. Buy Motorcycle. Sell Insight. Buy Frisbee.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/15 10:43 a.m.

Trade the Insight for my 2002 Malibu. It comes with 400,000 mi preinstalled for you to enjoy, and when you park it you don't have to worry about bird poop or or asteroids landing on it like you would a new car.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/15 10:48 a.m.

The new answer is Fiesta ST

Slap some Prius tires on it and tweak the tune for the commute and you'll do 35mpg+ easily. Then swap on some R-Comps for the weekend and have fun fun fun.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
3/5/15 10:58 a.m.

Install turbo on insight and get a roll of dynamat to make it more livable on the long commute.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
3/5/15 11:03 a.m.
2002maniac wrote: Install turbo on insight and get a roll of dynamat to make it more livable on the long commute.

This is the what I would do. Plus a much much better stereo the one in the insight sucks.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/5/15 11:18 a.m.

Weary - The Insights stereo was gone within weeks of my buying it. I still need to build a small sub box for the trunk box.

GPS - I already have 4 motorcycles and only one of them is being sold in the spring. Also, the Galaxie is a basketcase and a family heirloom. It isn't going anywhere.

Wally - While I absolutely love preinstalled miles, I am going to have to pass.

Pinch - The ST is definitely on my list of must drives when the time comes. I forgot to mention it above.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
3/5/15 11:19 a.m.

K-swap the Insight.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/5/15 11:25 a.m.

335D? used I have seen them come down in price, 400lb ft of torque almost 300hp and still get high 30's?

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
3/5/15 11:49 a.m.
Jaynen wrote: 335D? used I have seen them come down in price, 400lb ft of torque almost 300hp and still get high 30's?

Interesting idea, but you have to balance the mileage against the high cost of diesel fuel.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/5/15 12:49 p.m.

And I am not too tempted by German electronics (except Porsche, which is out of my range). I like the 335D but on my DD, I would like it to not have the German parts price. I know that is very model specific but I don't think that the 335D would even be the best in it's category. Those torques are nice but I can't tow with it.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
3/5/15 1:00 p.m.

Keep the Turbo Insight add sound deadening and insulating material. Make decision after that. How often do you use the tow rig?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/5/15 1:04 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: GPS - I already have 4 motorcycles and only one of them is being sold in the spring. Also, the Galaxie is a basketcase and a family heirloom. It isn't going anywhere.

Well then... all you need to do is trade the insight for something comfy and ... all set. A leftover '14 BR-Z would be high on my picklist if you are looking for a new warranted ride.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ro1btcRBvxoBaFAGY2MGgzvUWr9NQ4Q3Ncm31caVv6OpGqLlMpTGSe13Ea9qiczT