1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
UrSubscriber17
UrSubscriber17
6/1/20 6:18 p.m.

Thanks to the Suddards and the entire GRM family for making your public statement about George Floyd. Our society is in conflict, and all of us need to speak out for the values that we were brought up to live by--remember the pledge of allegiance ends with "...and liberty and justice for all."

I'm disheartened but not shocked by some of the off-kilter responses in this forum. They're a huge minority, and I'm grateful for that. But the BS about the SPLC is just that...it's not the SPLC that's changed, it's our society that's moved in some dangerous ways. 

For some insights into why George Floyd, and all of the others that have suffered at the hands of law enforcement of our society, check out this 18 minutes by a man who has lived under South African Apartheid, Trevor Noah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4amCfVbA_c

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/1/20 6:24 p.m.

Agreed

CJ (He's Just an FS)
CJ (He's Just an FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/1/20 6:34 p.m.

In the face of what is happening, I am proud to be associated, in even a small way, with people who have seen wrong and have tried to do something about it. 

Thanks GRM.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
6/1/20 6:36 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:
datsunroadster said:

In reply to L5wolvesf :

I guess that's probably why they fired him. 

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/14/703526235/southern-poverty-law-center-fires-morris-dees-its-co-founder

Snowdoggie said:

"datsunroadster" just registered and logged in here today to post dirt about the SPLC. 

Thanks for posting those. He/it doesn't seem to be worth responding to.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/1/20 6:38 p.m.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/03/29/us/splc-leadership-crisis/index.html

from very left leaning CNN

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2022301001

USA today

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-reckoning-of-morris-dees-and-the-southern-poverty-law-center?source=search_google_dsa_paid&gclid=CjwKCAjwztL2BRATEiwAvnALcjI-RH40GNTazH12dgvKdRNpYA-gj82oQNLB0cl8U7lfJG3g2Q-JzBoC-oUQAvD_BwE

New Yorker

And for the record, I said well intentioned and misguided.  I will stick to that.  

I'm not sure if I should expand on murder by the police and racism and how I find this country more racist everyday.  Not taking any political side, but there are clearly people labeling, calling and making everything racist in order to turn profits and gain votes.  I cannot support that, even indirectly.  

I feel as if my time serving this country, my grandfathers death serving this country and the lives of all that served are being spat upon and dishonored.  All the while I'm being told it's a "net good."  

No, giving to a law firm that says one thing, and does very different things, is not a net benefit to anyone.  SPLC is in fact fanning the flames of racism making the horrible things we see today possible.  Keep following in misguided belief with a good heart, and you will find yourself more confused as to why all this is happening and thinking you "must" do something else.  

They continue to fan the flames by claiming anyone that doesn't agree with their far left sentiments is a racist hate group.  

I'm really unhappy about this, and for the record I hate both the extreme left and extreme right and love this country and sll the people in the middle.  Stay towards the middle and don't let yourself be swayed by the pretty words and ideas of the extremes.  SPLC is very extreme.

And in case you are wondering why I say they are fanning the flames.  Remember Dees said they are just selling a product?  Well they sell racism and hate, take you pick.

What happened to George Floyd was a horrific murder caught on camera.  Donating to the SPLC does not help.  It just ensures that plenty of pallets of bricks and paymemts will be available to burn down our cities and kill those who are trying to protect their homes, businesses, familes and themselves.  The extreme left and right both want racial divide and violence which are not natural to the US or our values.  Donating to either cause just adds to their resources.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/1/20 6:39 p.m.

Good people live here 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
6/1/20 6:40 p.m.

wow....  I honestly didn't expect something like this to be posted here, but I'm grateful for it.

Thank you to the staff for what you do, and thank you to the community for being so amazing.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
T.J. said:
L5wolvesf said:
Staff of Motorsport Marketing, Inc. said:

We stand against racism. We stand against violence. We stand for inclusion. We stand for a free press. We stand for speaking out, together.

This I agree with 100%.

I find it interesting that none of those who don't like the SPLC have not provided any links to their claims. 

We are not allowed to discuss politics.

Tom Suddard said:

We don't believe human rights are political, and we did not see silence as a viable option here. 

I too do not consider human rights to be political - they are fundamental.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
Tom Suddard said:

We don't believe human rights are political, and we did not see silence as a viable option here. 

Thanks, Suddard family.

And one should note that none of the dissenting posts are being removed, or that I can tell, people are being banned.  But it is important to separate the basics of being human vs simple politics.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 6:44 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

GRM must be doing something right if they pissed off Dr Hess and Steve Jones and brought a bunch of single post sock puppets out of the woodwork.

I'm not angry at all, I just won't donate next time. If you want "donations" to keep the lights on, no problem. To turn around and use it to donate to another cause, that's pretty lousy. If they donated to planned parenthood, that's cool? NRA? For them to preach no politics, then donate to a political group and announce it here, is hypocrisy at its finest.

Some of us donate without the need to tell everyone about it. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/1/20 6:46 p.m.

I don't agree with the choice of the charity, but it GRM's money and they can spend it how they choose.

I disagree that police officers are racist.  I am not racist and neither are any of the officers I work with every day.  Don't judge thousands of people who selflessly serve their communities based on the actions of a few idiots.

Lumping all people together based on one aspect of their lives is both ignorant and dangerous.  Isn't saying police officers are racist kind of the same thing as making disparaging remarks or having negative opinions about a person based on something as ridiculous as the color of their skin. 

I do come here to talk about cars and I will continue to do so.  I am however a little disappointed with the political slant here lately.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/1/20 6:48 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

GRM must be doing something right if they pissed off Dr Hess and Steve Jones and brought a bunch of single post sock puppets out of the woodwork.

This is my thinking as well.   Sounds like they all need to pay the troll toll to get into ........

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 6:49 p.m.
yupididit said:
Tom Suddard said:

I see comments on post made by famous people. They'll support a cause or speak out against an injustice, and a number of their fans will say "stick to comedy/music/acting". As if they aren't allowed to use their influence to support what they believe in. As if because they have fans or subscribers they aren't allowed to speak their mind. 

Some E36 M3 if ya ask me.

They can speak their mind and support what they believe in, no problem. People can then choose to support them or not. I think what many here have an issue with is crying about going under, then using that money to support a controversial group. Would you be ok if they donated to the FOP and posted that?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork

When I signed up to serve I swore an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States.  One part of that Constitution is Freedom of Speech.  That applies to those I agree with and disagree with.  

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
L5wolvesf said:
Snowdoggie said:
datsunroadster said:

In reply to L5wolvesf :

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/14/703526235/southern-poverty-law-center-fires-morris-dees-its-co-founder

Snowdoggie said:

"datsunroadster" just registered and logged in here today to post dirt about the SPLC. 

Quite honestly, I am sick and tired of seeing these guys NOT getting responded to here. They get angry and call names and everybody else just backs away from them. 

I think this is a GOOD development for this board. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 6:50 p.m.

Perfect. On point. No need for discussion in this thread. 

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
6/1/20 6:50 p.m.

Thank you to the Suddards and the rest of GRM. 

You have a supporter and customer for life.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/1/20 6:52 p.m.
Type Q said:

Thank you to the Suddards and the rest of GRM. 

You have a supporter and customer for life.

I will be extending my subscription. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/1/20 6:53 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
yupididit said:
Tom Suddard said:

I see comments on post made by famous people. They'll support a cause or speak out against an injustice, and a number of their fans will say "stick to comedy/music/acting". As if they aren't allowed to use their influence to support what they believe in. As if because they have fans or subscribers they aren't allowed to speak their mind. 

Some E36 M3 if ya ask me.

They can speak their mind and support what they believe in, no problem. People can then choose to support them or not. I think what many here have an issue with is crying about going under, then using that money to support a controversial group. Would you be ok if they donated to the FOP and posted that?

I operate in a world of acronyms but I do not know what FOP is. 

Google says Fraternal Order of Police, if that's what you meant then what does that have to do with me. I have nothing against the police sad

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/1/20 6:53 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

When I signed up to serve I swore an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States.  One part of that Constitution is Freedom of Speech.  That applies to those I agree with and disagree with.  

First off thank you for your service.  Secondly I agree. I may not agree with the political views of the staff/owners but I will go down swinging for their right to express it (as long as it doesn't involve ridgelines). I don't necessarily agree but it's their choice. I do like that they are trying to keep the focus in the man and not the actions we see today 

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
6/1/20 6:55 p.m.

The unfortunate reality of the new political age is that all politics is personal and everything personal is political.  

The organization in question is deeply involved in politics and unfortunately a donation to nearly any organization whatever the stripe risks alienating a friend or supporter. 

I deeply oppose the theory that politics is the moral equivalent of war and think we are too quick to pull the trigger on economic punishment of those we disagree with, so I’m sticking around for now and will see what the future holds but offer a friendly, respectful suggestion:  maybe just saying “we have made a donation in support of an organization we think can help effect the changes we hope to see following this tragic event” would be sufficient.  

Hoping we can continue to enjoy GRM as a politics-free oasis of car folks  

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 6:57 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

Who is lumping all police into the racist bin?  There have been literally thousands of police that have been openly supporing the rights of people protesting, have been openly supporting the protest, and some very much speaking out against the violence.

When did accuse 4 police racists = all of them?

Makes no sense.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
6/1/20 7:01 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:
L5wolvesf said:
Snowdoggie said:
datsunroadster said:

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Snowdoggie said:

Quite honestly, I am sick and tired of seeing these guys NOT getting responded to here. They get angry and call names and everybody else just backs away from them. 

I think this is a GOOD development for this board. 

IMO, responding to someone who comes on a (generally) non-"political" site to spew racist and other hate based points is not going to hear anything that is said.  Their views and anger tend to be very deeply ingrained - nothing I say will change that. Been there etc. If you believe responding is worth the effort then I truly applaud you for that.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 7:01 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yes, Fraternal Order of Police. If they donated to support the police at this moment, and posted here, that's not political?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/1/20 7:02 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Well put Stampie.  Thank you for your service 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
iwzEiKzZe5qmF41hyoeVqe5qKdddekSCoBaXFd7BiMaS5ZlVTIJH3JMztr4X5Evj