Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
8/27/12 11:37 a.m.

I was driving my son's 1998 Subie Impreza yesterday when I notice that the clutch pedal is slightly slow to return. If you relase the clutch and get on the gas, it will slip as the clutch pedal talkes about a full second to move the first inch. It then snaps back and clamps fine. It won't slip, even when intentionally lugging the engine, or under max acceleration.

I was thinking clutch master cylinder and I see a part listed, but I cannot find one under the hood. I would think pressure plate (and it is a possibility), but I installed a new clutch (pressure plate and all) about 15,000 or 20,000 miles ago. A Zoom clutch, if I remember correctly.

What says the board?

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
8/27/12 11:45 a.m.

A 98 Imp will have a cable clutch so that's why you couldn't find the MC.

The cable may be wearing out and sticking though? Other tan playing limbo under the dash, they're not too hard to replace.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/12 12:20 p.m.

Sticking clutch regulator valve?

Newer cars have them, they limit the speed of clutch engagement to prevent idiot drivers from causing drivetrain damage.

Edit: D'oh foot in mouth again, cable clutch. So +1 for worn cable.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
8/27/12 12:44 p.m.

I thought it was a cable clutch, but I kept seeing a master cylinder listing. Thanks guys.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/27/12 1:57 p.m.

98 Impreza's list a clutch cable and a MC, so you will need to check. From what I can see Outback Sport's and L model's have cables, the rest hydraulic.

A number of Subaru's with hydraulic clutches have a device, as noted above, that limits how quickly they react. I would check that.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
8/27/12 2:09 p.m.

Once time in my dads 96 outback (cable clutch), the clutch jammed somehow all the way disengaged, after banging on the end of the clutch fork for a while on the side of the freeway it snapped back and has been fine since then (like 6 months ago). If its a cable clutch it should be easy to tell right? The clutch fork sticks out the top of the bell housing if i remember right.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/12 2:14 p.m.

You can check next to the brake MC for the clutch master cylinder or next to the fork for the presence of a hydraulic actuator (or cable bracket). I guess a clutch MC could be hidden somewhere else but I've never seen a production vehicle that didn't have it right next to the brake MC.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/27/12 2:29 p.m.

On subies if it is hydraulic, it is on the opposite side of the brake cylinder than would make make sense(closer to the middle). By the pedal, they have an extension that goes up near the gas pedal. Also has spring there that can help adjust pedal firmness.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/12 3:04 p.m.

I think the only GC Impreza with a hydraulic clutch was the 2.5rs. Just like any other car with a cable clutch the springs, what-nots, and doo-dads on the Impreza clutch can get sticky and cause exactly what you describe.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9aPR3D9rg5slHavBAFYlJxL5xMviJ3kveunnnvS7Ly6bIX7osTUQMBQUmhIYZmRG