1 2 3
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 3:06 p.m.

I've got a complete running CTS-V with an LS6.  Love the way it drives. Just not a fan of the Caddy.  It's in race car trim. I want a clean street driver.

I was gonna put the motor and trans in my 1960 El Camino. It would be really cool, but I'm not actually sure I'd drive it much once finished. 

So, I'm considering whether a different home might be a better choice.

I like classic sports cars and some muscle cars. Love a nimble mountain carver.  My partner doesn't muscle cars or Miatas. She likes SOME classic sports cars (such as the Austin Healey Sprite, MGA, 356, AC Cobra...).  She's a fan of cute cars (yes to micro cars, Bugeye, etc).  She also likes FJ40s (yeah, that's an odd combination)

We'd like a nice beach cruiser.  Convertible would be great.  Must be a good handler.

I feel like the LS6 is overkill for most small sports cars, and that an FJ40 is too top heavy to be fun to drive.  I could really enjoy dropping it in a muscle car, but she won't be a fan.

Kit cars (like a 356, C1, or Cobra replica) are OK.  Needs to be a clean start roller with minimal fabrication and bodywork.

Budget... I'd love to stay under $10K for a non-runner.  Could stretch that...

Suggestions?  1..2..3.. GO!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/8/24 3:15 p.m.

My truck?

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
3/8/24 3:18 p.m.

How about something in the more modern classic convertible category , like an E30 or a Mercedes R107 SL, XJS, or FC RX7? 

A bit earlier how about an MGB or late C3 Corvette or TR7? 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/8/24 3:26 p.m.

Actual answer: 914

But seriously bring it up here and we'll install it in the truck with a carb and we can drive it this summer.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
3/8/24 3:38 p.m.

E36 cabrio...

came here to say Tuna's truck, but i kinda think an E36 ragtop with an LS6 would be a great beach cruiser.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/8/24 3:45 p.m.

VW Bus, ring gear flipped to make it mid engined.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/24 3:53 p.m.

Don't do an fc rx7.  Too many parts are getting hard to find.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 4:04 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

VW Bus, ring gear flipped to make it mid engined.

Where is 914Driver? 😊

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 4:06 p.m.

Some great suggestions here.  I like the BMW ideas.

Modern classic may be the direction.

So far, she likes the R107 SL best.

Any others?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/24 4:13 p.m.

My Monte Carlo. Seriously though, I love the look of late 80s Mercedes, and would look for the nicest 300E I could find that needed an engine. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/8/24 4:17 p.m.

Starion.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
3/8/24 4:21 p.m.

240sx convertible would be fun beach machine.  

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/8/24 4:32 p.m.

Vorshlag makes BMW swap stuff for the E36 and E46. That gets you the Z3 or Z4 for cute but comfy/classy convertible two seaters, and gets you sedan/coupe based convertibles as well. They are pricey, but from what I can tell they make really nice and complete solutions for a swap.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/8/24 4:40 p.m.

Can  you get a decent BMW roller for this kind of budget?

If you like Healeys, these fiberglass versions are not crazy expensive if you can find one

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/24 4:43 p.m.

BiTurbo!!

What is hard to tell about the BiTrubo from pictures, but seeing one in real life it become obvious...these cars look almost square.  What I mean is they are interesingly wide and interestingly short.  

Generally, the car is comparable to a BMW e30, but... 

Biturbo is nearly 5 inches shorter and nearly 5 inches wider while being 3 inches less tall and 3 inches less wheelbase.  

This poor picture captures the length difference (with an odd ride height on the BiTurbo) but doesn't simultaneously capture the width difference.  

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/8/24 4:46 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Can  you get a decent BMW roller for this kind of budget?

Yes indeed!

Expensive example searching for a newer one on Facebook marketplace

2010 Z4 $9,950

FBM is filled with cheaper and slightly older versions.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/8/24 5:06 p.m.

996 911 cabrio or boxster

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/8/24 5:26 p.m.

Marketplace - Austin Healey kit car project | Facebook.....and it's not one of the ones with thesilly fender flares.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/24 5:58 p.m.

My other suggestion for your Cadillac drivetrain.  A retro interpretation of Cadillac V.  What if the V division existed in the mid 70's?

$5k will buy you a Seville that was garage kept with neat interior that can actually be driven home.   $2k, might need a motor.  or  $6.5k drive it home

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/8/24 6:10 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

These are so awesome but I can never find one that isn't beat to crap

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/8/24 6:11 p.m.

Here's a new one and I would absolutely love to do this: 55-57 Ford T-bird on a Art Morrison or Roadster Shop chassis. Believe it or not, they're front mid-engine and a good chassis would wake it up. Certainly classic look; doesn't much more classic. The stock chassis is a POS...

Of course, the Healey 3000 would fit that bill too. I remember driving a friends's 100-6 with a 289/C4 decades ago and how much fun that thing was. There's a lot of them out there awaiting your LS6. Of course, 500hp and 2500 lbs makes for a potent combo.

How 'bout a Porsche 968 Cabrio with a blown engine?

The Boxster is already over done but 500hp in a 987.1 S would be ... interesting.

You could get there with a 996 911 but packaging is always challenging. And the balance is a little off unless you start with a Carrera 4.

There, that's my $0.02...

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/24 7:45 p.m.

The Roadkill Muscle Truck is LS6.  Ever hear that at full chat?  It'll send a shiver up your spine.  

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/24 7:50 p.m.

Or, since I won't get a 3 page long retort about why it's a terrible idea, why not a sexy Jag XJS?  I haven't checked for awhile.  Are they still cheap?

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
3/8/24 8:05 p.m.

LSs are an odd shape for classic Benzes. They prefer Fords for oil pump clearance. I do love the idea of the R107 though

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Di8cVzUIqu14QasmZUzKT3t21W41pHdvirhK8smfYOCaQa1PR501wgkWJQfKYbIR