speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
12/28/11 3:53 p.m.

Hey guys,I have this car that I inherited when I married my wife.Its a Syrena Sport.We have it at our home in Poland right now but would like to bring it back here to the US because were only there a couple times a year and it don't get driven that much.It was produced in the 60's when they could not export anything so it never made it world wide.Heres a picture of one like it color and all.No pics of the real one on this computer. 1) can it be imported? 2)Is it worth it if it can be? Thanks

Photobucket

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
12/28/11 3:57 p.m.

That's really interesting. What is the drive train / chassis like? Is it Skoda-based?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/11 3:59 p.m.

Being that old I would think you should be able to bringit over without any issues.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
12/28/11 4:04 p.m.

Looks really cool, except the wheels, Those caps gotta go.

either wire wheels

or minilites

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/11 4:07 p.m.

It's over 25 years old, so it can come in with no issues.

"Under 49 U.S.C. § 30112(a), a person may not permanently import into the United States a motor vehicle manufactured after the date that an applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) takes effect unless the vehicle complies with the standard and is so certified by its original manufacturer. This prohibition applies to both new and used motor vehicles, but does not apply to motor vehicles that are at least 25 years old (based on the date that the vehicle was manufactured)."

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/11 4:11 p.m.

SYRENA SPORT

Are you sure that is the car? The above link and Wikipedia say that the only prototype built was destroyed in the 70s.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/11 4:12 p.m.

I've never seen or heard of those before, but from the photo, I would guess that it's front wheel drive and fiberglass?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/28/11 4:25 p.m.

I think it can be imported

fill out this form for safety: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/hs799short.pdf (you'll check the first box)

Fill out this form for emissions: http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/forms/3520-1.pdf (you'll check the code E box)

And make sure you have the title (or a bill of sale I think works)

also I have the e-mail address of someone in Budapest that ships vehicles in containers from Budapest to New York, or Miami if you're interested (e-mail address is on my work account so I can get it tomorrow)

Cost for a container is about $2200, plus a couple hundred $ for paperwork etc.

Of course, if you need someone to "watch" it for you, I do live in Hungary

Good luck, and nice car!

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/28/11 4:31 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: SYRENA SPORT Are you sure that is the car? The above link and Wikipedia say that the only prototype built was destroyed in the 70s.

They definitely look the same.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/11 4:32 p.m.

Only you can decide if it's worth to import your car.

I've brought in a couple of motorcycles under the 25 year exemption that Javelin mentioned above and it was fairly painless, but then again I live in a place with no smog checks. Smog laws still apply unfortunately so you'd have to look into that locally.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
12/28/11 4:42 p.m.

Get pictures or details first. This site has a good history of the car:

http://www.carlustblog.com/2010/06/syrena-sport.html

The problem is, the Syrena Sport was considered too individualistic by the Polish Communist Party, so it was destroyed. I'm guessing the Syrena is either a replica or the much more sedate-looking sedan the Sport model was based off of:

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/11 5:21 p.m.

That history is awesome! It does seem to indicate that the only one made was destroyed, so if you have one...

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/28/11 5:50 p.m.

Do it, and good luck.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
12/28/11 11:31 p.m.

I know what wiki says but its not true they produced them over there in Poland and were allowed to drive them.Is just like the Berkeley.2 cyl.front wheel drive.Theres kinda a car group over there for them.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan HalfDork
12/29/11 12:29 a.m.

I found pictures out there of at least an example or that are being restored; so this seems to be a classic case of why wikipeadia lacks credibility. I wholeheartedly encourage importing it. You'd almost definitely have the only one in the country and it's better that the car is driven and not left sitting in storage.

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/29/11 12:37 p.m.

I can't read polish but it looks like a few syrena sports exists (at least in the digital realm)...linky

Sure is a cool looking car. The sides and roof have a definite Raymond Loewy/'53 Studebaker look:

The most beautiful car of the 50s IMHO.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JatG9YNDvo5uLg6qDGgYP4gyvdI4dhEwvYyvTph1eGo9FgEIRMKPT6RQPAYwiKdV