Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
4/8/09 11:38 a.m.

The entry-level MINI Cooper has a lot going for it. You don’t need to go for the more expensive supercharged Cooper S to get a car that handles amazingly well, gets great gas mileage, and has a healthy aftermarket. In fact, we think the base Cooper is closer to the concept of the original Mini, since it uses its small …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 178 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

collins_dan
collins_dan New Reader
9/19/24 5:58 p.m.

What about suspension? My 2011 shocks are starting to go. Should I just replace them, or upgrade to something more adjustable? Are any of the coilover kits worth considering? 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
9/19/24 6:23 p.m.

Holy zombies Batman!!!  15 year old canoe, that's an antique.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
9/19/24 9:37 p.m.

It's a canoe? This article is posted on the home page as a TBT.

I wonder how many of these Minis are left... I like the idea of them so much, but the problems were, plentiful. Are the NA ones less problematic than the turbo?

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
9/20/24 4:20 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

I think a some of issues come from the extra heat coming from the SC on this gen. I have no personal experience but taking a look around, the naturally aspirated, or R50, is super inexpensive. Or at least is for initial buy in. 

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
9/20/24 5:46 p.m.

Oh that's right, this gen S used a supercharger, I shouldn't forget because I can hear the pulley in my mind!

TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
9/20/24 6:06 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Holy zombies Batman!!!  15 year old canoe, that's an antique.

Its not a zombie thread, its something to do with the way they post/lock/resurrect old articles.  This was pushed into the feed today prior to that post.

ojannen
ojannen GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/20/24 7:44 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

They just have standard bmw problems.  There are fewer mind blowing mini-specific problems on the manual n/a hatchback.  The clutch is a little small, strut mushrooming requires a strut top plate, and regular bmw oil leak/coolant leak/fuel pump/window regulator issues.

A broken convertible top pretty much totals the cars these days.  I am low key looking for one for a challenge build.

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
9/20/24 8:00 p.m.

In reply to ojannen :

Not sure how true it is, but they seem fairly simple to work on. I feel like FCPEuro built or had a feature on one for Sundae cup. Maybe a gen newer. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KuCrQbd2bpHTNahwwWG8s4HnUM7aM8qApKHOLknk7L2zSWsaAF1wHWm1P4RRn0zC