1 2
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/15 9:45 a.m.
Graefin10 wrote: When I read your question I recalled doing it but after thinking about it I realized in was in the early 80s. I used lacquer with an additive. It was on two 914s I restored. It didn't perfectly match the original but looked good and lasted a long time. I'd go to NAPA or another automotive paint supplier and see what's available today. There's probably a better product today. I also used a "stone guard" which created a tough textured finish for Porsche rocker panels. I'm sure that's still available today. I hope you'll post some pictures of how your car turns out.

started a build thread last night. at this point, with a new skin coming, i'm leaning toward welding up the vinyl top trim holes and painting the top with the rest of the body. i REALLY love vinyl top A bodies though. at this point i have fears of the package tray being rotted under the trunk filler panel, and having to keep cutting out before i can put back together.

pirate
pirate Reader
5/30/15 7:07 p.m.
TIGMOTORSPORTS wrote: In reply to pirate: I used this (Durabak) on the floor and inner roof of my interior on a 78 Camaro Were you happy with the results? How easy or hard to apply?
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
5/30/15 8:18 p.m.

I bet if you screw around with air pressure in the gun and set up time between coats, you could get plastidip to texture. Finish and paint the roof properly, then dip it for the vinyl effect. Then you have the choice of either.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
5/31/15 8:21 a.m.

In reply to pirate:

I was happy with the result. I used the smooth texture since it was for the inside.

I used basic Rustoleum bed liner in a gallon can from Wal Mart on my son's 2000 Impala:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2000-chevy-impala-9c1-reborn/97549/page1/

The hood and trunk didn't turn out as well as the fenders bumpers and quarter panels. I used a roller on the hood and trunk. The other panels I used a cheap $1 walmart chip brush and "blotted on" 3 coats.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
5/31/15 8:29 a.m.

We had a lot of questions and compliments on the bedliner paint on the Impala at the Ohio Mile recently. A couple of P71 owners came by after running 125 to see the our V8 (it's a 3800 V6).

One mentioned if we were using the old Richard Petty black top trick:

http://richardpettyfans.proboards.com/thread/840

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g72ppFMOKEPLIS2fzRR7muu7QnCbr52SYghQsBWhrmVAntQoJPG4ZsO92w4VDTs4