1 2
mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/19/21 10:58 a.m.
dean1484 said:

At the shop I help out at now and then a member of a famous rock band that lives in town drives early 90s Camry's. Yes plural. He has several. To him they are the perfect car. He keeps replacing them as he wares them out (or they rust apart) with low millage clean examples. 

That's hard for me to imagine. To each his or her own, but.....  I have a deep-seated, burning hatred for those old Camrys.  It stems from my years working a job that saw me in at least 5-7 different rental cars a month back in that era.  I would actually cringe whenever (all too often) the clerk at the rental counter would hand me the keys, and I'd see "Camry" on the tag.  Don't get me wrong, they were not bad cars.  Actually, if anything they were TOO good, too perfect.  In their relentless pursuit of ultimate reliability, the engineers at Toyota accidentally proved that a car can be "too perfect".  They engineered out pretty much all the flaws and weak points, resulting in a car that was completely without objectionable traits, and also without any soul or sense of joy or enthusiasm.  They were bland, antiseptic, there was nothing memorable about driving one, nothing interesting.  I think a car NEEDS some flaws, some weird little shortcoming that gives it some character, that makes you remember driving it.  As I have  said since those days, all Camry's, whatever the paint color, are Beige.  

I haven't driven the new generation Camry.  It is certainly better-looking than the old ones, and perhaps it's more interesting to drive, but, no manual gearbox option equals "no thanks" for me.  I'll probably me the last person in the US daily driving a manual transmission vehicle, as long as they don't completely disappear from the market before I die....  indecision

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
1/19/21 11:05 a.m.

we keep stuff a long time.  not as long as some of you guys but long by Average Joe standards these days.  i just get attached and feel like if a car's not letting me down, it deserves to keep getting driven and i usually "commit to the platform" and improve it as much as i can.  add a lot of sentimental memories and we basically only get rid of cars if we're forced to.

had our '03 Xterra for 13 years and about 100k miles.  other than some cosmetics, still in really good shape but it had to go due to just a basic lack of size and towing capability.  sold it to a local guy that gave it to his hardworking neice as a high school graduation gift so she could have a college car, because she came from a family of limited means.  sometimes who you sell the car to is just as important as who you buy it from.  it made us really happy and we still see it around town to this day.

i had my old 05 subaru RS for 10 years.  first car i bought after graduating college.  it taught me just about everything i now know about how to work on basic modifications and maintenance.  it was slow and drove rough but put up with a lot of abuse.  put 100k on that one too, and then it was rear ended by a kid in his mom's SUV.  total loss.  still had a ton of miles left in it, hopefully somebody yanked the engine at the junkyard.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3nUtrHmh0fKZMP1JhHOcGpKcvxprMzaWkl0ETCOg6W6gXDNRFsw3yHKdlrKA17wM