1 2
pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/19 10:06 a.m.

Just announced: for 2020, Toyota is canning the super-dated Yaris hatch as it currently exists, and replacing it with a Toyota-fied Mazda2 hatchback:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26062013/toyota-yaris-hatchback-mazda-2-confirmed-2020/

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/29/19 10:19 a.m.

So, the 2015 Scion iA (which was a 4 dr mini-sedan built by Mazda - a Mazda2 sedan) then became the 2016-2017 Toyota iA and then became the 2018-2019 Toyota Yaris Sedan.   All that while, the Yaris hatchback was the same Toyota hatch since 2012 model.

For 2020 the genuine Toyota hatch is being replaced with the Mazda based hatch or generally a hatch version if the iA.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/29/19 10:20 a.m.

So let me get this straight..... Subaru makes the FR86. The new Supra is a BMW and their Yaris is now a Mazda.  Is toyota making any of their own cars now?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/29/19 10:23 a.m.

Amen to that, it's is super weird.  Their strategy must be to pour all their R&D into crossovers and suvs, then just buy their small car product from suppliers.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/29/19 11:14 a.m.
bobzilla said:

So let me get this straight..... Subaru makes the FR86. The new Supra is a BMW and their Yaris is now a Mazda.  Is toyota making any of their own cars now?

camry...

:(

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/29/19 11:14 a.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

OK, let me rephrase that.... what does toyota build that anyone with a brain wants to drive?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/19 11:19 a.m.

The other day, I was driving a Fiat 124 Spider and came across a Jeep Renegade. So I was in a Japanese car that was pretending to be (very) Italian and I met an Italian car that was pretending to be (very) American. It's a good thing we didn't meet a BMW X1, because then we would have had a German car that pretends to be (very) British pretending to be a (very) German car.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/29/19 11:36 a.m.
bobzilla said:

OK, let me rephrase that.... what does toyota build that anyone with a brain wants to drive?

Corolla hatchback 6mt

4runner PRo 

land cruiser 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
1/29/19 12:13 p.m.

Mazda makes good stuff, outsourcing this to them makes sense for all concerned.

There are so many different manufacturers building essentially the same product, it makes sense for lower volume and lower profit vehicles to share economies of scale. I think that's what Toyota is doing. Smaller cars and sports/performance cars are now such a small niche that we're going to lose products if manufacturers don't do this kind of thing.

I have no personal experience, but supposedly the new Camry is much improved.

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/29/19 12:14 p.m.

I'm okay with this. Sidenote: I've actively been looking at used 2s for my next car

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/29/19 12:43 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I'm confused as to what's wrong with a Camry.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/29/19 12:50 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

its not an avalon?

:P

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/19 1:02 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

In reply to dculberson :

its not an avalon?

:P

Honestly, if I was shopping for a big comfy cruiser to drive every day, I can’t think of anything I would buy over a new Avalon XSE Hybrid. It amazes me that they can get 43MPG out of a car this big.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/29/19 1:02 p.m.
dculberson said:
bobzilla said:

Is it still grounded to the ground?

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/29/19 1:04 p.m.

and to be honest most camry v6s these days are faster than a lot of 80s super cars - I was having this chat the other day with my neighbor friend who has worked with MB-USA for the past 25 years and to think not long ago 240hp out of a v8 was a big deal now we have 300hp v6 camrys with 8 speed gearboxes is crazy to think what we will have 20 years from now!

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/29/19 1:21 p.m.

I think it is good to see car makers collaborating like this, much better than just killing their passenger car lines because they can't make enough money on them.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/29/19 1:23 p.m.
bobzilla said:
dculberson said:
bobzilla said:

Is it still grounded to the ground?

Plenty of good cars have had bad commercials. Plenty of bad cars have had good commercials. Marketing has no bearing on how good (or bad) a car is.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/29/19 1:41 p.m.

I loved my Mazda2. Toyota says the current Yaris sedan is $15.5K though the manual is $16.5k. A base Corolla hatch with the Manual is $19.9k. I wonder what the pricing on the Yaris hatch will be. 

The only thing that keeps me from liking the Camry more is the existence of the Accord with a manual. I know why Toyota doesn't do it, but I wish they would. I think it looks nifty. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/29/19 2:07 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

You should know by now I'm never serial. Except my hatred for Toyotas. The last one we had ruined my favorite pair of sneaker when it caught itself on fire. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/29/19 2:13 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Sorry, here's some cereal as an apology:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/19 2:16 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Just announced: for 2020, Toyota is canning the super-dated Yaris hatch as it currently exists, and replacing it with a Toyota-fied Mazda2 hatchback:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26062013/toyota-yaris-hatchback-mazda-2-confirmed-2020/

It sure looks hungry for some minnows...

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/29/19 2:24 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
pointofdeparture said:

It sure looks hungry for some minnows...

I definitely prefer the Mazda2's extremely happy visage

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
1/29/19 2:25 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

I see so much ST in the front end when I look at these. Same with the 19 corolla hatch:

See the source image

Looks like they are trying to be a FoRS. Maybe it's just me, but the grill shape just strikes me as a ripoff. And the color used in all the press stuff.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/29/19 3:30 p.m.
dculberson said:

Plenty of good cars have had bad commercials. Plenty of bad cars have had good commercials. \

and then there's Chevy's "real people" lol.

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/29/19 4:03 p.m.
irish44j said:
dculberson said:

Plenty of good cars have had bad commercials. Plenty of bad cars have had good commercials. \

and then there's Chevy's "real people" lol.

That's just bad vehicles and bad commercials. I can say it, I work for them

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MSWaEIq77XZVgnaraIX91zfar7vMyBkHpXKaSYe9GAKuPlCg4LIOoM7tSUX2asL4