1 2
spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/19 7:56 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I loved my Mazda2. Toyota says the current Yaris sedan is $15.5K though the manual is $16.5k. A base Corolla hatch with the Manual is $19.9k. I wonder what the pricing on the Yaris hatch will be. 

The only thing that keeps me from liking the Camry more is the existence of the Accord with a manual. I know why Toyota doesn't do it, but I wish they would. I think it looks nifty. 

yep, the existence of the Mazda 6 and the Accord Sport 2.0T make the camry and all its beige irrelvant.. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/19 8:28 p.m.

I must be getting old as there isn't a current Toyota car that I dislike, the 86 is probably, in all honesty, the one that I like the least. 

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/29/19 8:38 p.m.

Well, if they are going to offer a mazda 2 variant. They should offer a proper turbo version. Lets call it the TRD eco-speed Yaris.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
1/29/19 9:58 p.m.

I’ve been hoping Mazda would bring the 2 back as a hatch. Thanks toyota!

Since I already have the original rebadged version, a Ford Festiva, it’s making a lot of sense to have this one next!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/29/19 10:55 p.m.
captdownshift said:

I must be getting old as there isn't a current Toyota car that I dislike, the 86 is probably, in all honesty, the one that I like the least. 

Wow ... found my twin !!! 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/30/19 6:01 a.m.
dculberson said:
bobzilla said:
dculberson said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to fidelity101 :

OK, let me rephrase that.... what does toyota build that anyone with a brain wants to drive?

I'm confused as to what's wrong with a Camry.

Is it still grounded to the ground?

Plenty of good cars have had bad commercials. Plenty of bad cars have had good commercials. Marketing has no bearing on how good (or bad) a car is.

Yep.  Not only that, from all I've heard and read the newest Camry isn't as boring as watching paint dry.  It's not a proper sports sedan, but it's supposedly a damn fine car, and light years more interesting than the previous ones.  I'd like to drive one just to see what I think.  And yeah, the 86 is by far the least interesting car in their fleet for me. 

So is this new Toyota 2...uh...Yaris, just a rebadged version of the same car that was sold here several years ago, or has it received any updates?  If it hasn't been updated, that'd be a shame.  The Mazda2 was awesome, but it's been a few years.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/30/19 6:54 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

It's based on the current-gen 2/Demio the rest of the world gets, just like the iA sedan.

https://www.mazda.com.au/cars/mazda2/

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/30/19 8:12 a.m.
fidelity101 said:

and to be honest most camry v6s these days are faster than a lot of 80s super cars - I was having this chat the other day with my neighbor friend who has worked with MB-USA for the past 25 years and to think not long ago 240hp out of a v8 was a big deal now we have 300hp v6 camrys with 8 speed gearboxes is crazy to think what we will have 20 years from now!

I used to fantasize about ~225-230 horsepower Fox Mustang notchback not that long ago. The Nissan Quest minivan has significantly more than that!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/30/19 8:22 a.m.

As a Camry lover my main beef with the new one is that even though they added gears, its shifts in such a way that it's not any faster than the old car with less gears. This is a common problem across a lot of new cars. So its not slower than the old one, so still pretty fast. But it should be faster. cheeky

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/30/19 8:49 a.m.

I tried gard to buy a mazda2. Thy were thin on the ground around here 5 years ago.

Hopefully these are cheap when they come out, and even cheaper used.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
1/30/19 9:33 a.m.

Will a mazda 2 be cheaper than a yaris though? 

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
1/30/19 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

That's because the shift program in the toyota transmissions is not a 1->2, 2->3, etc..., but it is a decision matrix that you can go from 1 to 2, or 3, maybe even 4. 2 goes to 4, or maybe 3 in certain circumstances, etc.  So while there are more gears, the gaps between shifts may be much larger than before, eating up any performance increase.  I found this out while looking for some tuning for my new Venza. 

See:  https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/heres-why-you-hate-the-3rd-gen-tacoma-transmission-and-how-we-are-fixing-it

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
1/30/19 2:42 p.m.

So if the 86 is on the decline, and Toyota is getting cars from Mazda, how about a Toyota badged Miata! [I know an MX5]

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
1/30/19 5:46 p.m.
dculberson said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to fidelity101 :

OK, let me rephrase that.... what does toyota build that anyone with a brain wants to drive?

I'm confused as to what's wrong with a Camry.

When I travel I always prefer to rent a Camry. They are always tight and reliable even after 20K-40K hard rental miles. I still think a (modded) Camry might be my weapon of choice for the One Lap of America.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xh9boGjyPKK4i4K3z2vU9j71QRWsfPcjUth0LijT3MOeLruJhMqLhSMFWZ1auKri