Blunder
Blunder Reader
1/17/24 8:56 p.m.

Ion redline

Cobalt ss or tc

Dootz
Dootz Reader
1/18/24 12:23 a.m.

Not trying to be mean, but you have a lot of dumb suggestions for someone looking a reliable, older car that won't nickel and dime you for less than $8k. Just get a 7th gen Accord. 

Dneikirk
Dneikirk New Reader
1/18/24 5:14 a.m.

I was in the same boat, and ended up with an E90 330i. Roof rack is amazing for bikes/boats. Can run on 87, but gas is cheap here and it feels better on premium. I'm actually about to sell it, happy to let you drive it first if you're in the southeast. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
1/18/24 10:03 a.m.

I'll also vote 8th Gen Civic Si. Mine has 226,000 miles and could definitely use a transmission rebuild, but if driven right it still does just fine. For the 87 octane? V6 S197 Mustang. I've not ever been brave enough to not run 93 in the Si. It doesn't need less power.

repoman
repoman New Reader
1/18/24 11:21 a.m.

I've done well over 100000 miles in M54 powered cars on 87 fuel. Never noticed a difference in power or fuel economy vs 93. I'm sure it makes a difference near redline or beating on a hot engine at the track but not for daily driving. 

I love E46s but outside of M cars and ZHPs, examples worth buying that won't need a lot of expensive maintenance are getting rare. Same and even more so for E39s which would be my choice. I was actually shopping for a clean 530i 5 speed sport, couldn't find a good one and ended up with my M5 in 2019. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/24 11:26 a.m.

I've owned five different e46 cars (two ZHP sedans, two wagons and one M3) and currently have an e87 128i m-sport. Both platforms are awesome. If I had a neighbor who raced specE46, I'd be looking for one of those for sure. The sedans are great, sporty, roomy, lots of upgrades, etc. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/24 11:54 a.m.

Which of those requirements are you willing to give up first?

You're pretty much asking for it all and under $8k. Reliable, fun, simple, decent mpg's, 87oct, 4 door and cheap???

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
1/18/24 1:13 p.m.

Wait what?  Not trying to threadjack but BMW's can run less than 91?  (93 in my case because 91 is rare in Mass)  I drive quite a bit and if I can save on gas costs... E91 328xi auto

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
1/18/24 1:26 p.m.

In reply to chknhwk :

Generally yes, they're fine with 87, at least the naturally aspirated ones. 91 gives you a little more room to advance the timing, especially in high ambient temps or under heavy load. I've seen MPG improvements with 91 in certain circumstances, but rarely enough to compensate for the difference in price. That said, I tend to run 91 regardless.

Dneikirk
Dneikirk New Reader
1/18/24 9:17 p.m.

In reply to chknhwk :

You can run 87, car will pull timing to avoid damage. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/24 9:46 p.m.
Dneikirk said:

In reply to chknhwk :

This will hurt fuel economy and (depending on your local fuel prices) may actually wind up costing more money in the long run.  So do some math. :)

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/24 10:27 p.m.

Regular RSX, Celica GTS, maybe find a ratty high mileage RSX type S. 

I will also say base Focus are cheap fun, but likely not competitive contenders. 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
1/19/24 12:00 a.m.

Lexus IS300 of the first generation came with a manual and a 2jz.   Newer IS250s also came with a manual but I don't remember hearing that it was a nice shifting tranny IIRC.   

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
1/19/24 12:13 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Dneikirk said:

In reply to chknhwk :

This will hurt fuel economy and (depending on your local fuel prices) may actually wind up costing more money in the long run.  So do some math. :)

True in theory, but not in my experience for multiple m52, m54, n52 vehicles. Tracked mileage over time. No discernible difference in daily driving. 
Would t do it on our n55.

Dneikirk
Dneikirk New Reader
1/19/24 5:54 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

100% true! My butt dyno can also tell a difference in power. 

twowheeled
twowheeled Reader
1/20/24 12:39 a.m.

Another 8 Gen civic recommendation, it's such an easy button. Parts are so cheap and well documented. Don't tell anyone but I put 87 in mine in the winter.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/20/24 9:25 a.m.

On the practical side, how about finding a Kia Forte, Hyundai Elantra, or Veloster if three side doors will do instead of four, with a manual transmission? You may get a newer or less ragged out one for your money compared to a Civic or Accord.

Or one of the more bizarre Toyota 2ZZ-GE applications might fit here - Vibe GT / Matrix XRS or Corolla XRS. Although I think they need premium fuel, they don't need a lot of it, and there's something amusing about a car that looks like a total snoozefest with an 8,000 RPM redline.

Red91sc
Red91sc New Reader
1/21/24 1:36 p.m.

You have too many non-negotiables and not enough money... Save some more money haha

Snrub
Snrub Dork
1/21/24 3:06 p.m.

You might need a $10k budget to get a Fiesta ST, but I really enjoy mine. It has a great sensation of speed, it's very nimble and practical. It only gives up ~7hp on 87 octane, so I run on it all the time. Mine weighs 2600lbs. You can easily drop 10lbs/corner with wheels. It's been reliable and parts/consumables are inexpensive.

I think it scores highly on all your requirements. I think the value for what you can get is high.

GTwannaB said:

Regular RSX, Celica GTS, maybe find a ratty high mileage RSX type S. 

I will also say base Focus are cheap fun, but likely not competitive contenders. 

Funny.  I had a 2012 5sp, gas & oil and one control arm at 88k right before I sold it. 

All the  mods were inexpensive; rear sway bar from Steeda, lowering springs with factory Ford handling pack struts/shocks, and an intake (injen?  Got it used, I think that was the mfg).  Intake woke it up pretty well at the top of the rpm range.  With generic 235/xx 17s (whatever gave factory diameter), that was a really entertaining car to drive, and I regret selling it.

I auto-x'd it, and while it was never going to handle like an ST (or be as fast), it was plenty fun.

Do NOT get an auto, transmissions are a crap shoot on those.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
1/22/24 9:41 a.m.

Yeah I really liked non ST Focus I drove too. Had the Titanium package with the 17x8 5 spokes and it handled well and drove well. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/24 10:37 a.m.
Nathan JansenvanDoorn said:
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Dneikirk said:

In reply to chknhwk :

True in theory, but not in my experience for multiple m52, m54, n52 vehicles. Tracked mileage over time. No discernible difference in daily driving.

rather than viewing it as "87 hurts fuel economy and power", i look at 87 as baseline and looked for gains with 93.

in my AWD E60 with N52 and automatic, i ran a few tanks of 93 and did the math. I did not gain mpg in local driving, and only gained 10% mpg on highway (from 22 up to 24 iirc).  Not enough to warrant the 25-35% price delta.  i ran 87 in that car from my purchase at 136k until it was totaled at 225k.

in my RWD E92 with N52 and 6MT, i ran a few tanks of 93 and did the math. Again, I did not gain mpg in local driving. On pure highway driving I gained 18% mpg (from 28 up to 33).  Not enough to warrant the 25-35% price delta.  i've run 87 in that car from my purchase at 71k to the current 113k.

dpspeed
dpspeed New Reader
1/22/24 9:45 p.m.

So many great models - and some weird ones lol - to research. I'm still leaning BMW-something.

Realizing a 128i + 6spd is gonna be hard to find cheap enough...

Once I get ready, my neighbor can keep on the lookout for an E46, but I might also be willing to look at a 328i E90 6spd. Although, my mother in law has a 2007 BMW X3 6 spd and it's pretty dang fun to drive for a SUV...but MAN...that thing lives at the shop with 140k miles. I also think she takes it there for every little noise...

Well, if nothing else, it's fun to dream and research different models to find the right one!

Thanks for the input!

Dneikirk
Dneikirk New Reader
1/22/24 9:51 p.m.

In reply to dpspeed :

Where are you located?

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
1/22/24 11:50 p.m.

In reply to dpspeed :

Not sure where you're at but:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2104839476529338/