TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
5/5/11 9:06 p.m.

They really look like fun, especially with a V8 conversion, but what is the quality like? I've always dreamed of a 62-64 Ferrari 250 GTO as the absolute ultimate Ferrari, but without an extra ten million cash in my pocket, a 240Z conversion almost seems like the next best thing.

What do you guys know about these kits?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/5/11 9:08 p.m.

They can look really good, end of my knowledge

ain't I helpful

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
5/5/11 9:11 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Good on ya mate, I agree, they do look good. The kits have been around for awhile, so I'm wondering what the state of the art is.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/5/11 9:21 p.m.

I have no personal knowledge of the subject, but I suppose all the standard early z answers would apply; i.e. swap in the L28, but put the L24 head on top, etc.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
5/5/11 9:24 p.m.

Remember this car from the old board?

http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=11869

280Z-based GTO with a BMW V12

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/5/11 9:28 p.m.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
5/5/11 9:33 p.m.

Have one!

It depends upon the kit. The weak link in the whole thing is the Z donor. It's quite a floppy chassis and it takes a lot of work to make it firm enough to really put down any power. Heaven forbid you cut the roof off to make a vert.

The standard engine is a boat anchor so the V8 conversion doesn't add that much weight. The rear end doesn't stand up to much power so many people upgrade the diff, but then you really have to reinforce the rear suspension area or things get all twisted out of shape.

The older V8s with distributors leave you with a less than ideal engine position, but I'm intrigued about putting a newer LSx engine in one.

Mine is mostly the Velorossa kit (I think that was the name). It has a one piece front clip that hinges forward and is heavy but good quality. They use flat panels that are glued onto the doors to transition the sizes and shapes. The rear end is skinned on as well.

The skinning process is tough to get just right.

Also all the molds no matter the manufacturer must have come from the same original car because they all seem to have the same defect on the driver's side fender and it takes a HELL of a lot of sanding and forming to make it not have a wave in it.

You don't notice the wave until you got to paint it.

You still have mundane Z parts in the interior so it's not awe inspiring from the inside.

Most people delete the rear wheel arch vent. It looks kinda cool in theory but rough in practice.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/5/11 9:44 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: The standard engine is a boat anchor so the V8 conversion doesn't add that much weight.

True, but you can send all your boat anchors my way. (I'm using an L24(e) in my datsun replica)

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
5/5/11 9:58 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
carguy123 wrote: The standard engine is a boat anchor so the V8 conversion doesn't add that much weight.
True, but you can send all your boat anchors my way. (I'm using an L24(e) in my datsun replica)

I have a spare 83 boat anchor and tranny with reasonably low miles for the age. Can't remember the miles but I can check tomorrow.

What should be interesting is that I have a spare nose for the 250 GTO. I am in the process of addressing the Z issues by building my own frame to go underneath it.

The frame is the powertrain along with the front and rear subframe and suspension from an S2000 joined by a space frame very much like a Locost. I'm hoping to be able to section the nose and make it smaller, but I haven't figured out the back end yet.

The frame will be caged with rear legs "fastback" style, although it looks better as a hatchback.

The steering wheel and dash will be used as well. Keeping the wheelbase and track so ABS will be included.

Things are only tacked together at this stage.

sanman
sanman Reader
5/5/11 11:53 p.m.
Luke wrote: Remember this car from the old board? http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=11869 280Z-based GTO with a BMW V12

I remember that build, but I forgot about the Uracco. I wonder what happened to that car.

Edit: if you couldn't guess, I want a 250 gt California replica

sanman
sanman Reader
5/5/11 11:57 p.m.
sanman wrote:
Luke wrote: Remember this car from the old board? http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=11869 280Z-based GTO with a BMW V12
I remember that build, but I forgot about the Uracco. I wonder what happened to that car. Edit: if you couldn't guess, I want a 250 gt California replica...like the replica in Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle New Reader
5/6/11 5:34 a.m.

My parents neighbor has been working on one for nearly 20 years. The car looks great and was 90% complete 15 years ago, but never got finished. It is still in his garage just needing some finishing touches. Apparently he still starts is regularly and takes it around the block.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/6/11 7:50 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
You can send some boat anchors over here too
RandyS
RandyS Reader
5/6/11 9:00 a.m.

I like them but don’t underestimate the amount of bodywork that goes into it. I have been working on a Miata Italia kit for several years now and they are about as easy as it gets.

I sometimes cruise ebay for an already built GTO kit. There have been a few listed in the $3-4 range over the years and I think that would be the way to go. It would be a lot easier to fix/restore an already installed kit than start from scratch.

Note: The kits are not identical to the original. The Z wheelbase is several inches short in the front. A couple of builders have stretched the Z about 8" in the front and that makes it a very good facsimile

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
5/6/11 9:20 a.m.
RandyS wrote: I sometimes cruise ebay for an already built GTO kit. There have been a few listed in the $3-4 range over the years and I think that would be the way to go. It would be a lot easier to fix/restore an already installed kit than start from scratch.

Not necessarily. If the kits have issues with the panel bonding you're up a creek.

Here's an original. Note the difference on the nose. I like the kit better in the nose area. Actually I like the kit a little better than the original, except for the suspension, chassis, etc.

And then there's this version. NO! That is not what I was talking about when I said hatchback.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
5/6/11 11:03 a.m.

I looked at one that some spectator drove to a vintage race. The outside looked good - staright panels, even seams and good paint. Then I looked inside. They had put the pracing horse on everything inside. Dual chrome roll hoops (in a hard top) with horses. Classy on the outside, tackey as hell on the inside.

sanman
sanman Reader
5/6/11 5:11 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Not necessarily. If the kits have issues with the panel bonding you're up a creek. Here's an original. Note the difference on the nose. I like the kit better in the nose area. Actually I like the kit a little better than the original, except for the suspension, chassis, etc

Weren't the noses and the details on all the GTOs a little different from each other as they were race cars? This is what I have heard.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
5/6/11 5:21 p.m.

They were all hand built so they all varied a little, but they were very similar.

On one show about them it said that the driver's door was about 3/16 smaller than the passenger door.

There were also a couple which had front end collissions and the front was remade without the little u shaped scoops.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RF2j7p1xAQ3dj4gkrXQsbb9jbwEQN2jOHGc0A4YcrT5tyFAqnrdQ6fOENjffKaLa