1 2
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/13 7:21 p.m.

I believe in all states they would give you a ticket related to being over GCWR which on a Miata is 0. I'm not saying its unsafe and in fact personally think its fine but its legally the same thing as towing a 30' travel trainer with a 4 cyl S10.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/13 7:23 p.m.
Baylis wrote: What Audis are those?

Picture it: Germany, 1983. The Audi Quattro has been doing well in stage rally but the competition was building cars for this new Group B category and they felt the need to catch up. So they took a Quattro, shortened the wheelbase to 86 inches (ostensibly so tight corners need not be taken as a three point turn), used the windshield, A-pillars, and doors from a 2-door 80 (more upright means less reflections on the glass), installed a new 6-speed transmission, and created an all-aluminum version of the five cylinder, with EFI, four valves per cylinder, and a K27 turbo, with every vertical face of the nose turned into a grille. Oh, and 15x9 Ronals with 235/45-15 tires and gigantic box flares.

Thus, the Sport Quattro. They made barely more than was needed for homologation. Most that you see nowadays are replicas made from cut-up Quattros.

They handled worse and broke more often. Stig Blomqvist refused to drive one until he had his driver's championship in the bag.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/20/13 7:54 p.m.
nocones wrote: I believe in all states they would give you a ticket related to being over GCWR which on a Miata is 0. I'm not saying its unsafe and in fact personally think its fine but its legally the same thing as towing a 30' travel trainer with a 4 cyl S10.

You mean the GVWR? In that case, a trailer loaded correctly shouldn't add more than 50 pounds to it--the tongue weight.

In any case, I just searched my manual and couldn't find GCWR anywhere. In any case, it would be more than 0 as it would be the weight of the car plus passengers plus cargo, no?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eeZnkiVOLHhsmn6YNAdSuFhetvVveLgs3R01KWiEFy5bnRQ5xnxH7MnX4FSjmiWJ