dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/22/16 12:40 p.m.

Truck involved: 1970 Ford F-250 big block v8 (360 or 390, not clear from markings)

Well my ignoring the failing fuel pump on my 1970 Ford F-250 finally came back to bite me in the butt when I had to get it towed home after it died and wouldn't re-start on a 45mph road. I finally got a chance to swap the pump out and found that the replacement pump was wrong. Apparently my truck had an "upgraded" pump put in when it was changed to a 4-barrel carb from the stock 2-barrel, and the output of the upgraded pump is 1/4" NPT whereas the stock pump has an output of 1/8" NPT fitting. The stock fuel pump has a spin on canister/cartridge style fuel filter (pretty cool for a 1970). I can find all manner of stock looking pumps with 1/8" NPT fittings and upgraded pumps with 1/4" NPT that do not have the integrated fuel filter. I'd rather not go with an inline fuel filter, I like the stock setup.

I believe the stock pump is 40gph and the failed pump that is in the truck is 80gph. I would like to get a stock looking and fitting 80gph pump with a 1/4" NPT output. Failing that a stock looking and fitting pump with a 1/4" NPT output of any rating at or above 40gph would probably work. What is in there has a date code of 1985 and two sets of numbers that turn up nothing online: FP1609-A-B-C, and FP1622-A-B. There's a logo that's an uppercase A inside a circle. All those markings are cast inside the filter housing.

What the stock pump looks like:

What the upgraded pumps I'm finding look like:

Any tips on finding the stock style pump with a 1/4" output?

If I can't find it, I'll use the 40gph unit with an adapter to the fuel line in the truck, or replace the line with hose. It's not the end of the world but it would be nice to use the existing hard lines.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/22/16 12:49 p.m.

I'm guessing there may not be any new equivalents and you may have to go for new old stock to get the pump you want. Have you tried any of the classic Ford truck parts houses like Dennis Carpenter, LMC, Macs, Blueoval, etc.?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
11/22/16 1:03 p.m.

Any chance of getting your stock one rebuilt somewhere?

Looks like RockAuto had them with both NPT and 1/4" inlets.

ROCK AUTO FOOL POMPS CHANG LEES!

As an aside, 40 GPH should be plenty for any sort of stock FE engine.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/22/16 1:58 p.m.

There you go - I didn't think to look at Rock Auto, assuming their illustrations are correct it appears they have what you need.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/22/16 2:00 p.m.

I'm pretty sure that I've gotten those from NAPA as well.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/22/16 2:13 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Dang. It does say 1/4" NPSF which should mate to the 1/4" NPT fitting that was in the truck. However, in the photo it looks identical to the other parts on Rock which list "stock" or (on other sites) 1/8" NPT output. My hesitation is I ordered one from Summit Racing that listed the output as 1/2-20 UNF which should be easily adaptable to what I need, but it was 1/8" NPT when it got here.

You're almost certainly right that 40gph is sufficient. The engine isn't exactly stock since it's been changed from 2bbl to 4bbl but that's not enough to exceed 40gph and certainly not in my truck's usage.

I'm not sure what to do - do I risk another incorrect pump or just work with what I have. Old cars are fun to source parts on, especially old modified cars.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP New Reader
11/22/16 2:40 p.m.

You should be able to use the pump with the 1/8 NPT holes. Just go thru the Summit book to find the fittings you need. Might even find something at home depot.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/23/16 5:23 a.m.

No way to tell externally if you have a 352, 360 or 390 BTW. The casting marks aren't different. My 352 did have a metal tag bolted to the left front of the engine (timing cover?) that divulged its origin. We always joke in the FE world that all FE's become 390s on sale day. Usually measuring the stroke of the piston will tell you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HLqX9EzNAHlVaAa4rpx3b6iGFu8m9ndGqkNr01OHnrTEkMLkL5eqCRBYmqXK0jqD