1 2
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/2/14 3:15 p.m.

">

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
10/2/14 3:23 p.m.

Color me skeptical that any major car rental company would stock any manual transmission car, let alone one that will inherently attract convicted clutch abusers...But I would be pretty excited if they actually are!

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
10/2/14 3:23 p.m.

With a manual trans????

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
10/2/14 3:31 p.m.

Who knew? Looking at their web site, the Ford CMax hybrid and Dodge Ram 1500 are also available to rent at the Atlanta airport location.

captdownshift
10/2/14 3:35 p.m.

yes with the manual (only available with a 6-spd)

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/14 4:33 p.m.

Pics or Ban?

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
10/2/14 4:35 p.m.

Yeah, this seems very odd. What do they expect people to do with that? I know what I would do and it would involve some very 80's themed rental car tricks.

Wanderer
Wanderer New Reader
10/2/14 4:41 p.m.

Enterprise used to rent 3 series in MT as well as Mini's. In LA at least. I believe it.

I still want to see it though

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/14 4:52 p.m.

They have Corvettes too.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
10/2/14 5:10 p.m.

Man, I'm gonna be in Virginia for a friends wedding in a couple weeks and I hope they have this or something other than a beige camry as an option

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
10/2/14 5:27 p.m.

I've never wanted to rent a car quite so much.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/14 5:45 p.m.

http://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/html/en/cars/guaranteed.html

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/2/14 6:15 p.m.

What is a fist?

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
10/2/14 6:32 p.m.

Fiesta ST

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/2/14 10:25 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: What is a fist?

Thank you. I had no Fing idea what this was about. Still not sure what the big deal is? Rental company has manual gearbox option...is that a "Thing"?

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
10/2/14 10:41 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: What is a fist?
Thank you. I had no Fing idea what this was about. Still not sure what the big deal is? Rental company has manual gearbox option...is that a "Thing"?

Most modern rental cars are autotragic and optioned precisely to suck the enjoyment out of driving. You know, what the normals want. I'd be stoked to have a manual hot hatch for a rental!

captdownshift
10/3/14 8:16 a.m.

ok one drive's link to embed the photo has completely jacked my own thread

golfduke
golfduke Reader
10/3/14 8:33 a.m.

Alamo/National/Enterprise (same company) has 2 C7 vettes- one vert one hardtop, available to rent out of Charlotte, NC too. $500 for 3 days, you must put the car on your own personal insurance policy, with faxed binder, to rent. Autos though :(

I settled for the V6 challenger for $130 though :( At least it looked fast...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/3/14 8:52 a.m.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/3/14 9:02 a.m.

FISTING is not a family friendly topic. Please keep it to just 2-3 fingers please.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/3/14 9:10 a.m.

the FiST, Ford's answer to the "shocker" sticker trend.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
10/3/14 9:13 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Please keep it to just 2-3 fingers please.

Even that is "stretching" it (budum tsh).

tb
tb HalfDork
10/3/14 9:23 a.m.

I travel frequently and almost always wind up getting screwed over at the rental counter. The fine print typically assure you that 'reserved' means nothing and you just have to deal with whatever they have on the lot.

That being said, I am now scouring the major brand websites for hidden gems!

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/3/14 9:26 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Still not sure what the big deal is? Rental company has manual gearbox option...is that a "Thing"?

In the US - yes - a big deal. In other parts of the world, apparently not. According to my coworker who recently vacationed in France, automatic rentals cost more than manuals. I would not be surprised if manuals were more available in markets with a large number of European renters.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
10/3/14 9:15 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Still not sure what the big deal is? Rental company has manual gearbox option...is that a "Thing"?
In the US - yes - a big deal. In other parts of the world, apparently not.

This.

When I've been anywhere outside of North America, manuals are the standard rentals, which is sweet. Rented a manual Saab turbo in Sweden, a manual Yaris hatch in New Zealand, and a manual Suzuki Jimmy 4x4 in Costa Rica. I'm pretty sure in all cases these were the cheapest or nearly the cheapest cars available.

Rowing your own improves the trip so much. Got stuck with a autotragic Suzuki Aerio in Puerto Rico and it ruined climbing/descending the mountains in El Yunque. Banked switchbacks and Initial-D gutters everywhere and the car was gear-hunting and lurching around the whole time. I'd happily pay more for a manual, but they cost less and are readily available everywhere but here, in my experience.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cuzQOiDZcsmNyLbA4DPSm7434mncF4FsXzaSjCWaQq42NpNI3uUJwcnD6wbhMSM1