1 2
Defined motorsports
Defined motorsports SuperDork
7/11/22 8:58 a.m.

Ok, I'm still riding the nascar high from yesterday. Been doing some reading on the grassroots start of nascar. 

If someone wanted to do a modern day moonshine build, where's would I start? 
two thoughts: 

1)modern day car, modern day parts, moonshine style. Stock outside. Upgraded suspension and engine inside. Secret compart for actual hooch. 

2) very old prohibition era body on a modern day frame, suspension, and engine. And secret compartment for haulin' hooch. 

idea was to create a business where I deliver  bottled booze to folks, like Uber eats. And do so with style. I'd dress up for the part and everything. Do parties and catering. The whole theme would be applied to several outlets for revenue. None of this has been thoroughly thought out. Just me trying to find an excuse to make a vehicle like this. Ya know, typical GRM stuff. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/11/22 9:09 a.m.

I would go with option 2, just seems more appropriate. Modern vehicles are ugly, but modern go bits are awesome. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 9:09 a.m.

I think about this more than I should. #2 wouldn't work because one requirement for a moonshine runner is the ability to disappear into traffic. If the original moonshine runners were driving something that stood out in any way, the police would visit them at home within the next few days (these days they'd just be waiting for you at home thanks to modern computers and communications). I've often thought that a rally-oriented AWD boost buggy of some sort would be a good base to start with - Impreza/WRX, Focus or Evo. Keep it as stock-looking and sounding as possible, add good rally suspension and as much extra power as you can afford. Secret compartments are nice but not strictly a requirement - often the cars were very heavily loaded with hooch, barely kept out of plain sight by a trunk lid or tarp. These days we also have window tint.

Of course this is assuming realism. If it's just for fun, go for the '30s look cheeky

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/11/22 9:24 a.m.

I may have known a guy that used a Dakota rt with load bags and a tonneau cover over the bed. Out of sight, out of mind. And the truck was debadged, and supercharged. Looked like hundreds of other dakotas in the area, hauled a huge amount in the bed.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
7/11/22 9:46 a.m.

Hearse:

Air springs out back to level it out when loaded. Casket full of hooch.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 9:52 a.m.

If your goal is to smuggle, posting here is a bad start.

However I love the alcohol delivery from a moonshiner business idea!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/11/22 10:03 a.m.

I'd take a tip out of the drug mule textbook. Big diesel truck with a ton of power. Even with a bunch of frosting on it, it's hard to discern one of those from a standard brodozer, and theyre built to do exactly what shiners did back in the day, disappear at all costs. 

Defined motorsports
7/11/22 10:13 a.m.
slefain said:

Hearse:

Air springs out back to level it out when loaded. Casket full of hooch.

Oh.... my... god... genius. They'll even get out your way thinking you're on the way to the grave. Get a few other cars to follow and make it seem legit. You'll pull off a modern day Smokey and the bandit. 

Defined motorsports
7/11/22 10:14 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

If your goal is to smuggle, posting here is a bad start.

However I love the alcohol delivery from a moonshiner business idea!

Yeah nothing illegal. That was just fun. The business idea sounds really tempting. Especially since the car would be a business write off entirely. 

Defined motorsports
7/11/22 10:17 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I'd take a tip out of the drug mule textbook. Big diesel truck with a ton of power. Even with a bunch of frosting on it, it's hard to discern one of those from a standard brodozer, and theyre built to do exactly what shiners did back in the day, disappear at all costs. 

One idea was to get the "Beige Camry" route. Supercharger. Beefed up suspension. Secret compartment where your customers come out to take the hooch delivery out of an old timey looking compartment, just adding to the experience. 

maybe get some burlap bags to hide the merchandise. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/11/22 10:21 a.m.

Chevy SS is the modern disappear into traffic hot rod:

2016 Chevy SS Review - The Middle Ground Between Old and New

Mostly nondescript but has it where it counts.

BUT! If you're doing this for a fun business idea, obviously mimicking old moonshine runners would do best. Maybe even old pickups with cliche patina'd graphics painted on.

1941 Ford

bOttOmfeeder
bOttOmfeeder New Reader
7/11/22 12:44 p.m.

A brown 1971 Ford Custom 500 four-door with a bench seat, a four-speed, and a big V-8 under the hood.

Ford 500 White Lightening

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/22 1:17 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

How would you jump the broken bridge with that thing?

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 1:30 p.m.

Chevy HHR SS panel with hand painted graphics for a flower delivery service. 

I'm not moving alcohol, and it'll be a different sort of flower. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
7/11/22 2:57 p.m.

Turbo PT cruiser

Dodge magnum 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
7/11/22 3:19 p.m.

In California you could run a 70s wagon and no one would look twice ,  there are just a lot of 1970s-80s cars used as a daily driver , 

Most other places you would really stick out with the same 70s wagon , 

if you really wanted to be invisible an 20 year old  Cop car would probably not get many looks , painted beige like an undercover car.....

But since you want to make a scene , I think a big 1950s Buick would make a statement . 

Sounds like fun !

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/11/22 3:21 p.m.

Older model Nissan Altima.....they are everywhere, they all seem a little sus so no one will every bother with it. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/11/22 4:03 p.m.

I'd go with a prohibition era car and modern it up. 

But if I'm playing from a different angle, as if prohibition happened today, I'd go with the Rivian R1T. Super fast, quiet, insane cargo capacities, and between the Frunk, the gear tunnel (Maybe with the tunnel shuttle or the camp kitchen options), and the bed-trunk, it has more cargo capacity than any vehicle I've owned other than the minivan... Before we even consider the bed itself! And the bed-trunk has a drain, so it can be used as a cooler. And, you can fill it up in the secrecy of your garage, so as long as you keep your distance under 200-300 miles, you don't even have to stop for gas. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/11/22 4:36 p.m.
dculberson said:

Chevy SS is the modern disappear into traffic hot rod:

2016 Chevy SS Review - The Middle Ground Between Old and New

Mostly nondescript but has it where it counts.

BUT! If you're doing this for a fun business idea, obviously mimicking old moonshine runners would do best. Maybe even old pickups with cliche patina'd graphics painted on.

1941 Ford

The real answer is the SS's cousin,  the Caprice PPV. Cheap for what it is, all the heavy duty cop stuff already in it. Remove any push bars, spot lights, replace the Caprice badge with one that says Malibu. No one will ever remember seeing you.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 6:57 p.m.

I'd go with an ex-Cop Dodge Charger in these parts.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 7:04 p.m.

P71 chassis, Coyote engine and 6 speed. 

Sheet metal of your choice. 

Fast and durable. 

Defined motorsports
7/11/22 10:16 p.m.
Toyman! said:

P71 chassis, Coyote engine and 6 speed. 

Sheet metal of your choice. 

Fast and durable. 

Bulletproof glass. Spot light. Strobe effect for the shock factor if someone gets too close at night. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/11/22 10:24 p.m.

If you're  trying to make a "show" of it for a business, you need a 30s/40s rig. A panel van sounds perfect for the catering angle. 

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
7/11/22 10:39 p.m.

Mr. Culberson's idea of a pre-war Ford has excellent authority behind it. When Car and Driver asked, well, knowledgeable individuals in a rural Southern community to evaluate the new Dodge Six-Pack in 1969, Lamar Gene's brother Bubba said, "Ain't never been but one good 'jump car' ever made and that was a '40 Ford. (...) I once got 35 cases of half-gallon jars in a '40 Ford."

In that spirit, I'd go with a Crown Vic, or perhaps a Grand Marquis with the PI parts underneath. Bubba notes that "Now that them agents are all using radios[, y]ou just need an old car with a good engine in it."

jerrysarcastic (dork in training)
jerrysarcastic (dork in training) Reader
7/12/22 2:39 a.m.

Lots of P71 love here, and that'd be my first choice if I'm honest.

But if my was goal is to disappear into traffic but hustle like a scalded ape when the need arises, a well-equipped SUV might be a better choice.  High on my list would be an Explorer in anonymous-yet-sinister Police Interceptor trim.

I'm not sure anyone would look twice (except maybe at their own speedometer) if you were rolling around in one of these, and they're comfortable, have decent aftermarket support, and plenty of room for hooch. 

If money were no object I might try get one In Steeda trim with a warranty and hit the interstates.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6ZMbHMekDXeUK7i4FJEFe00xJBe1sbzRAizW7tmjaNYBo2gGGOixnYi92ZX9wgPS