1 2
jrg77
jrg77 Reader
12/2/10 8:21 p.m.

In reply to BowtieBandit: The new one allegedly revs to 7k. Haven't tried it yet.

Did try a brand new Si. Have tried used ones on funky roads that didn't convey the character of the car. There's a reason these cars have a following. None of the other cars come close. They may be able to do well with aftermarket parts, but STOCK, they're not even trying.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 New Reader
12/4/10 2:51 p.m.

How about two miatas?

jrg77
jrg77 Reader
12/15/10 11:09 a.m.

I have driven most of the interesting "econocars". I will either get a Civic Si or save some cash and get a WRX.

kazoospec
kazoospec New Reader
12/15/10 12:33 p.m.

At 100 miles per day, I'm thinking you're going to appreciate the mileage difference if you go w/the Civic Si. I've got a friend who has one and averages mid 30's on mixed (but mostly highway) driving. Your going to pay more up front and a lot more weekly at the pump for the WRX. Of course, the equation changes if you need AWD for winter driving.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
12/15/10 1:13 p.m.

You have to budget $10k per year for transmissions for an A8 though.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky New Reader
12/15/10 9:25 p.m.

In reply to BowtieBandit:

Might be because the 2.5 is larger than the magical 2 litre mark for a high revving 4 holer. Secondary vibrations and all.

jrg77
jrg77 Reader
12/21/10 12:59 a.m.

I feel like I've done the Civic Si with my Corolla Xrs. Prior to the Corolla the Civic probably would have felt special. Now it feels so-so. I don't need a WRX to get all wheel drive. I passed on a base Impreza sedan at below invoice because it felt so soft that I would immediately be going to Koni and Eibach for support. Might not have been an issue if it had 200HP.

rotard
rotard New Reader
12/21/10 11:11 a.m.

What about the Sonata? I was pretty impressed with the ones I checked out.

Four adults can fit in an Rx8, as long as the people in the front aren't aholes with how far back the seat is. Mileage is only around 20mpg, though, if the plugs and coils aren't shot. Too bad so many of the ones running around aren't healthy. :(

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
12/21/10 11:57 a.m.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/2123092838.html

'09 Malibu LTZ looks nice and a good price.

CTS-V ? 6th gear would get you good gas mileage.

jrg77
jrg77 Reader
12/25/10 8:19 a.m.

In reply to dankspeed:

No cars with an hydraulic torque converter.

The CTS-V would be cool if it wasn't used up when it got to my price range. And you know the cats that got them didn't do it for light cruising.

corytate
corytate New Reader
12/25/10 4:28 p.m.

new: cr-z, forte ( I like the 2.0 better than 2.4, which is why I bought the 2.0), spec-v used: MAZDASPEED 6!!!(best car mazda ever made, period. or a used genesis coupe (3.8 is super quick and the 2.0 t is right there behind it and a bit cheaper, 3.8 track is especially glorious)

jrg77
jrg77 Reader
4/12/11 11:33 p.m.

Finally bit the bullet and got an '11 Si sedan. I got a heck of a deal, and I don't think there's any suspicion about it lasting. I will take the difference in price and put it towards making the thing more fun in an understated fashion (no fart cans or hellaflush).

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/13/11 9:19 a.m.

John, report back on the Si, will be interested to see how it is on fuel

91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
4/14/11 12:23 p.m.

drove a 2008 sentra SE-R Spec-V, had a ton of fun driving the car, the car had summer tires on it which made the difference in handling... I think the most fun for the monies brand new...

now you can find a Cobalt SS turbo cheap... handles well, 260hp, magnesium wheels...

jrg77
jrg77 Reader
4/15/11 11:23 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Will do. How have you been? Did you come up with a plan for the starter or send the thing to the scrap heap?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
4/15/11 11:58 a.m.
jrg77 wrote: In reply to pete240z: Yeah, my Xrs has busted console covers because of miscommunication with my knee. Mazda3 looks nice but cramped in back.

Mazda 3 is fairly cramped in the back... fortunately for me, that's not my problem because it's my car!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FOHmjoAzUHjSgweLxNvOm2biIDlHbBKAIFjuU9ydKnO8OJpixyX6oYNmHU4Hl8Wr