1 2 3
Moparman
Moparman Reader
12/11/10 8:22 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

I am incompetent at all things electronic. I fear microprocessors and electric fuel pumps.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
12/11/10 10:41 p.m.

People were scared of light bulbs at first but they saw the light.

skeze
skeze Reader
12/11/10 10:52 p.m.

So does the megasquirt replace the stock ECU? or what does it replace? if it replaces the ECU and wiring harness I'l get one in the next couple of weeks as i can sell the ecu and wiring harness then get a megasquirt and still come out ahead granted that is the components it replaces

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/12/10 8:27 a.m.

It doesn't - YOU do.

I don't really mean that to be as wise-assed as that sounds. It isn't quite as plug 'n play as you are making it sound. There are Plug N' Play kits for certain cars but in your first post you eliminated one of those so you are doing all the work.

There is all of the wiring, in some cases mounting/locating sensors and then tuning for you to do even if you buy the fully assembled kit. You will need to know if special consideration for variable valve timing or special ignition systems need to be accounted for. If you are not the least bit intimidated by these things then, yes, it replaces the entire stock ECU and can control fuel and spark using a wide variety of existing components.

Do a lot of research first.

skeze
skeze Reader
12/12/10 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Thanks, Not a bad comment.

Moparman
Moparman Reader
12/12/10 12:21 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6:

My problem is that may car has a non-feedback carb. This means that I don't even use an O2 sensor. My ecu controls only spark and I have a mechanical fuel pump and no electric of any kind. The only port injection available for my car were for turbo engines. It would have to modified with leaner injectors than stock and I would have to merge the wiring, something which I have no clue how to do. It all looks like multicolored spaghetti to me. Plug and play or no way.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
12/12/10 12:33 p.m.
Moparman wrote: In reply to Paul_VR6: My problem is that may car has a non-feedback carb. This means that I don't even use an O2 sensor. My ecu controls only spark and I have a mechanical fuel pump and no electric of any kind. The only port injection available for my car were for turbo engines. It would have to modified with leaner injectors than stock and I would have to merge the wiring, something which I have no clue how to do. It all looks like multicolored spaghetti to me. Plug and play or no way.

I've seen where some folks have used the turbo manifolds in a NA conversion on a 2.2. The later 2.2 and 2.5's had a TBI setup that might not be a bad swap. I think the last year of the L body might have used it as well. Could make for a good donor car.

A buddy was going to do the TBI swap on his Turismo until the rest of the car gave up just shy of 300K.

Using a Megasquirt to control the injectors and timing would only need minimal tying into the car's stock harness. IIRC the mid to late '80's Mopars had one set of sensors for the gauges and a separate set for the ECU.

Since you don't have an ECU now, you would just need a set to go with the Megasquirt and its harness.

Moparman
Moparman Reader
12/12/10 1:45 p.m.

I do have an ecu to control spark, my downdraft carb makes more power than the OEM TBI from 2.2's. SOHC Neon manifolds can be made to fit I am told as well as he turbo manifolds. Mexican market 2.2s used the turbo-style FI on non-turbo cars. I just installed a new OEM fuel tank. I should have not been so hasty. I could have installed an FI tank from a Shelby Charger and had the in-tank fuel pump setup.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
12/12/10 1:53 p.m.

you dont need an in tank pump, though it would be easier. just put an external high pressure pump fed from the carb tank's outlet.

Moparman
Moparman Reader
12/12/10 2:05 p.m.

In reply to WilberM3:

True, but my main problem is getting the turbo FI setup to run an NA engine. My carb outperforms the TBI setup.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/12/10 6:31 p.m.

Has anyone here megasquirted a LS1?

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
12/12/10 10:14 p.m.
It doesn't - YOU do.

I like that one.

I don't see any problems running a 'turbo' intake an injectors. No worries going a bit big on the injector size with fully programmable engine management, you just adjust things for the larger injectors. High pressure fuel pump external mount is easy enough, as long as your tank has a decent sump in it. Though a stock internal high pressure pump would have made things easy.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
12/13/10 3:54 p.m.
Spitsix wrote: Has anyone here megasquirted a LS1?

Not personally, but a lot of our customers have. There's now quite a few different ways to make it work, from using an MSD box to run the timing and having an older MS1 control the fuel, up to having a MS3 run sequential fuel and spark control.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/10 6:56 p.m.
Moparman wrote: In reply to WilberM3: True, but my main problem is getting the turbo FI setup to run an NA engine. My carb outperforms the TBI setup.

Its relatively simple, really. If you can wire a car stereo or build a PC, then you can stretch yourself a bit and make it happen.

Grab a Late Turbo 1 intake, injectors, regulator and fuel rail. or even a Flex-fuel intake, which can be used with ethanol and uses slightly larger injectors than the stock T1 (How? simple, the computer controls the injector pulse width, like a volume knob)

Grab the stock coolant sensor and harness side of the injector connector, plus some extra wire for splicing.

Remove carb intake and carb. Leave stock ignition.

Buy MS, relay board and pre-built cables from DIY autotune.

A wide-band oxygen sensor would be a great idea as well, makes tuning so much faster.

Install sensors on the motor.

Modify exhaust to fit oxygen sensor.

Install intake, injectors, throttle body, etc.

Rough out the wiring based on the wiring diagrams provided. Most sensors have two wires, some have three. Its all just electrical plumbing.

The injector harness has two signal wires for the injector banks (which are split to fire two injectors at a time), and two grounds. 8 wires total, typically combined to only 4 at the connector.

3 more wires for the throttle position

4 wires for the AIS stepper motor

2 wires for the intake air temperature

2 wires for the coolant temperature

1 wire for the tach signal from the coil (already exists)

1 12V positive wire from a switched ignition source.

The real trick is making sure the connections are well made and that you have good power and ground sources.

Once you have it all wired up and you have your laptop connected and are ready to start, then you get to play with the tuning software. Which is another post.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/13/10 7:02 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

Do you have a website or contact info I can get to my non-beliver friend? Thanks - Scott

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
12/13/10 8:25 p.m.

I've personally run those coils on other installs, and there's LS1/2 wheel modes for MS2/3 just never used them.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
12/13/10 8:59 p.m.
Spitsix wrote: In reply to MadScientistMatt: Do you have a website or contact info I can get to my non-beliver friend? Thanks - Scott

Since Matt hasn't replied yet, I'll give a plug for him. He's over at DIY Auto Tune

Where to find Matt

He's also a co-author of the book Performance Fuel Injection Systems. I got a copy, but haven't had time to read it yet.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
12/13/10 9:10 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: He's also a co-author of the book Performance Fuel Injection Systems. I got a copy, but haven't had time to read it yet.

I picked it off Amazon for $16, I think.

It's a decent book for the cabbage. I feel it could have went deeper into the how and why's of doing things, but I'll figger it out.

/me hides all the blown up E36 M3 out back..... "Nothing to see here, move along."

Brian

PS- For the record, if ANYONE gets the money for something other then MegaSquirt, do NOT buy an Accel Gen7 DFI system. Outdated clusterberkeley of a system, IMO. Why do I have to calc, uhhhh ummm pretty much guess, VE in this day in age?!?!?!

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
12/13/10 9:12 p.m.

:)

I'm really fighting the temptation to MS our early STI swapped Subie. I just KNOW there's power there waiting for me, and it would help me eliminate some of the wierd/hard-to-get Japanese only sensors.....

My only hesitation is very cold weather starting. It's been 3 or 4 years since I've worked on that: has it become easier to get it running at -20? This is for a 2.0T STI engine: any reasonable starting MSQ's?

Nathan

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
12/14/10 11:51 a.m.

I've cold started my VW down to about 15F but I can't say that I've ever tuned a car to do much lower. It might take some tuning but it's entirely possible.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/14/10 11:56 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: PS- For the record, if ANYONE gets the money for something other then MegaSquirt, do NOT buy an Accel Gen7 DFI system. Outdated clusterberkeley of a system, IMO. Why do I have to calc, uhhhh ummm pretty much guess, VE in this day in age?!?!?!

If I ever have the scratch to buy an "off the shelf" answer it's going to be a full-blown Motec with 128 channels of DAQ and integrated instrument cluster.

Otherwise I'm squirting things just so I can't complain about flexibility. When everything is open - the answer is always yes.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
12/14/10 12:27 p.m.

Thanks, Rob! I can also be reached at websales@diyautotune.com if you want to email me about anything work (MegaSquirt, etc) related.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/14/10 2:04 p.m.
Big McLargehuge wrote:
evildky wrote: what isn't megasquirt?
a telephone, a pie, a scanning electron microscope, a housepet, a sexual aid.... quite a long list actually

guess I've been using mine wrong

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
12/14/10 2:40 p.m.

My two "what standalone would you use?" Answers are:

1) Motec 2) Megasquirt

Everything else in between isn't worth it.

Brendan
Brendan New Reader
12/15/10 1:18 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Megasquirt uses uses a MAP.

Or Alpha-N, or MAF.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yb5W45aZM7k3QDjDIYKBMUOOoYc7XiTUtenci0vz55fhqMTAJWGJV21jVbN2Rjz3