Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/15 8:28 a.m.

It took until March but the potholes on the Palisades Parkway have finally claimed a wheel and snow tire on the Fiat. I figure I have three options.

1) Put on the summer tires early.

2) See if Tire Rack has one in Connecticut, go out there for it, mount a new snow tire.

3) Run my car into a bridge abutment and let the wife put the life insurance money toward a place where it doesn't snow.

I like choice one since its march but we just drove home last night in 4 inches of icy snow and there is more predicted for tomorrow and since the Wife is considered essential by the State of New York she can't take a snow day.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
3/4/15 8:54 a.m.

I hear it's going to snow until June anyway, so get another snow tire.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/15 8:57 a.m.

Are you sure that Tire Rack has a retail store in Connecticut? I thought it was just a warehouse. Even so, if they have one in stock there, they can probably have it to you by tomorrow if you order now. I'm always amazed at how fast they get tires to me, even if they come from Maryland.

Wally
3/4/15 9:12 a.m.

Their website says it can be here tomorrow. I was hoping I could pick it up since I am off today but I haven't gotten to calling them yet. While I was in the rest area three more flat tires came in. I figured there was no point in everyone dragging their husband out here so the park ranger and I were changing them.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/4/15 9:17 a.m.

Try for 2. I had to go with option 1 at the end of last march as TR didn't have the tire in my size at that point. Then I continued with option 1 this past winter with the summer on the back.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/4/15 11:35 a.m.

I would see if you can get one now if for no other reason than to keep the set, a set.
I am assuming that the remaining 3 tires are in good shape with good tread. My fear for waiting till next year is what if the tread design changes or the model changes making it impossible to get a proper match?
Also, if TR has one, now is likely the cheapest time to buy it. End of season clearance prices?

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/15 12:28 p.m.

Option #2, or see how quickly they can ship one to you. The other option is to go to a local tire shop, but they're not likely to have winter tires in stock this time of year.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/15 2:09 p.m.

option 2, a 500 will may a fine rallyx car come thaw

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/4/15 2:21 p.m.

Put the summer tires on. its going to be in the 40s next week.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
3/4/15 4:07 p.m.

Put the summer tires on the back?

I've been driving a protege with snows on the front only all winter and it's been fine. A little tail happy but that makes for a more interesting commute anyway.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/4/15 4:24 p.m.

Option 2. You're still going to get hammered with more snow this year, probably til May or so.
I have personal experience with 'Angry Wife Without Snow Tires' this winter. You don't want that .

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/4/15 6:24 p.m.
Wally wrote: It took until March but the potholes on the Palisades Parkway have finally claimed a wheel and snow tire on the Fiat. I figure I have three options. 1) Put on the summer tires early. 2) See if Tire Rack has one in Connecticut, go out there for it, mount a new snow tire. 3) Run my car into a bridge abutment and let the wife put the life insurance money toward a place where it doesn't snow. I like choice one since its march but we just drove home last night in 4 inches of icy snow and there is more predicted for tomorrow and since the Wife is considered essential by the State of New York she can't take a snow day.

just out of curiosity … what would happen to the state if the snow was enough that she really, truly couldn't get there ?

if she's that essential to the state, I'd think that they'd have a plan in place to ensure essential workers could get to work

Wally
3/4/15 7:09 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Nothing would happen to the state. Because she is a department head at a hospital it is vital that she is there, but because it's the payroll department she gets paid like a secretary. The biggest problem is that she doesn't get paid and risks discipline which she is trying to avoid since she needs time for doctor appointments. They will allow her to stay the night if the weather looks bad but she is stubborn and prefers to drive home unless the snow is waist deep.

In the meantime I have ordered a new tire and since I am off tomorrow I will take her to work if there is any significant snow tonight. The weather for cast seems to be calling for anywhere from a dusting to 8 inches.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ob5qq071vR4aJilKNMoaPQ8BlsuEgjKuDVbV1yWiPe2mdVWlOR1xa5ahiJ5KKyos