1 2
plance1
plance1 Dork
12/28/11 10:36 p.m.

tell ya what I did with my mom's 86 cougar, took it drag racing on Sunday, scrubbed the numbers off and had it back to her for 5pm mass, best I was able to do was 16 flat. not a bad car, nice 5 liter, could have been a lot of fun hot rodding it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/11 10:57 p.m.

Twin-Turbo 406...

benzbaron
benzbaron Dork
12/29/11 12:02 a.m.

I like it, I would just drive it. Just don't park it in the wrong hood or you will get jacked for it. Certain people love those cars.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/29/11 6:19 a.m.

Drive it. Nice cruiser.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/29/11 7:06 a.m.

SInce that was my first car, my gut reaction is to go cruising for girls and listen to AC/DC, Rush, Ramones, and Rage against the machine at deafening levels, and then head off to the skatepark with my BMX in tow...but since its not the mid nineties, Id go with the Challenge Coug-bra model laid out in previous posts...Lots of potential there

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
12/29/11 7:49 a.m.

460 + twin turbos + fake wire wheels = finally a good excuse to install a crushed velvet racing seat.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
12/29/11 7:52 a.m.

Oh poor you, all you got is a comfortable riding car sitting on a muscle-car platform with a blank slate of a monster V8 sitting under the hood powering the rear wheels. Oh boooo hooooo!

What to do with it?! Modify it of course!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
12/29/11 8:04 a.m.

It probably could get down to a better weight if you gutted the interior for a Challenge car.

But if it were mine and I had some time to wrench on it, I'd get some wider steel wheels for the back with the stock wire hubcaps, leave no other visible signs of mods, and put the meanest 351W or 460 I could throw together for cheap under the hood. Ugly can really ramp up the sucker punch factor.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/11 8:11 a.m.

The interiors are actually pretty light. The real weight savings can be had in the drivetrain. There's NVH weights on the DS yoke, trans crossmember, and rear axle pumpkin that can all go. Toss the power seats for manual ones. Replace the iron manifolds with headers. They are actually surprisingly light to start with and it's pretty easy to get into the 2K's.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
86gGuguuYM83bxRakhb3iWOkP6JRjKnZU5IzW0C8kInGrK176GPnaxXZaPD0tlv0