1 2
Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
5/26/22 1:20 p.m.

A friend has a 1967 I believe Datsun 1600 roadster with the factory engine beyond economical repair.  

The original thought was to Import an SR20 to swap in (as he found a write up on one)  but getting his hands on one is proving to be difficult.

I am trying to convince him to Honda K-series swap it using either a miata trans or ZF 310/320 from a Bimmer.   

The end goal is a reliable 200ish hp car.

What would GRM do?

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/22 1:28 p.m.

Miata chassis swap with an LS?

I'll show myself out now...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/26/22 5:32 p.m.

Is he really having a problem finding one or is it he can't find one at a cost he likes? 

Just wondering. There is a lot of work for the swap so it may be better to rebuild what you have and move on if he really wants something different. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/22 5:37 p.m.

K swap seems like a no brainer. Anything else I imagine would be too much sheetmetal work; VQ, LS, LFX, Jseries, etc.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/26/22 5:54 p.m.

Ecoboost 2.0 mated to miata 5 speed?

blend old and new school and build an L20 w/  ITBs? 

give it to me and I'll make it blow up ?

Where are you located? I find swap viability to vary based on region / country. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/26/22 5:54 p.m.

A Miata BP swap would be really easy, too- and it comes with a trans attached to it.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
5/26/22 6:50 p.m.

I might be a little bit biassed, but these are the things to take into consideration;

First, the fire wall of these cars is very thin, there is a know fix for the clutch pedal flexing the sheet metal that clutch master is bolted to.

Second, the brakes on this car were designed many years ago and will not work for the proposed horse power.  For the rear, the fix is to find a complete differential from a Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE and send it to the shop in Hemet CA to have it worked to fit the car. Once you find out how much it cost to replace the warn out parts on the stock rear end, doing the Mazda is not that bad.  The fact that it has a LSD, it makes even more since. 

Third, the stock front end will need your attention. How much, will be you to your time and effort.  The front brakes are really that small.

Forth, as long as you work with the knowledge that the motor comes out to do anything with the transmission you will be fine.

Fifth, they made 40,000 of these cars during it's total production of all years.  That said, you can still purchase almost anything you need. But the parts might say Datsun, you are going to think you are buying parts for a Porsche.  The upper and lower ball joints will take your breath away.  Then price the tie rods...  

Sixth, a 1967....   You are going to have the purest foaming .... 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/26/22 7:16 p.m.

I'd build a '67 2000 clone.  I'd be happy with the factory 150hp, 5 speed tranny.  

A 2000 engine might be $5000? But if you follow the JR guys tips above it will be a wash on cost.   

JBinMD
JBinMD New Reader
5/26/22 7:27 p.m.

Before discussing which engine it needs to be acknowledged that most swaps will require (or at least would greatly benefit from) that you also upgrade the rear axle/differential, the brakes, and the suspension.  I think nearly any modern 4 cylinder would be a vast improvement over the stock engine, and since I am beholdin to no particular make I think an MZR/k20 or k24/ecoboost/ecotec etc would all be good choices.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/26/22 7:28 p.m.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas New Reader
5/26/22 10:52 p.m.

Keep it stock.... that is a nice looking car to bust out the cash to keep it original.  I am surprised that some one on here did not say they have one sitting from my 2000 Challenge car.  Have you checked out this forum??

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1970-datsun-1600-roadster-i-said-yes-to-the-car/187828/page1/

Or this one 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1970-datsun-roadster-and-it-begins-getting-it-running-the-the-first-step-is-to/176586/page1/

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/22 6:41 a.m.

I would think that it is most economical to rebuild the 1600 or locate a donor.

Heck, just the ancillaries... the last time I saw a GSL-SE rearend for sale it went very quickly at $1500.  Once you buy one, find out it needs calipers, find out that you can't find calipers, have it narrowed, etc. you might be into just the rearend for over $3k.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/27/22 6:48 a.m.

Remember,  the sr20 non turbo came in the small domestic infiniti car. I have seen them at the junkyard not being picked at. Maybe overlooked?

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
5/27/22 8:06 a.m.

Rebuilding the stock engine is really out of the question.   It sat many years with the head off and Rust has taken over the engine.  Many major components are non salvageable.

The rear end has already been taken into consideration as well.  

Not looking for a racecar,  just wants modern ease and reliability really with enough power to be fun.

We are in KY,  and he has checked most major importers for an engine.   The price is a deterant, but many have said they can let him know when they have an SR20 but offer no timeline on when that may be.  He is motivated now and afraid he will lose interest if he has to wait forever on an engine.   

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
5/27/22 8:14 a.m.

Also,  the car is not all original,   has its fair share of rust on the underside and a considerable amount of bonds.   Its not a bad looking car but is far from pristine condition.   

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/27/22 8:45 a.m.
NY Nick said:

Miata chassis swap with an LS?

I'll show myself out now...

Do the chassis swap maybe if the wheelbases line up and the distance from front axle to front seat are close.

But dont do the engine swap.  Not needed.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
5/27/22 8:54 a.m.

Ok, now the condition of car is known, take into account that the material used during construction as insulator between the body and the chasse was a horse hair product.  It might deadened sound and vibration,but it absorbs moisture. Separating them  gives you access to the areas that need your attention.

Now the stock, open, rear end has a 3.9 ratio. The rest of the items like brake shoes and wheel cylinders can be made to work with 510 parts but you will have to change the hard lines to match. The front end offers your challenge, having limited options other than stock.

The inter net offers the options you will have on the front brakes, just pick your price point.

Any thing "Datsun" that you remove from the car will help your budget.  If you car has a complete radio you will not be using as an example, please let me know.  I hope this helps, they are a challenge but a fun car when complete.

David 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/27/22 9:07 a.m.

I've got a roadster bottom end from our challenge car sitting in my shop. It needs a new home.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
5/27/22 10:45 a.m.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=sr20det&_sacat=0

ebay has lots of SR20s ready to ship to him. Its likely he doesnt want to pay SR20 money, not so much the 'timeline' 

What about a KA24 from a USDM 240sx? Truck engines, very reliable, came in a lot of stuff. OR, as someone said upstream,the nonturbo SR20 came in some infiniti cars and the nissan 200sx here, junkyard it. 

It's a great looking car, I had the chance to buy one about a decade ago, but just didnt have the 2 grand to spend on a car as I was in college at the time. I regret it, they're awesome looking cars. But, then again, I read this thread and think, "Yeah, I just saved THOUSANDS"

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/27/22 11:04 a.m.

Why not a Mazda K series small V6 - look great, sound wonderful and would be a novelty in the Datsun.  Here is a KLZE engine in a tunnel - start watching at about the 20 sec. mark.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/22 12:33 p.m.

What's the end goal? For a fun driver with not too much energy and money input, I'd hop on 311s.org and post a want ad for another working motor. 

I think if you wait patiently you'll find a perfectly good replacement engine for very cheap. They're around. 

If you want a hotrod, I'd seriously consider Miata subframes front and rear and modify the frame to fit. Then pretty much any drivetrain you like.

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
5/27/22 12:34 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Honestly hadn't checked ebay,  only importers and every importer told him the same thing.   

But cost also became a concern.  He has has the car for nearly 2 years and looked at prices when he first bought it and started saving.  Now that he has the cash saved up,  prices are much higher.    

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
5/27/22 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Fun,  reliable, easy to maintain driver is the goal.  Hit the key and takeoff.   But a bit more pep than the original drivetrain can provide.  

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
5/27/22 12:49 p.m.

What is a rebuildable motor worth? One will pop up like Robbie said. Here is a recent picture of mine, from the hoard....

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/22 1:17 p.m.
Underpowered said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Fun,  reliable, easy to maintain driver is the goal.  Hit the key and takeoff.   But a bit more pep than the original drivetrain can provide.  

I'd look closely at Miata power. The bp engine is really nice in one way most of the other options (sr20, k, etc etc) are not, and that is in rear sump oil pan. 

On paper the Miata is not much more powerful but it real life it is.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KNdGh5qiGmcmZOObAn8AH4AG2hxdQ6raRx02vWQ1xjtszjVph3dLPSVo5Qfm8ymk