1 2
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/22 5:57 p.m.

Time is coming for new tires for my wife's Accord. Looking for a great all-season tire with good wet performance and not noisy.  The car doesn't see any spirited driving at all. 

Are Conti DWS still good? I can't remember if they're noisy. 

yupididit
7/31/22 5:57 p.m.

Can an admin change the title to "what passenger tires? "

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
7/31/22 6:02 p.m.

What size tires are we talking about?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/22 6:11 p.m.

Also listening. Costco is running a nice special on Bridgestone's for August, so I'm thinking of going ahead and replacing the tires on our Mazda 3. 

I was initially going to wait until closer to winter and do DWS. 

I just put Michelin Cross Climate 2's on my Camry.  I'm loving them in dry and rain.  Especially rain. Another set will go on my kid's Accord next week.  I usually avoid Michelin due to poor value, but these had super reviews and were competitive (-ish) on price.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/22 6:24 p.m.

I think DWS is still the go-to but there are others catching up according to the latest Tire Rack DWS test.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/22 6:28 p.m.

The Hankook 4S is a very pleasant surprise. And I'll always recommend nokian wrg4s 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/22 6:56 p.m.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/31/22 6:59 p.m.

yes

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/31/22 7:06 p.m.

I'll search some choices.  What year and trim Accord?  Or, what size tire?

My most recent purchases have been Continental True Contact Tour for my wife's minivan.  They were a good deal for 80k rated tires.  Read the Continental names closely.  They have a lot of names that are very similar like PureContact and ProContact and TrueContact, etc.  We're about 20k miles in on these tires and I have no complaints.  I guess if I had one complaint it would be that the tire has kind of ugly sidewalls.  A lot of smooth black voids between the words.  

For value purchase, I run the Prius fleet on Falken brand 201's a 65k rated tire.  I've bought 4 sets and no complaints.  Quiet and well wearing.  Falken makes a 250 model now too that is rated for 75k vs 65k in my needed size.  

I buy through tirebuyer.com and have been happy in the past.  Tire prices are way-up now but gas is also $5.  Their installers have gotten expensive (for my area) too.  But, 15% military discount!!!  

Everything on that site used to offer 2 year road hazzard included.  I'm not so sure they still do. sad

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/22 7:30 p.m.

DWS are great.  The General Altimax RT43 is also a great general purpose tire.  Both work well and I have never seen one with excessive runout.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/31/22 7:46 p.m.
yupididit said:

Time is coming for new tires for my wife's Accord. Looking for a great all-season tire with good wet performance and not noisy.  The car doesn't see any spirited driving at all. 

Are Conti DWS still good? I can't remember if they're noisy. 

Still excellent, still quiet, still reasonably priced for how good they are.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/22 7:48 p.m.

DWS 06 is a great tire, best passenger tire I've ever had. We have a set on my wife's Mazda5, previously had a set on my ralliart wagon.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
7/31/22 7:58 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

DWS are great.  The General Altimax RT43 is also a great general purpose tire.  Both work well and I have never seen one with excessive runout.

I used Continental Pure contact (the van may have been a different flavor) and the Altimax R43 on both the Sedona and the Elantra. I found for a DD that the General lasted longer without any notable difference in performance for these applications. 

I'll go with Generals again if they offer it in the size I need for the wife's Sportage. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/22 8:04 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

My word are they expensive now, though.  Teh Volvo is in dire need of new hoops, thread got me looking at Tire Rack's website.  $175 a pop!  For reference Firehawk 500s are $150 each in my size (235/45-17, fairly common)

When I worked in a shop that sold Generals, we sold a lot of them because they hit the trifecta of good, cheap, and durable.  Two outta three ain't bad now, I guess.

Conti ECSs are over $200 each now.  Guess I won't be getting those again...

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/22 8:44 p.m.

The general RT45s are out as of late May. I've seen them, but haven't driven on them yet. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/31/22 9:31 p.m.

I can recommend Nokian One tires. Pretty much their latest catch all, all season but they stick, wear well and handle on the forester. I want to say in the 19 inch wheel we have they were 150 a pop. Edit: whoops, 18 inch wheel. Shop locations too. discount tire had them for 171 per and plaza tire service for 152 per. big difference for same tire.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
7/31/22 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I just looked and saw the RT45 that Capt mentioned is $175 for the Sportage. About $50 more per tire than last time I bought General tires. 

I looked and the Michelins I put on the truck went from $185 in 2021 are now $223. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/31/22 11:48 p.m.

And all of these prices are why I went Toyo this time. Extensa HP II. Just got them last weekend so too soon to say. They were only $81 a tire for 195/55/15. 

So we will see what happens with them.

yupididit
8/1/22 7:20 a.m.
red_stapler said:

What size tires are we talking about?

225 50 17

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/1/22 7:31 a.m.
gunner (Forum Supporter) said:

I can recommend Nokian One tires. Pretty much their latest catch all, all season but they stick, wear well and handle on the forester. I want to say in the 19 inch wheel we have they were 150 a pop. Edit: whoops, 18 inch wheel. Shop locations too. discount tire had them for 171 per and plaza tire service for 152 per. big difference for same tire.

I put these on my wife's Acura TL and they seem very nice.

yupididit
8/1/22 7:37 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Check to see if your Costco actually have tires. My local Costco only have the most expensive in stock which are $278 Bridgestone Tur's

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
8/1/22 8:21 a.m.

Thumbs up for the DWS 06, ran them ragged on the GTI and can't wait to go back to them when these Kumho's wear out. Might even go back sooner, tbh. I have zero complaints about the Conti's in the rain, seemed quiet to my ear, and a smooth ride. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/1/22 8:23 a.m.
Lsxus
Lsxus New Reader
8/1/22 8:50 a.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YREWwr64vag3qOubOAeA8WbkNwVF9oE7Jf1odK3dyiwEIaKiXF74Y1tCSmREWezF