Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/9/11 5:38 p.m.

If I were to subscribe to a magazine that did good articles on older trucks... like 40s through 60s or so... what would you all suggest?

I hope this isn't against the rules here.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/9/11 6:25 p.m.

Stock trucks, or hot rodded/customized trucks? There's not much choice for the former. Magazines I'm aware of are Classic Trucks, Custom Classic Trucks, and Truckin'.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/11/11 5:39 a.m.

Vintage Truck is excellent. It sticks with mostly stock trucks and is fair as far as evenly covering all the brands. Very little advertising and good tech so you get your money's worth.

True Blue Trucks covers Fords pretty well though some content is wasted on pages of photos from shows which I don't find useful.

All the others are geared more towards hot rodding, are usually Chevy biased, and have the quality you'd expect from typical Petersen type publications.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
9/11/11 8:56 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Vintage Truck is excellent. It sticks with mostly stock trucks and is fair as far as evenly covering all the brands. Very little advertising and good tech so you get your money's worth. True Blue Trucks covers Fords pretty well though some content is wasted on pages of photos from shows which I don't find useful. All the others are geared more towards hot rodding, are usually Chevy biased, and have the quality you'd expect from typical Petersen type publications.

+1

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
9/11/11 9:58 a.m.

If truck = Miata with a hitch, and British convertible = vintage Miata Then Vintage truck = British convertible with a hitch. Therefore, vintage truck magazine = Classic Motorsports.

QED.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/11/11 10:18 a.m.

Budget build, rat rod, clean stock, frame swap for bang for the buck, stuff like that. I don't really know much about the older trucks, but I think the $100,000+ bagged flashy minitrucks are lame. But the guy who throws an old chevy on an s10 frame in his back yard and bags for less than $4000 is pretty cool I guess. Hard to say, I'm only really starting to scratch the surface of the truck world. Always been a car guy.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto New Reader
9/11/11 10:23 a.m.

The H.A.M.B. forum at jalopyjournal.com has anything you couldn't imagine on classic pick ups.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/11/11 10:37 a.m.

I wouldn't go to the HAMB and mention rat rod, it will get you drummed out pretty fast. As far as S-10 frame swaps go, the only frame that really fits under a classic truck is the one it came from the factory with...nowadays there are so many suspension, drivetrain, steering and brake upgrades available for classic trucks (many of them bolt on), all the work required to adapt a whole different frame doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/11/11 10:38 a.m.

Well, I don't really want to get into the frame swap or not debate, I just want to find the right magazine to spend money on.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y3FR6VvMjUBF7QZTLjSbBtuFRdfrkznKKHmlpEL5ptja8eGi8mmtnI6Ih0hemvgQ