Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/20/13 11:09 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: Sorry, but smoking doesn't make you a man, it makes you an idiot. Cancer, bad breath, filth, grey film on everything, ash...no thanks.
+1 - Not the focus of the original post.
If smoking wasn't the intent, but taking risks was- go for it. On the other hand, it's alwasy interesting to hear people who basically walked away from the sport in fear. Or have to live their lives with a preventable injury. If you want to live out your life that way, go for it. But doing that does not make you a "real man". Just makes you willing to sacrifice you future. Nothing more.
People are still out there pushing the limits of what is possible. I think that is awesome.
Its called BMX ... it is not for the faint of heart
You probably like all the old New World Disorder films, too, yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwNkUxCQi90

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/20/13 11:13 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Exactly. I smoke, and I know it's berkeleying stupid. BUT- I don't need anyone else to tell me. I get it. Why not just let these guys be these guys instead of corporate puppets, ya know? Like when everyone made a big fuss about Obama being a smoker- who gives a E36 M3! He's gonna president whether or not he's suckin' down Winstons....

I don't have a problem with him smoking. If that is what he does to relieve stress, good for him. Everyone needs to have something to relieve the stress they are under. I have a problem with the hypocrisy of telling people what they cannot do, and then doing the very thing that we were all told not to do.

But if the president smokes.... So what. That's his health and life that he is affecting, not mine. None of my business.

/soapbox off

06HHR
06HHR Reader
8/20/13 11:18 a.m.

This guy made a living being upside-down and on fire at 1000 ft..
15 Funny car championships, like him or not, I think he fits right in here.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
8/20/13 11:37 a.m.

That's all fine to "do what they want" as long as they have medical care in some form. Don't wear a motorcycle helmet or seatbelts? Okay, but don't show up at a hospital being unable to pay the bills. Freedom comes with responsibility.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/20/13 11:44 a.m.
Wxdude10 wrote: But if the president smokes.... So what. That's his health and life that he is affecting, not mine. None of my business.

ORLY?

kb58 wrote: That's all fine to "do what they want" as long as they have medical care in some form. Don't wear a motorcycle helmet or seatbelts? Okay, but don't show up at a hospital being unable to pay the bills. Freedom comes with responsibility.

Agreed. I always thought that there should be no helmet or seatbelt laws... except that being involved in an accident without using one made you automatically ineligible for Medicaid.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/20/13 11:47 a.m.
kb58 wrote: That's all fine to "do what they want" as long as they have medical care in some form. Don't wear a motorcycle helmet or seatbelts? Okay, but don't show up at a hospital being unable to pay the bills. Freedom comes with responsibility.

100% Agree!

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/20/13 11:48 a.m.
Duke wrote:
Wxdude10 wrote: But if the president smokes.... So what. That's his health and life that he is affecting, not mine. None of my business.
ORLY?

Well, I didn't say it was a perfect plan.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
8/20/13 11:59 a.m.

Where it gets tricky is the medical coverage. Theoretically, insurance companies set fees based upon assumed risk. However, neglecting to mention smoking (or no seatbelt use, or no helmet), then it turns into the insuree using insurance as a socialized safety net for risk taking... they're avoiding taking full responsibility for their actions.

Now the bitter pill... how many of us tell our insurer that we engage in "high risk" automotive activities... So in a way we're all doing it to some degree.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
8/20/13 12:03 p.m.

And to get back on topic... now these guys are it. This sure gets my stomach... just play the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrKX1X-Pcko

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/20/13 12:08 p.m.

sweet innocent little baby jesus...seriously guys?!?!

this is why we cant have nice things...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/20/13 12:14 p.m.

Chuck Yeager.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/20/13 12:18 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: sweet innocent little baby jesus...seriously guys?!?! this is why we cant have nice things...

+1

I like pie. and cheesecake. and cake. oh and muffins.....

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
8/20/13 12:26 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR:

If we're going to even mention him, we have to mention the guy who went way before him.......Tommy Ivo

Backwards, Upside down, and on fire......yet still Qualified P-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoZjQ7T5l5U

Built insane things, like a 4wd 4 engined dragster....

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
8/20/13 12:27 p.m.
kb58 wrote: And to get back on topic... now *these* guys are *it*. This sure gets my stomach... just play the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrKX1X-Pcko

Mother of pearl. You could put a $1,000,000 stack of Benjamins up there, and I could not get to it.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
8/20/13 12:40 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to 06HHR: If we're going to even mention him, we have to mention the guy who went way before him.......Tommy Ivo Backwards, Upside down, and on fire......yet still Qualified P-1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoZjQ7T5l5U Built insane things, like a 4wd 4 engined dragster....

If we're going to mention him, then we need to mention these guys:

Art Arfons

Craig Breedlove:

Mickey Thompson:

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
8/20/13 12:44 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Don't forget the pastries... And the danishes too!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/20/13 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Wxdude10:

Ooh! Donuts!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/20/13 12:56 p.m.

when men were men

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/20/13 1:01 p.m.

back when men were men? these 3 were men.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/20/13 1:08 p.m.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
8/20/13 1:08 p.m.

Helmets, fire suits, seatbelts ... pffft. Barney Oldfield didn't need them.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
8/20/13 1:12 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/20/13 2:07 p.m.
kb58 wrote: Where it gets tricky is the medical coverage. Theoretically, insurance companies set fees based upon assumed risk. However, neglecting to mention smoking (or no seatbelt use, or no helmet), then it turns into the insuree using insurance as a socialized safety net for risk taking... they're avoiding taking full responsibility for their actions. Now the bitter pill... how many of us tell our insurer that we engage in "high risk" automotive activities... So in a way we're all doing it to some degree.

I told mine, asked if there was any added surcharge (or penalty if I crashed and they didn't allow racing) .. .they said "no problem, have at it"

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/20/13 2:09 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
kb58 wrote: And to get back on topic... now *these* guys are *it*. This sure gets my stomach... just play the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrKX1X-Pcko
Mother of pearl. You could put a $1,000,000 stack of Benjamins up there, and I *could not get to it*.

I used to work where we had to climb towers ... the tallest I climbed was 50 - 75' ... and I didn't like that ... my boss worked at near the top of a commercial radio station tower ... not for me ...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/20/13 2:28 p.m.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pm05nJrbU1BKGlXfSoGF6arpX5DUQoU1aNzEXJzOj9FX3xD2GgKfbbAVYa675bZ4