1 2
stroker
stroker Dork
9/27/13 12:47 p.m.

I used to have a '82 Accord and I miss it some days. With the impending divorce approaching I'm thinking I need to rethink transportation. Which generation of Accord gets the rep for most reliable?

beans
beans HalfDork
9/27/13 12:55 p.m.

Probably the 4th/5th gens since they're basically the same under the body.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/27/13 12:57 p.m.

I think pretty much all Accords are darn near bulletproof. I know from experience the '94-'97 gen will run and run and run and run....

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/13 1:05 p.m.

I guess it's the little crease in the trunk, but I have always liked the Acura CL. With another 50hp, this would be a great DD.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
9/27/13 1:10 p.m.

I like the 5th gen accord. Better interior than the 4th gen, and none of that auto seatbelt BS. The 80's accords don't have as much of an aftermarket and have pop up lights. I would go for the '95 as they are emissions exempt in my state. Automatics are not really recommended. Newer ones with the K series engine are really nice, but they could have that dumb timing chain issue.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
9/27/13 1:11 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I guess it's the little crease in the trunk, but I have always liked the Acura CL. With another 50hp, this would be a great DD.

Ooo! That is also a good option! They have the better brake setup where you don't have to muck around with the wheel bearing every time you do brakes!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/27/13 1:12 p.m.

You're getting divorced and you are interested in an Accord?

I think the answer is Miata.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
9/27/13 1:27 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: I guess it's the little crease in the trunk, but I have always liked the Acura CL. With another 50hp, this would be a great DD.
Ooo! That is also a good option! They have the better brake setup where you don't have to muck around with the wheel bearing every time you do brakes!

As long as you snag a 98-99. The 97's still have the uber-craptastic WTF-were-we-thinking captive rotors.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
9/27/13 1:27 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: You're getting divorced and you are interested in an Accord? I think the answer is LS7Miata.

FTFY.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
9/27/13 1:46 p.m.

I always mess up which generation is which, but you can put a decent amount of boost in the f22, without modification those accords with f22s can fit (with little modification) the 200hp h22 from a prelude.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
9/27/13 2:01 p.m.

Bought my wife's 2005 (7th gen) 4-cyl 5-speed Accord at 120K back in January of 2011, immediately did a brake job, tires, valve adjustment and a ball joint. We've since put ~40K miles on it. Almost all of that is city driving and living outside the garage, so it's been a pretty hard 40K.

In that time, I've had to replace an O2 sensor. That's it for unscheduled maintenance.

It's not particularly awful to drive, nicely laid out, and a total breeze to work on when you need to. The car is stupid great.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
9/27/13 2:15 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Newer ones with the K series engine are really nice, but they could have that dumb timing chain issue.

The K-series in my RSX made it through 176k miles of abuse and was still going strong when it got wrecked.

People who have a bad experience tell 100 people. People who have a good experience tell 5.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
9/27/13 2:23 p.m.

From what we've seen, the main culprit with the timing chain problems is way too long OCI.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
9/27/13 3:58 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: From what we've seen, the main culprit with the timing chain problems is way too long OCI.

Yeah. I should have said, "might have a timing chain issue. Depends on previous owners maintenance regime."

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/27/13 5:51 p.m.

Ive had a decent amount of experience working on and driving every type of accord from 85-06 or so. If you're just looking for reliability it's hard to go wrong, but i'd avoid the really old ones if you dont want to work on them AT ALL.

After that it all gets kinda harder.. imo the best way to pick which accord you want is to be pickier and decide how much power you want, whether you want 2dr, 4dr, wagon, etc. That will help narrow it down.

stroker
stroker Dork
9/27/13 9:41 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: You're getting divorced and you are interested in an Accord? I think the answer is Miata.

Two passengers, ages 5 and 3... Besides, I'm 6-3 300+ so one Miata makes a nice shoe...

I'm beginning to wonder if a P71 might be a better choice... I was smitten by the potential mpg but I only drive 6K/year...

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
9/27/13 9:47 p.m.

Third gens hold hp well if you avoid the carbed models. I am daily driving one that has 220,000 miles on it right now. My next car is going to be an 88 sedan that I put together out of some old parts cars. The engines handle boost really well, and now decent manifolds are available (through me). There are also B series mounts out there for something like $260.

They're a bit lighter than the rest, and a bit smaller than the others. With some mods, they're really good cars.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
9/27/13 9:49 p.m.

This is what my 89 coupe looks like now. No lowering, just different wheels. It needs to be cleaned up and painted, but it was a $350 car that I have about $800 in right now.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/27/13 10:38 p.m.

I loved the 3rd gen. Only issues is lack of after market and the vacuum system on the carbed models.

I would jump up to a 6th gen. Late 90's peak of honda quality, just right size.

I have 2 7th gens in the family. Wife has an '03 coupe, mom has an '07 V6 sedan, both auto. On the 4cly, you can really feel the double wishbone suspension. The weight of the 6 deadens it. Good space up front on both. Back seat in the coupe sucks, but in the sedan you can stretch out.

From what I understand, the 8th gen is similar, a little bigger. Going up to the new 2013, they went over to a McStrut.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
9/28/13 12:10 a.m.

The vacuum system can be ditched if you don't have to worry about emissions. BTDT.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/28/13 12:58 a.m.
stroker wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: You're getting divorced and you are interested in an Accord? I think the answer is Miata.
Two passengers, ages 5 and 3... Besides, I'm 6-3 300+ so one Miata makes a nice shoe... I'm beginning to wonder if a P71 might be a better choice... I was smitten by the potential mpg but I only drive 6K/year...

Ah, I see. Miata is definitely not the answer there.

How about a CNG P71? :)

Too bad G8 isn't cheaper. Does a GTO work?

stroker
stroker Dork
9/28/13 8:25 a.m.
Ah, I see. Miata is definitely not the answer there. How about a CNG P71? :) Too bad G8 isn't cheaper. Does a GTO work?

I'm going to be struggling with the loss of her income to stay in the black monthly AT ALL. If I can get someone to buy my Sidekick in preparation for winter I may have a few grand to invest in something new, so right now I'm looking at low cost to get in, high mpg (because I think gas is going to go nuts before all this Middle East crap is done) and absolute stone axe reliability. Beyond that, I don't care much. I've got a friend who has ties to insurance and he comes across estate stuff all the time. I can probably get into a 20 year old Buick/Mercury/whatever with stupid low miles cheap. I just inquired about the Accord because I really liked my old '82. However, my brother had a good point about the lack of airbags in the older stuff and with the girls that's something I have to consider. I know that from personal experience three years ago.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/28/13 8:54 a.m.

What's wrong with the Sidekick? Those are usually pretty reliable and cheap to maintain, right? Maybe just keep it? Although the MPG's won't be great I guess...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/13 8:56 a.m.

I've owned a '94 EX, a '98 LX, an '04 EX-L and a '10 EX-L Accord. All were purchased new. The first two were four cylinders and the last two were V6s.

I tried to make the '94 handle better, but didn't have a whole lot of luck with it. The front rotors were a pain in the ass.

I liked the '98 a lot, but it really needed a V6. I also regretted not getting an EX for a little more seat adjustability, but it wasn't in the budget at the time.

I still own the '04 (150k+ miles) and the '10 (50k). I've never had any issues with either of them. I have liked each newer generation better than the one before, but if I were recommending a used car bargain, I suggest the '04, whichever generation that is. You do the math. It's a good car, it's comfortable, bulletproof and has plenty of power with the V6. There are also so many of them around that finding a perfect one should be a piece of cake. Downside: I've always thought the '04 was ugly.

You always need one car in the garage that you can just jump in, turn the key and go. That's the Accord.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/28/13 12:16 p.m.
my brother had a good point about the lack of airbags in the older stuff and with the girls that's something I have to consider.

Im not trying to dissuade you from your concern for safety in the least, but back seats STILL dont usually have airbags. Some rear seats have side airbags, but not all (afaik). If you have the option to stick your kids in the back, i would every time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u4Y3aZ4Nt2WYY2Wq5b4Ui39T9OTlVsKlnWaQlXKBLoqyDefncyZ6DlxR1v5sxrTY