Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
10/25/16 3:13 p.m.

Looking for a donor pressure plate for the transmission swap on my Fiat. I know the 90's civics turned backwards, did the earlier cars as well? Like for instance an 85 1.5L Civic?

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
10/25/16 3:22 p.m.

I know that the D-series and B-series both turned 'backwards'. I believe everything since then rotates conventionally. I don't know about any of their earlier engines though. It seems that the E-series engine essentially became the D-series engines, and presumably also may have turned 'backwards'?

Opti
Opti HalfDork
10/25/16 3:22 p.m.

I dont know E36 M3 about hondas so I may be wrong, but i was under the impression the motor still turned clockwise it was just in the car backwards

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/16 3:40 p.m.

I'm under the impression that they all did, prior to the K and J series. Not a problem if you're keeping the matching transmission.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
10/25/16 3:47 p.m.

Just to confuse it more, some of the F-series engines were clockwise as well (S2000).

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
10/25/16 4:00 p.m.

Just got confirmation from the local Honda guru that as an early D series it does indeed spin counterclockwise which is awesome.

Pressure plates strapped for CCW rotation are rare beasts. The early D motor uses a 190mm clutch disc. A rabbit 190mm disc fits the input shaft splines on my Audi transaxle.

I will get there eventually

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
10/25/16 5:15 p.m.
Jumper K. Balls wrote: Just got confirmation from the local Honda guru that as an early D series it does indeed spin counterclockwise which is awesome.

Are you sure you're both using the same frame of reference when referring to CW vs CCW?...As in both when viewed from the bellhousing side vs when viewed from the pulley side? If so, great news for you, but it certainly doesn't coincide with the body of knowledge I'm familiar with.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
10/25/16 5:34 p.m.

Engine rotation is noted from the pulley end. As long as I can remember.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/25/16 6:00 p.m.

Trans on passenger side equals reverse rotation, right?

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
10/25/16 6:10 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Are you sure you're both using the same frame of reference when referring to CW vs CCW?...As in both when viewed from the bellhousing side vs when viewed from the pulley side? If so, great news for you, but it certainly doesn't coincide with the body of knowledge I'm familiar with.

He knows exactly what I am talking about. Honda 4's (except the K series) turn CCW from the pulley side.

Thus they are hard to supercharge

I knew this for the mid 90's stuff but didn't know how long it went on.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/25/16 7:06 p.m.

H-series, backwards. K-series, forward

Unless your mating the engine with some other transmission it doesn't make a hoot of difference. Why not just drop in the entire drivetrain?

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
10/25/16 7:20 p.m.

There's the disconnect...My interpretation of your title and comments, had me thinking you were referencing it from the engine side.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/16 7:52 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Trans on passenger side equals reverse rotation, right?

In Hondaville, yes.

Mitsubishis all have have "normal" rotation engines, but they had the drivetrain "backwards" relative to conventional LHD vehicle logic in their older vehicles. I know the Evolution moved the engine to the right side with the Evo IV to make for a simpler/less lossy transmission, but I don't remember quite when they made the change in US models.

More fun is, for the second generation DSM, the 4G63 was on the left and the Neon engine was on the right.

I think the reason older Hondas were "reverse" is Honda never had longitudinal rear drive cars, their cars were all transverse front-drive (ignoring the S-cars, here, which were suitably goofy to ignore) and they were designed for RHD living, so they stuck the engine over on the RHD passenger side and made it rotate CCW for simplicity's sake. Mitsubishi was RWD until the 80s, but they used their existing engines with RHD-friendly engine mounting, so they needed an extra shaft in the trans so the engines rotated backwards relative to the drive wheels.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
10/26/16 9:00 a.m.
kb58 wrote: H-series, backwards. K-series, forward Unless your mating the engine with some other transmission it doesn't make a hoot of difference. Why not just drop in the entire drivetrain?

I'm not using a Honda engine or transmission. I just needed a donor pressure plate that is strapped for reverse rotation.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5ZazaX4bpWs64G51oFEQ84mNJADYC9VLqlP9ZvaLxYkdTxdjS4WR5ulcec2f9fqz