lnlds
lnlds New Reader
8/29/12 10:39 p.m.

Getting my celica gt-s in order and just ordered tires not onto brakes What do you guys recommend in terms of cheap at least as good as oem brakes. I do not plan on auto-x or tracking the car at this point in time.

I'm leaning towards oem pads with napa premium rotors, but I'm up for suggestions.

I definitely don't want to cheap out on something as important as brakes but I don't want to overspend. How are the centric standard rotors? I saw them on rockauto for 15 bucks a piece. What does grm say I should use for a DD? Should I go for HPS over oem?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/12 10:47 p.m.

Centric rotors are what we use on the lemons car. I'll say this, after 16 hours of flogging them, they don't warp like the duracrap we used previously.

As far as the pads, I'd probably run Napa's better set. I use them on my work truck with good success. They stop great and don't fade like the cheaper pads do when they get hot. Since I do a fair amount of towing in heavy traffic with it, fading is a bad thing.

I just put a set of EBC yellows on the T-bird. They aren't cheap, but wow do they stop good. They are a little dusty though.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
8/29/12 11:19 p.m.

I still really like the Axxis Ultimates for street autox and mountain runs. Great feel, long lasting, no noise, medium dust levels.

I hate the feel of HPS pads. They don't feel like they grip unless you stand on the pedal.

Don't like EBC greens either. Tried them once and they were great. Tried them again and they didn't last long.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/30/12 12:37 a.m.

I usually use Brembo replacement rotors, but I'll probably try the Centrics next time, because they're cheaper.

I've had great luck with Akebono Euro pads. They've got good feel, work well cold or warm, and are quiet and non-dusty.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/30/12 7:34 a.m.

for regular street driving I like Wagner thermoquiet. No dust, good stopping power and , well, quiet. Centric rotors are good in my book.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/30/12 8:19 a.m.

Also a fan of Centric Premium rotors. The Premiums have a painted hat, so they don't look immediately rusty.

Axxis Ultimates are my favorite pads for bang-for-the-buck, but they may be more than the OP needs and dust heavily compared to other "street" pads. Although worth it IMHO.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb Reader
8/30/12 8:56 a.m.

Another vote for Centric Premium Rotors. I like the Ate flower pattern shaped ones but they are a little spendy and the fitment list is shorter.

I always try to get Satisfied GS pads when I can and if I can't I get Centric 105 series. If those are hard to find I will get the Wagner Thermoquiets. For street use I think these are generally the best three pads. Akebono makes a great pad too.

heyduard
heyduard Reader
8/30/12 10:31 a.m.

+1 on centric and napa rotors. if centric makes cryo-stop for your ride, even better. If they have it for your application, Carbotech's Bobcats pads are great for spirited driving. Napa premium pads and regular rotors are working well for my wife's small SUV.

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/30/12 8:40 p.m.

Just put Napa premium rotors and their ceramic pads on my '00 Celica GT this past weekend. Haven't had much of a chance to try them out, only got about 100 miles on them. I think I spent about $130 for parts + tax. So far they seem to stop fine and are quiet. Car has stock steel wheels with plastic covers so I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell about dust. Never had a problem with the oem pads as far as stopping, noise or dust but wanted to try ceramic pads.

lnlds
lnlds New Reader
8/31/12 11:30 p.m.

Alright, I'm definitely getting Centric premium rotors. I'm most likely going to go with wagner thermoquiets for no other reason than they were mentioned first over the centric posi-quiets.

I got my tires mounted today and took a day trip with SWMBO and found out my front left caliper is sticking too.

when checking this it's just slide pins, brake pad contact points with caliper and trying to push in the piston with a C-clamp right? Do i have to open the bleeder valve when I'm doing that?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/12 11:57 p.m.

I have the NAPA ceramic pads (Not the Safety Stops, the Ultra Premium) on my VW...

Never. Again.

I had them on my Nissan and they would simply stop working when wet or cold. I figured this was a fluke when it came time to do brakes on the VW (standard 10.1" brake system) so on went the UPs.

If the pads are wet, such as when driving in the rain, you can stand on the pedal with one foot on the other and it doesn't do a thing until the rotors are cleared off. I just went back into the habit of dragging the brakes every so often.

They don't fade much, at least. Car currently has a rough-running issue at anything but WOT, so picture a white box on wheels tooling along at full throttle at 70mph with the brakes on...

Have had excellent good times with Safety Stops and, believe it or not, the cheapo green-box pads.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jpj6vraXicPPYf7s12kckUwc7xTrGZIGy93PVu3usIh6cTArYreCxAJueMmQW67L