BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/23 10:27 a.m.

My X1/9 sprung a small exhaust leak on the way back from Florida and of course instead of just replacing the gasket I'm now looking at putting on a full sport exhaust system. I'll have to check with MWB but I don't think their headers are coated in any way, shape or form. Given the well-known heat issues in the engine compartment and rear trunk (rrunk?), I was toying with the idea of having the header coated before putting it on in the hope that it'll reduce the temperatures in the engine bay a little.

Who do we like for exhaust coatings on a brand new header?

Trent
Trent PowerDork
7/3/23 10:58 a.m.

Finish Line Coatings in Milwaukee Oregon is who I use for pretty much every car we build. I ship them headers and manifolds and they ship back wonderfully coated parts that hold up for decades of use. I like the CeraChrome finish.

The Cerakote finish I can have done locally does not block heat as well and hasn't held up as nicely over the years.  I don't recommend it for exhausts

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/3/23 5:57 p.m.

Oddly enough black bbq paint has worked better than some fancier paints. Used jet hot and swain but never seemed worth it

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/23 6:52 p.m.

Whatever Hooker uses on their headers burns off rapidly, recommend avoiding.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/23 7:16 p.m.

I can't recommend Swain, it's flaking off and melting on my exhaust. I'd go with Jet Hot if I were doing it again, it's pure ceramic instead of ceramic over aluminum as I understand Swain to be.

I'd probably wrap it in something from DEI, though. Something like Form-A-Shield, or Floor and Tunnel on the car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/4/23 11:21 a.m.

We went with Swain Tech on our Mustang project

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/4/23 11:23 a.m.

While we talk about heat management here:

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
7/4/23 3:07 p.m.

For any of these, do the headers need to be totally clean mild steel or stainless, or is light surface rust on mild steel still acceptable?  

Trent
Trent PowerDork
7/4/23 3:47 p.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

For the ceramic coatings, nothing less than freshly sandblasted clean metal will do. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LHmi53LATFfzGGMdjcjPC3QDVVaFQvoHvCi4JzUDcddYGuBibepwL8VYENNRcO9a