cvedral
cvedral New Reader
12/7/11 1:27 p.m.

The magnaflow is just to loud. I Hate to drive the car now. Any preformance mufflers recomended?

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
12/7/11 1:57 p.m.

Way too many variables to answer this question with any authority, but I can say, on my Mustang, I went from Magnaflows to Dynomax Turbos and had a good improvement toward quietness. Still not quiet enough but I'll live with it for now.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/11 2:09 p.m.

The type of muffler, location within the system, and piping sizes all have WAY more to do with noise than the brand. We need a lot more info to help out on this one...

pres589
pres589 Dork
12/7/11 2:14 p.m.

Needs more info.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
12/7/11 2:18 p.m.

can you add a resonator? Even a small one will make a big difference.

paul
paul Reader
12/7/11 4:12 p.m.

Spintech has several versions of their street mufflers that are now & quiet w/ great flow...

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
12/7/11 4:42 p.m.

If you have an N/A street car, you might want to look into a Dynomax VT muffler. It has a spring-actuated flapper valve inside that muffles the sound until there is enough exhaust pressure to open it. That way, you get some of your loud back when you romp on the throttle. Dynomax's parent company makes exhaust components for OEM Nissans. They're about $90-100 depending on size from Summit.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/2142/dynomax-vt-muffler-dyno-test-does-quiet-mean-slow.aspx

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
12/7/11 5:10 p.m.

I'm old and I hate fartcans everywhere and magnaflows anywhere other than on a racetrack. I've got Walker Dynomax mufflers on pretty much everything I own, 4 cylinder and V8.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/7/11 5:54 p.m.

Several years ago a "different" magazine did a flow test on a bunch of mufflers, of course biased toward V8s. The one they came up with for the winner as far as quiet/performance was a Walker factory replacement muffler for a Mopar 440 application. Not sure what vehicle.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
12/7/11 5:58 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I'm old and I hate fartcans everywhere and magnaflows anywhere other than on a racetrack. I've got Walker Dynomax mufflers on pretty much everything I own, 4 cylinder and V8.

Agree on this, big time. I will never use another SuperTrapp :(

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
12/7/11 9:25 p.m.

I had a Dynomax Super Turbo and 2" pipe on my old GA16 Nissan Sentra, cat-back no resonator. Sounded like a half dozen angry bees fighting in a coffee can.

I had a Magnaflow muffler, Magnaflow cat, and 2-1/2" pipe with mandrel-bent U's on my KA24 Nissan Hardbody, and almost made a year before the drone drove me nuts. I replaced the muffler with a Walker SoundFX muffler (2-1/2" in, dual 2" out), and it's not too bad. Dones less and in a different rpm. Doesn't flow as nice though, but that's the price you pay for being willing to live with it.

I had a perforated-core Thrush Magnum glasspack on the 4AGE Lethal Locost, 2-1/4" pipe with the outlet 10" from my elbow, and it was ear-splittingly loud. The wife could start dinner when she heard me pull off the highway.... I replaced it with a Dynomax, but the remaining 119dB of wind noise makes the exhaust pretty quiet by comparison.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/7/11 10:42 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: Several years ago a "different" magazine did a flow test on a bunch of mufflers, of course biased toward V8s. The one they came up with for the winner as far as quiet/performance was a Walker factory replacement muffler for a Mopar 440 application. Not sure what vehicle.

You know, a year or so ago this particular magazine also tested a few different mufflers and looked at horsepower vs. sound levels.

cvedral
cvedral New Reader
12/8/11 6:24 a.m.

The car is a honda s2000 2.2l 4. It's mainly a track car used for tt with Nasa. Header back 2.5" and magnaflow. Everynow an then i drive it on the street. After i posted yesterday i stopped where it was installed. He agreed it's already blown out the packing. It was loud but bearable when new but after two track weekends it changed alot. The dynomax i was told will reduce hp. It's design is not good for a 9k rpm engine. So what else is out there that will hold up, quiet it down alittle and not destruct in a month of track duty?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/8/11 6:38 a.m.
cvedral wrote: The car is a honda s2000 2.2l 4. It's mainly a track car used for tt with Nasa. Header back 2.5" and magnaflow. Everynow an then i drive it on the street. After i posted yesterday i stopped where it was installed. He agreed it's already blown out the packing. It was loud but bearable when new but after two track weekends it changed alot. The dynomax i was told will reduce hp. It's design is not good for a 9k rpm engine. So what else is out there that will hold up, quiet it down alittle and not destruct in a month of track duty?

A turbo.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
12/8/11 7:17 a.m.
cvedral wrote: The dynomax i was told will reduce hp. It's design is not good for a 9k rpm engine. So what else is out there that will hold up, quiet it down alittle and not destruct in a month of track duty?

HP, probably true. I bought a stainless dynomax to replace the regular steel one, which broke apart in a less than a season of roadracing on the Neon, and the new one seems to be holding together.

I think longevity on a racetrack might be a bit of an issue with anything. Tough life out there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sF7flfefY7m7QhXtgqWHk4wBT9h9hsSjtz0OwE2J2r1MhL9v13doKReJEJKq7jPS