Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
3/18/24 11:45 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IjBrt-mDbbk

Sure, this E110 Toyota Corolla isn't anything like today's GR Corolla, but it can still hold its own in motorsport.

Its owner, Britt Mann, explains what makes it a good car to compete with–especially in series like the 24 Hours of Lemons.

Watch more videos

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
3/18/24 6:02 p.m.

There's something endearing (dare I say "sexy"?) about utilitarian transportation being transformed or repurposed into a racing car.  The availability and lightness of this platform is a major attraction in my book.  I can't think of a reliable and cheap platform than an old Corolla like this--can anyone think of a better car for Lemons?  Maybe one that you already own for $0?

Bugweiser74
Bugweiser74 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/18/24 9:06 p.m.

There is a bunch of videos of the car on https://youtube.com/@southpawcustoms787?si=MPmP-r375qVmSoGz

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/24 7:59 a.m.

Hey, thats me driving in that pic! :)  The car really kicks ass.  Its not fast in a straight line but will out corner almost anything at a Lemons race!  And dead reliable.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
3/19/24 8:14 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/24 8:31 a.m.

I'll say it again, this thing looks the business and deserves a detuned GR motor with a 6-speed or DCT. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/19/24 9:10 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/24 10:07 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
johndej said:

Made me remember corolla cup!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/introducing-the-corolla-cup-like-club-spec-but-cheaper/256362/page1/

Corolla Cup!

The first few events of the Corolla Cup have gotten screwed over by mother nature.  But we have a group of 5 or 6 corollas ready to run.  The $2k Challenge is one of the events on our calendar, but I'll be running a different car :/

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/19/24 11:21 a.m.

How did I miss this on the first go round.

I once raced a couple of ITT Corollas. One of the west coast guys came up with Improved Touring Toyota for Corollas back in the early to mid 90s. 

They were crude as hell but stupid fun.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/19/24 3:27 p.m.

Who says you need the latest, greatest expensive sports car to have fun? This seems to defy that logic. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/19/24 3:49 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

Who says you need the latest, greatest expensive sports car to have fun? This seems to defy that logic. 

Our motto since 1992 has been "faster than a set of bleachers"

Once you stop caring about outright lap times it opens it a ton of possibilities.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/20/24 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

That is true. Being involved > not being involved. 

J_P
J_P New Reader
6/14/24 10:20 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

I had a 4afe intercooled with a t25 on it. Unofficially put the car in the mid 13's and was plenty fast. 
If you or anyone on the team is interested in the stainless mandrel manifold I still have left, I want it to find a good home to be used instead of collecting dust on this shelf in my garage as the car is long gone. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tcrRvnZ1Ewa1NITGFS8IFImZ1bTsdekC4qDVrH1VPEY9NyxagP49WNVrkFe19MTm