1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/15 6:37 p.m.

Sam & Dave (fast forward to the 12:45 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTzf0veo0Ks

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/2/15 7:01 p.m.

I also didn't know I needed one of these until now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, woody!

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/15 7:31 p.m.

woah.

So many good uses!

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/2/15 7:38 p.m.

Looks very useful, but.. How is removing it? Pain in the butt or as bad as usual?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/2/15 8:52 p.m.

Thanks Woody! I was looking for that perfect Christmas gift and this one fits the bill nicely. Good timing on your coolant system failure sir.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
12/3/15 5:14 a.m.
classicJackets wrote: Looks very useful, but.. How is removing it? Pain in the butt or as bad as usual?

Depends on how tightly you clamped it, how squishy the material you clamped it on is, and how good your dykes are.

But, generally, a sharp tipped set of dykes and snipping off the top of the back curl lets you then use a screwdriver to push down the remaining curl, or pop the cross wire over them. So 5-10 seconds to remove.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
12/3/15 6:24 a.m.

I want to see it used on the lower rad hose on a Mini!

Neat, and I do have some want, but it looks like it would be hard to use in many engine compartment applications.

DatsunS130
DatsunS130 Reader
12/3/15 6:47 a.m.

I didn't know I needed to have this. Thanks! A question for those that already have it. What size wire is recommended? .032 or .041

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
12/3/15 7:11 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Neat, and I do have some want, but it looks like it would be hard to use in many engine compartment applications.

It can be. If you can't get nearly a 180 degree swing you can't use it. But when you can, it makes a very smooth and catch-free fitting. Wonderful for repairing garden hoses and tool handles and such. As well many hydraulic lines.

A radiator hose is one of the repairs I wouldn't likely use this on. Not that it couldn't be done, but I wouldn't inherently find this repair superior to spring or worm clamps.

The first time you repair a garden hose with this though, and have a hose you can still drag across the lawn without ripping up the grass, it's wonderful. You'll never repair a garden hose with a standard hose clamp again.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
12/3/15 9:44 a.m.

for some reason, after watching the video I came away with the urge to buy these for everything!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/15 9:56 a.m.

My brother got me one for Christmas a few years ago. I have only used a a couple of times but I would not give it up now.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/15 10:16 a.m.

I imagine this could be used for TONs of stuff. Like if you were assembling an underground sprinkler system, it would rock (and probably pay for itself in hose clamps). If you needed to attach something to a chain-link fence, or a flagpole. If you wanted a creative way to hold your gutters together. I use mechanic wire to tie a lot of stuff together, and just using the 'twist' method to get stuff tight sometimes works and sometimes doesnt.

kb58
kb58 Dork
12/3/15 12:55 p.m.

Initially this hit my "want button" but now I'm not so sure. If something goes wrong on the road, like a leaking hose, I'd normally just give the worm-drive clamp another turn with a screwdriver and be on my way. With this, it would have to be cut off and a new one formed while hot coolant is spewing forth. For somethings it seems perfect, but for others, not so much. It would be cool to have in the tool bag though, for some stuff.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
12/3/15 3:31 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: for some reason, after watching the video I came away with the urge to buy these for everything!

I want to love T clamps, particularly the spring loaded "constant tension" variety, but I just don't. That long 1/4-28 thread hanging out the side just ruins it for me. If you are trying to make the engine bay look clean you have to rotate them until they are usually a pain to access and then when you have to reach into the bay you have all these rigid hooks grabbing at your shirt or skin. Plus if you have a metric car you have to remember to bring a single 7/16" deep socket anytime you are working on it even though every other fastener on the vehicle is metric.

I keep a stock of "euro" style clamps

Because, lets face it the standard parts/hardware store type are hideous.

But for most applications the standard ol' constant tension spring variety is perfect

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/15 4:39 p.m.

Of course, an 11mm socket makes for a nice substitute for a 7/16". The difference is less than 0.005".

Constant torque clamps are a good option for a clean and effective clamp. Better for reuse than most of the T clamps I've met as well, and you can even chain them together to make a really large diameter clamp. But you need to carry a range of sizes if you want to ensure you always have the perfect one for an emergency. I do - but I'll be evaluating the Clamptite as well to see how it does.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
12/3/15 5:28 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Of course, an 11mm socket makes for a nice substitute for a 7/16". The difference is less than 0.005".

I realize that, but it is the principle of the thing

DatsunS130
DatsunS130 Reader
12/4/15 6:25 a.m.

I just bought the $29.99 version. I'm sure I'll use it to repair hammer handles more than anything, but I had to feed my tool addiction. I can't see myself spending $60 plus for the stainless/brass version because it will be used so infrequent.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
12/4/15 6:58 a.m.

I got my unit from DESMOTIMES in Fl. there you guessed it a Ducati bike shop changing the fuel filter on Duc's and the intank hoses its a real pain to fit a clamp in there and they are known to pop off often if you don't use the $15per foot hose... To be honest I've had it 4 year used it twice with no problems but I normally just use a real efi band clamp and some shim stock with the proper efi intake hose. looks like LT is closed right now. "Desmo Times is closed until 1 July 2016 so that I may attend Army War College"

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
12/29/15 10:49 p.m.

I received mine a few weeks ago. Did a few test clamps with it. Seems to function as advertised. Today I needed to clamp a large square item so I thought finally! I get to use it.

Not sure what happened. I thought the wire slipped off the posts but afterwards I looked at it and they were still wrapped tight  photo 20151229_140838_zpspnzykmqt.jpg

The larger blood drop is the entry wound and the smaller is the exit. The wire wasn't even pulled tight.

When my thumb is less numb I will try it again.

I feel pretty stupid.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/30/15 6:25 a.m.

I usually spend ~ 25% of my day safety wiring stuff at work ... if I didn't do that to myself at least 3 times a week, I knew I had been doing testing that week instead of building

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iFrx7SMktyGDLdI57LUMhtfzLVR0gx2k91avBJBIYmnw7ZnfGy2ihOlMmQ88TtrH