P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/18/08 8:27 p.m.

The insurance adjuster looked at it today and did some door jamb measurements, etc and everything looked nice and square! They are not going to total it and they are going to pay to have it repaired correctly. The front fender is bent, which is what made the lower rocker look "waved". It's straight from the fender back. He even got the door to open (window still works, but it only goes down 3" before hitting the steel!). Everything seems to drive OK except maybe an alignment (but in all honestly it wasn't great to start). Anyways, they are paying for a new door with all of the trimmings (trim, seals, mirror, handle, etc), front fender, door hinges, quarter panel work, and some paintwork. Just under $1300 total, and with my $100 deductible I'll get $1200. I can submit a claim adjustment if they find anything else later on.

The adjuster did comment on how nice the car was and how well taken care of it looked. He told me that he estimated it's value at around $5000 so we were nowhere near totaling it out.

I think I'm going to do all of the body and repair work myself and use the money to paint the whole car. I will obviously need to buy some parts as well, but I think I can budget everything in and maybe a little extra from me and just get my color change done and out of the way.

woohoo

It's a good day!

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/18/08 8:38 p.m.

sweet!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
8/18/08 8:52 p.m.

Good to hear. My last experience with the insurance company ended up with them totalling out my AE86 SR5 coupe and trying to tell me that it was only worth $800, becuase that's what a same year, similar mileage Corolla LE was going for. Took 2 hours before they finally admitted that, yes, there is a difference between a FWD sedan and a RWD Coupe, and someone might actually want to pay more for the latter!

They still totaled the car, though... bastards.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
8/19/08 6:52 a.m.

Oh thank heavens... I almost cried when I read about the H&R

Me, I'd let a good shop do the work... no offense but if it gets tight you're going to cut corners to make sure you "save" enough for the paintjob... your car deserves to be better than it started when the work is done... just IMHO

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
8/19/08 8:38 a.m.

Awesome!!!

P71
8/19/08 7:22 p.m.

I did bodywork for awhile, I think I can do it OK. I'm just going to replace the door and fender, so it's mostly going to be sanding and whatnot.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
8/19/08 7:46 p.m.

Let me know if you need parts bro

P71
8/19/08 8:17 p.m.

I need a ton of parts! I posted a WTB List in the GRM Classifieds.

jwesleyc3
jwesleyc3 None
8/19/08 9:38 p.m.

I just scrapped the other FB that I had. Good luck on the repairs man.

racer_ace
racer_ace New Reader
8/19/08 11:06 p.m.

P71,

Glad to hear that your RX-7 will be OK! Thank you for your responses to my FC questions.

-Ray

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
USrexnrBEsWg5eRUQMs5M4YgLafJJ85SRFYFkcepNsXNBfbwy7KdPKN6uU9ZwqGI