1 2 3
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
3/24/15 4:01 p.m.

When VW brought a TDI Jetta (Common Rail) back to the States in '09, after a short couple year hiatus, we were in the market, it was Spring, and fuel prices were going up. I called every dealer within reasonable driving distance. I had an idea of what I was willing to pay, and a price range after talking to a few other dealerships. However, a salesman in Springfield, MO literally laughed at me on the phone when I told him what I was willing to pay, he then stated that they were selling them $1500 above MSRP, and I'd not find one cheaper.

I bought the car, at a reasonable price, well below MSRP, and a little below invoice, with bluetooth added at no cost, from a dealer in North Little Rock.

I sent the Springfield dealer a not so nice email, after we bought our car.

D2W
D2W New Reader
3/24/15 4:49 p.m.

I'll pay what I think its worth. If I see MVA on a car I know if I'm patient, (it coincides with being cheap), somebody will be willing to sell it to me without the MVA.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/24/15 4:49 p.m.

Yes I would on a special car, but it would of course depend on the amount.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
3/24/15 6:09 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote: When the Porsche 944 first showed up at my local dealer they tacked on $3K. They wouldn't budge so I walked away. It didn't take long for the MVA to be removed.

I knew a guy when 944's first came out that paid $1000 just to buy his way up the waiting list to pay a $5k MVA to get one. Crazy.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/24/15 6:51 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
lrrs wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to kazoospec: It couldn't be too much less if you offered MSRP. There's only $545 markup in a fit. If they sold it for cost, it was $545 less than you offered.
Might be 545 over inVoice but then There is the hold back, bet it's another 800-1300 maybe more. The HB on my neon in 98 was 1150.
Nope. Holdback on a Fit is .9% of MSRP without freight. MSRP on an EX is $19,180. Invoice on that car is $18,687 and Holdback is $165.25. If they give you all of the holdback money, it's $658 off of MSRP. That's for an EX Automatic. A Manual LX is $434 markup and $155 H/B for a Total of $589. I didn't actually look the other day, so I was off $44, my bad.

How do they afford to keep them on the lot at that cost? Does the factory finance them for cars on the lot at a stupid low rate? I can't quite figure out why they even bother selling them at that cost.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/24/15 9:11 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce: Also they expect to make money in the finance department where they will also expect to sell them an extended warranty and why they want to move tons of units.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GXi56MvgvyFbJzMpw8FxBpm62EKPhjbfiUjBRORQXKiB5X3yWsl2frRjVIOtfbTy