Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/30/24 12:28 p.m.
feature_image

Want an ND Miata with a little extra power? How do two extra cylinders sound?

Similar to our own V6-powered Miata, this ND is powered by a 3.6-liter LFX V6. The swap was completed by V8R Performance, the same people who also helped swap the LFX into our V6-powered Miata.

Per the seller, the engine has 48,000 miles …

Read the rest of the story

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/30/24 12:48 p.m.

Even has working air conditioning.  Considering new ND's from the dealership are now pushing $40k fully optioned, this strikes me as an absolute steal.  I'm not sure how an extra 200lb on the nose would affect handling though.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/30/24 12:58 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

I doubt it's all over the nose. There is additional weight with the diff and transmission. I never noticed the additional weight in my LS3 NC. I doubt you would ever notice it in this. It looks like a quality build overall and doesn't look like they cut corners. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/30/24 1:02 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

Considering new ND's from the dealership are now pushing $40k fully optioned, this strikes me as an absolute steal.  

Exactly the conclusion I came to after a quick internet search of NDs for sale, as I first thought that $39,500 was a lot for the car.

RedReplicant
RedReplicant New Reader
1/30/24 1:05 p.m.

Not intending this to be negative in any way - I'm really curious what corner weights are like on this car.

Super cool swap.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/24 1:06 p.m.

i just want to know if it's got cams in it.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/30/24 1:21 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

They call out Mace Cams in the build sheet 

It's probably these:

Mace Cams

Looking at the build, it should be 300+ WHP build with all they added. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/30/24 1:34 p.m.

Sell the 944 Turbo and BRZ, new daily.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/24 1:58 p.m.

If I could register this in Ca I'd be all over it.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
1/30/24 2:32 p.m.

I have to wonder if my 6'2" old fart body would fit in this.......

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/30/24 3:16 p.m.

That really does feel like a damn good deal!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/24 3:37 p.m.

There's a guy with a recent Camaro V6 swapped into an NB Miata (not sure if it's the LFX or the later model) I autocross against and it is an absolute weapon...now consider than an NB has more weight and less frame stiffness than an ND.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
1/30/24 3:44 p.m.

Sweet little ride!  I love well done engine swaps--it's nourishment to the soul of a car guy.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/24 4:54 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

i was attempting to be funny, riffing off what the dude said at the end of the video.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/24 12:54 a.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

Even has working air conditioning.  Considering new ND's from the dealership are now pushing $40k fully optioned, this strikes me as an absolute steal.  I'm not sure how an extra 200lb on the nose would affect handling though.

This is built off the Sport spec, which is a $29k car. All of the stuff you get for the extra $10k for a fully pimped out version is stuff that isn't addressed in an engine swap, such as navigation and an upgraded stereo and leather seats and a retractable hardtop and CarPlay/Android Auto :)

200 lbs on the nose shouldn't hurt the handling too badly if it's well set up. The Fiata has an extra 100 lbs on the nose over the equivalent Miata, and nobody ever complained about the weight on the nose of our LS cars.

I would definitely add a diff cooler, as that little factory unit tends to run pretty hot. Looks like the OS Giken cover might actually have the ports for one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/31/24 1:44 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Three-quarter race cam, I hear. 

Parker with too many Projects
Parker with too many Projects Dork
2/1/24 12:53 p.m.

These LFX engines are pretty neat! The Titanium rods from an ATS-V bolt right in for a little parts-bin fun, and from what I hear the engines will spin to 8k with cams/springs/rod bolts.  All from a similar mass to a K-series.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/1/24 2:11 p.m.
Parker with too many Projects said:

These LFX engines are pretty neat! The Titanium rods from an ATS-V bolt right in for a little parts-bin fun, and from what I hear the engines will spin to 8k with cams/springs/rod bolts.  All from a similar mass to a K-series.

That's awesome to know. At a quick glance, it seems like the various LFX engines were rated 301 to 321 hp from the factory at ~6800 rpm. Spinning it up another 1000 rpm would be awesome!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
su1dPW4x3d5MKRgfOtLvbTayJXAI8Tpw8Ge9Z4y6A6dvDY8hJJCUncu58oAr8ZO2