racerfink
racerfink UberDork
10/11/24 3:14 p.m.

If they have the paperwork to prove the provenance, this would make a fun Historic racer.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1747559/1982-chevrolet-camaro-for-sale-in-morgantown-pennsylvania-19543

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/12/24 9:13 p.m.

Would like to see if they have the original log book...

I used to love watching the SSGT races back in the day, especially the Camaros and Mustangs coming through NHMS turn 3 with their left front brakes on fire about 3/4 of the way through the race...

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
10/12/24 9:50 p.m.

The pictures do show letters from Guildstrand Engineering, and the stamp on the roll cage, so it should be the right car

It's been driven by some big names, namely Bertil Roos, a Formula 1 driver.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/13/24 6:11 p.m.

Yes to seeing more former Showroom Stock cars in historic/vintage racing. As other noted, good provenance, too. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/14/24 8:59 a.m.

As someone born too late to experience Showroom Stock racing, I hope it's as awesome as I think it is.

David S. Wallens
10/14/24 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

It really was cool: very tight racing–definitely didn’t want to miss those races at the Runoffs–plus all the day’s coolest cars and top drivers. 

And this all went down with bolt-in cages, stock exhausts and skinny tires. (Oh, and no cheating, either.)

David S. Wallens
10/14/24 9:56 a.m.

And some related rating from a past issue: Looking for an inexpensive track machine? Why not a Rad-era race car?

The TL;DR: Why not race something from the ’80s like SCCA Showroom Stock, IMSA Firehawk, etc.?

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/14/24 11:24 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Yes to seeing more former Showroom Stock cars in historic/vintage racing. As other noted, good provenance, too. 

I would love to compete in my old Showroom Stock C Miata. I used to drive it to the track, race it and then drive home. The car had a couple of podiums at the RunOffs before I bought it.

You had to drive like an animal in those cars......so much fun.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/14/24 11:40 a.m.

This might be a stupid question, but does HSR or SVRA or some other vintage racing series have a class for Showroom Stock?

I'd be interested in watching.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/14/24 12:44 p.m.

I'm not in the market but that seems like a fair price for what you'd get.

David S. Wallens
10/14/24 1:36 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

This might be a stupid question, but does HSR or SVRA or some other vintage racing series have a class for Showroom Stock?

I'd be interested in watching.

If not a specific class they do have places for them to run–so, for HSR, likely Group 2, 3 or 5.

More info here: 2024 HSR Street Stock Category Rules & Classes

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
10/15/24 8:34 a.m.

My 2nd and 3rd cars were both '84 Camaro sport coupes.  This looks like fun, assuming the clock still works?  (And they said '82 was the only year for a black interior?  I could swear my red Camaro had a black interior.  Maybe it was grey?)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/15/24 9:17 a.m.

Part of the irony here is today's rarity of these cars is partly influenced by the fact that they were all mercilessly beaten to a pulp when they were racing. I feel like no other era of race car was considered more disposable in pursuit of trophies than these things. 

I think we're also going to see a huge value bump in the not too distant future in the final era of pre-homologation showroom stockers. There were some seriously cool cars in thse fields. Their greatest enemy will be their complexity I think. They were built to a ruleset, but not a set standard, so there's a lot more variation in parts, technology and methods than you see with the homologated cars. I think the key to smart shopping there will be to buy a car where the shop that built it still exists.

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/15/24 12:10 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

... and some of them migrated to today's American Sedan class, which was born because racing a third-gen on stock brakes, suspension, and interior with a bolt-in cage was just nuts (but in the most entertaining way).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BSctFqpywFPb6qd133aRe7t6WGMPIZpWQWGDmIMekwkxTqwnI9IB5OIF8JgwPgtz