1 2 3
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/13/08 8:53 a.m.
walterj wrote: All anyone remembers is BMWNA sucked hard. Nissan should learn from that and tolerate a little a$$hattery for the greater good.

they have a black box in the gtr.. the car was supposedly abused.. and is the ONLY one in the US to have this happen to it.

he also failed to follow the warnings in his owners manual and the paper he signed on pickup that stated no vdc off or warranty poof.

mtn
mtn Dork
10/13/08 8:59 a.m.

You can go marry this supermodel. Smokin' hot. But if you have sex with her, she gets fat and ugly.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/13/08 9:57 a.m.
mtn wrote: You can go marry this supermodel. Smokin' hot. But if you have sex with her, she gets fat and ugly.

Incorrect. You can go marry this supermodel. Smokin' hot. But if you abuse her, she gets up and leaves you. And takes a bunch of your money with her.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
10/13/08 9:57 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
walterj wrote: All anyone remembers is BMWNA sucked hard. Nissan should learn from that and tolerate a little a$$hattery for the greater good.
they have a black box in the gtr.. the car was supposedly abused.. and is the ONLY one in the US to have this happen to it. he also failed to follow the warnings in his owners manual and the paper he signed on pickup that stated no vdc off or warranty poof.

I am not saying that they aren't within their rights to do it... just that it is a stupid move on their part when they are trying to garner some cred as a supercar builder. So he was abusing the car... settle it quietly with an agreement to spread the love... (and not do that again stupid!).

You don't see Porsche out there going "Waaaaaaa! you abused our tender 997 Cup car" and guess how many of those will show up at the track wearing meatballs while under warranty...

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/13/08 10:02 a.m.

Heh. I wonder when someone is going to create a bit of software that wipes out all entries into the Launch Control memory. The dealer looks at a car with a broken tranny (from 80 launch control launches) and sees, much to his dismay, 0.

Oh, and it can increase HP too if you want. Sure. Why not?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/13/08 10:02 a.m.

The only gotcha to me on this is that Nissan advertises a certain level of performance. They use that to add value to the equation, so that people will buy the car. Then they cancel the warranty for people who try to achieve the performance that they bought. They are charging $80K for a car that does 0-60 in less than 4 seonds. The only way to do that is with the launch control. If they don't want people using launch control, then they need to delete the button and advertise the 4.2 0-60 that it achieves without it.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/13/08 10:08 a.m.

It's still a bangin' performer without launch control, right? Use your own discression. It's there if you want it - use it! But prepare to face the consequences. It probably won't hurt if it you do it a couple of dozen times.

Otherwise, just sit back and realize that you were probably better off buying a Corvette Z06.

SUPER-EDIT: We should be thankful to Nissan that we have it at all. America has been waiting for this car for years and it's finally here! (And not an Infinity for some reason!)

walterj
walterj HalfDork
10/13/08 11:22 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote: SUPER-EDIT: We should be thankful to Nissan that we have it at all. America has been waiting for this car for years and it's finally here! (And not an Infinity for some reason!)

I'm not really sure about that... I know I didn't ask for a $90k, 2 ton, CPU controlled land barge that drives itself really fast (but not fast enough to outrun "Ugly").

I asked for an Exige S.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
10/13/08 11:26 a.m.

Its to bonkers to be a infinity. If it were sold as one they would have never easter egged a LC...........

I just solved it. They will stop making them as a Nissan, to much bad press, throw it out as a Inifinity with no LC, VDC or whatever venerial disease always engaged*, color the dials, and let it ride!

Any Nissan I would have ever thought about getting makes me think, no not so much...... I just think its a bad PR issue. If I cannot buy a car and use what equipment is equipped what is the point? If bought as a race car, so be it, its going to be voided no matter what. If I bought a car to drive whenever, on the street, play with it, its stupid. That would kill my handing over 80K+ right there, just turn around and walk out.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
10/13/08 11:57 a.m.
walterj wrote:
confuZion3 wrote: SUPER-EDIT: We should be thankful to Nissan that we have it at all. America has been waiting for this car for years and it's finally here! (And not an Infinity for some reason!)
I'm not really sure about that... I know I didn't ask for a $90k, 2 ton, CPU controlled land barge that drives itself really fast (but not fast enough to outrun "Ugly"). I asked for an Exige S.

Exactly, like Jay Leno said on his 10 minute online review vid, the car lacks soul, just like most Japanese "supercars." He said it felt like he was merely a passenger instead of the driver.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
10/13/08 11:58 a.m.
ignorant wrote: ...and is the ONLY one in the US to have this happen to it.

Edmunds.com demo car had the transaxle replaced (under warranty) because it was leaking fluid. They found the leak when the dropped the transaxle to replace the defective gas tank. Oh, they also had to replace the entire evaporative emissions system.

The car spent several weeks in the service bay due to these problems. In <6000 miles of driving.

Sounds like Nissan's QA team was asleep on the job.

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
10/13/08 1:01 p.m.
ignorant wrote: zomg u meanz thatz if Iz launch mi awd carz hardz... .. it will ezplodez....!!!1!!1111!1!!1!!11 same thing that happend to the wrx. some nerds launch an awd car dragster style and the trans explodes.. ohh noez.. It's a rally car. yeah the wrx trans is not the strongest.. its a freaking rally car.

FUNNY you should think that...

Street Subarus are not rally cars. They're the same decaying matter as every other car. Subaru was, however, the first team to run an assisted shift transmission in Group A, because they were having so many gearbox problems.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/13/08 1:07 p.m.
noisycricket wrote:
ignorant wrote: zomg u meanz thatz if Iz launch mi awd carz hardz... .. it will ezplodez....!!!1!!1111!1!!1!!11 same thing that happend to the wrx. some nerds launch an awd car dragster style and the trans explodes.. ohh noez.. It's a rally car. yeah the wrx trans is not the strongest.. its a freaking rally car.
FUNNY you should think that... Street Subarus are not rally cars.

o rly?

how many transmission mods are on a PGT Subaru wrx? tell me please.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/13/08 1:24 p.m.
Thinkkker wrote: Any Nissan I would have ever thought about getting makes me think, no not so much...... I just think its a bad PR issue. If I cannot buy a car and use what equipment is equipped what is the point? If bought as a race car, so be it, its going to be voided no matter what. If I bought a car to drive whenever, on the street, play with it, its stupid. That would kill my handing over 80K+ right there, just turn around and walk out.

I think having it explained this way (that 80K figure is important) changed my opinion a bit. Perhaps there should have been a limited number of times that you could do it before it would warn you about voiding your warranty. But that number definitely should have been greater than zero. Or they shouldn't have bothered. Why give us equipment and then tell us: "Don't touch the little red button".

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/08 1:30 p.m.

I think that the GTR is a cool car.....but I bet a Corvette wouldn't have broken under similar circumstances, and I bet Chebby doesn't make Corvette buyers sign a form regarding the 'void your warranty' switch.

It's a classic delimma. You can't build/advertise an 'everyday' supercar and expect it to be driven like an Altima. You should engineer in some extra resiliency to cope with hamfisted rich guys.

I'm sure the guy was driving like a tard, but Nissan should have eaten the repair. Not because the iditot deserves a break, but because it is a relatively cheap price to perpetuate the hype of their halo car, which will never make them money anyway.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/08 1:45 p.m.
walterj wrote:
I'm not really sure about that... I know I didn't ask for a $90k, 2 ton, CPU controlled land barge that drives itself really fast (but not fast enough to outrun "Ugly"). I asked for an Exige S.

Damn right! The Exige S may be a little bad on gas (somehow), but it's better than a GTR and you'll save plenty of gas money in the price difference.

The "black box" could probably only be wiped with some soldering, if they designed it correctly. If they're smart it should be a logic board with some flash memory, and the ECU sends signals to it, and the logic board only allows the counters stored in the flash memory to be incremented in one direction. Therefore you can only reset the counters by soldering in and interfacing directly with the flash memory chips. If they're really smart the memory will be onboard the processor and a hash of the black box data would be stored somewhere else so the car can know if it's been tampered with. If they're stupid it's a little SD card that plugs into a connector from the ECU and stores periodically updated information based on what's currently stored there.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
10/13/08 1:52 p.m.

It seems to me that this is bad engineering. You design a super fast supercar but don't account for it being driven like a supercar. The car already weights a lot why not just add a few pounds to reinforce the transmission? And the way the forum sounds that guy wasn't the only one with transmission problems.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/08 2:02 p.m.

It didn't fail being driven like a supercar, it failed being driven like a drag car.

You stomp launch a WRX STi or MOST AWD street cars you will break the transmissions (Lamborghini, Audi, you name it) You run it up to 1XXmph on the Autobahn or Nurburgring and it will behave like a supercar.

sachilles
sachilles New Reader
10/13/08 2:04 p.m.

I think some people are missing a small but important point. You can use launch control and not void the warranty. You must do the launch control with the VDC on. Yes the VDC is a nanny. I'm sure it is designed to cushion the tranny on launch....but still give you a better launch than if no launch control was offered. Their solution will be to program it so launch control will only be enabled with VDC on, or remove launch control from the features offered. Far cheaper to alter the electronics than it is to redesign a transmission. Now launching with VDC engaged....if the vdc is any good, there will be no wheel spin, meaning a quicker launch...correct? So launching without VDC amounts to trying to impress someone with an AWD burnout. The driveline shock when the wheel loses grip, then suddenly regains it must be immense. One might think they'd use some sort of driveline fuse, to be the week point.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/08 2:59 p.m.

This thread makes me ponder whether it is more fun to have a <150hp car that is nearly indestructible or a 400hp car with a glass jaw?

Power is nice...but I want something that I can hoon around in without constantly worrying about breaking.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/13/08 3:13 p.m.

$80k will buy a whole lot of really nice Miatas!

Heck for $80k I could have: LS1 Miata, Another Miata, M5 (for when I need to impress friends and family), some rally-x hoon mobile, a locost, and a hearse (yeah, I want one). And then some money left over to do events.

ww
ww Dork
10/13/08 3:25 p.m.

Bad PR. As has been mentioned, they should have just eaten the cost to maintain the "mystery". If Nissan wants to break into the "super car" market in the US, they need to start acting like a super car manufacturer in the US. Interestingly enough, Nissan has shut down production of the GT-R with no word on when or if it will restart. I suspect the economic issues are affecting the size of their target market.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
10/13/08 5:09 p.m.

How about another way to describe this.

You go looking for a family car. Something everyone can get into all at once. There is a super nice $)%($@ car over here. Fits everything perfectly, but you cannot open both rear doors at the same time. If you do, the warranty is voided, because the car could break in half. Would you still buy this super nice, fits all the bills better than everything else vehicle?

Thats just my take. If you can live with it, great, if not, then pass on. I for one could not take that, dont touch this button bs.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
10/13/08 5:28 p.m.

Will next years modle have a button that says do not push : will void warranty

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/13/08 5:56 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: I think that the GTR is a cool car.....but I bet a Corvette wouldn't have broken under similar circumstances...

I wouldn't be to sure about that. When the C6s came out, I had two of them barf motors in front of me on straights for no apparent reason (other than full throttle acceleration).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kzgKgI204BxypXjO7ewvbXDomSD6s3kYxUyDhRQcGzGb0mZcxujikFCYxbIb6gOz