PorschesOnTheCheap
PorschesOnTheCheap New Reader
1/18/09 7:18 a.m.

Just a quick post before I impulse-buy yet another stupid car...

A friend of mine has a rust-free but non-running 1982 Toyota Supra that I can buy for next to nothing. I've always been more of a German car guy and I don't know much about Toyotas.

I'm liking the older RWD Japanese stuff more and more, and I like that it's got a straight-6 and RWD. What do you guys think?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/18/09 7:45 a.m.

older supras> newer supras. Plenty of parts available, and newer straight sixes from Toyota are plentiful and not that expensive (thanks Lexus IS models!). Personally I think Toyota makes well thought out, long lasting stuff. I think suspension stuff may be a hassle to find however. Im not a Supra expert though. This is just what I learned in my Toyota-modding days (corollas mostly). Should make a good project. Keep us posted. 80s japanese cars have some of the coolest styling IMHO.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/09 7:45 a.m.

If you have the skills to repair it and the place to store it I'd say go for it. Toyota is certainly not making any more of them, and they're really quite charming, in a Transformers kind of way.

Can you answer this question: "Why wouldn't you buy it?"

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
1/18/09 7:47 a.m.
PorschesOnTheCheap wrote: it's got a straight-6 and RWD.

That should do it. What's to wonder?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
1/18/09 8:14 a.m.

Is this the first one based on the Celica?

driver109x
driver109x Reader
1/18/09 10:58 a.m.

I almost bought one. I love the flares and rear spoiler/visor.

PorschesOnTheCheap
1/18/09 11:39 a.m.

Well, I've got the skills to repair it and the place to put it, but in response to ZooMiata's question,

ZOOMiata wrote: Can you answer this question: "Why wouldn't you buy it?"

The answer is: a yard full of old 924s, 944s, a brown 911 that's destroying the garage floor with oil leaks... and a wife that doesn't quite share my level of enthusiasm for parts cars.

Her problem wouldn't be with the Supra itself...just the inveitable bunch of parts cars I'll accumulate while I'm rebuilding it.

Beyond that, I wanted to make sure that old Supras aren't heavy, complicated and have no parts interchangablility/aftermarket support.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/09 12:47 p.m.
nd a wife that doesn't quite share my level of enthusiasm for parts cars.

Unless, of course, it's "her" car :)

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
1/18/09 3:26 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Is this the first one based on the Celica?

Second generation, but it was still before the Supra and Celica went their separate ways.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/19/09 12:44 a.m.

FWIW, they look amazing when lowered on some period-correct wheels.

This is a huge image, so here's the link: http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/2007-07/sfsupra.jpg

This one doesn't have "period correct" wheels, but it's still a nice example:

I dunno. I like 'em.

Luke
Luke Dork
1/19/09 1:50 a.m.
gamby wrote: FWIW, they look amazing when lowered on some period-correct wheels. This is a huge image, so here's the link: http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/2007-07/sfsupra.jpg

Hayashi street fins? I could be wrong, but they appear to be 13's.

Oh and I think you should definitely get the Supra. Slinky coupe body, pop-up headlights, '80s style in abundance...what more do you need in a car

Jay
Jay HalfDork
1/19/09 3:47 a.m.

It can't possibly be any more painful than a cheap Porsche. Do it.

J

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer New Reader
1/19/09 7:21 a.m.

Man, I lusted after those so much when I was in High school. Especially after my mom got a Cressida which had the same motor in it.

One of those would make a great retro engine swap candidate. Lots of great inline 6's would go right in there. You can get some really cool engines like the 1Jz basically a 2.5 liter version of the 2jz that didn't come to the U.S. would probably be my first choice. Want to spend more?, then go with a 2jz even a stock one will scream in this car because it is quite a bit lighter then the fat supra it came out of. Another plus, in 2012 the car will be 30 years old making it exempt of most emission regs, so making it totally street legal without a cat would be cake.

One of the toyota V8's would be pretty cool in there too.

Chris Rummel

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/19/09 9:10 a.m.

why doesn't it run? crank pulley strip the keyway or something?

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT New Reader
1/19/09 9:54 a.m.

Those Supras are super cool and are agreat 80s look. Go for it!

David

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
1/20/09 4:48 p.m.

It probably just needs a fuel pump or igniter to run. The aftermarket and replacement parts are not abundant but are out there with some digging. If you really like the car do it, if not move on, buy a Z, much better support on that side of the fence.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/20/09 5:15 p.m.

Get it. Ditch that motor (5mge or 5me) and put a 1uzfe in it.

You want speed? You got it!

PorschesOnTheCheap
1/20/09 6:52 p.m.

I'm convinced. The picture of that black Supra has convinced me...that car is COOL!

BTW: It doesn't run because it was badly overheated. Seems the previous owner didn't pull over while it was overheating because, and I quote, "it just wasn't convenient to stop"

I'm not even kidding. The guy drove it until it wouldn't run anymore. Now it cranks like it has no compression. So, clearly, I'm going to need a parts car...

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/21/09 11:17 a.m.

Sounds like it's time for a better motor!

7mgte is an easy swap, and it's a good motor to make VERY entertaining power with in a lighter car like that. And you can get them for peanuts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EQfvHqPQiG9uOUx590fdeEME8ByBqSvTvI3QYCuiVyiUU21d3sUETAZXvdToKgw5