1 2 3
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/15/15 6:50 p.m.

I've seen it. I've sat on it. I've talked financing. $5,499 is the real MSRP. The ergonomics are fantastic. Very narrow. Can't wait.

RC390

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
2/15/15 7:18 p.m.

Oh my....

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/15/15 7:22 p.m.

Time to go to my local KTM dealer

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
2/15/15 7:29 p.m.

After all this time I don't believe you.

In less then a few months you might be able to chose between a CBR300, Ninja 300, R3 and the RC390. Gas needs to go to 1$ a gallon to kill this off right quick.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/15/15 7:34 p.m.

The R3 is badass in it's own way. I just want this more. As a pilot, I've been taught never to fly the A model of anything. The 390 has been out in Europe for 2 years. I'd give the R3 just as long. Triumph might have a few 250s coming out as well. Exciting times.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
2/15/15 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

How tall are you?

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/15/15 8:00 p.m.

Now if only someone was making these in supermoto with modern EFI etc

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/15/15 8:02 p.m.

One of these (390 or R3) will likely end up in may garage after they are on the market a few years.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/15/15 8:03 p.m.

Nevermind that I have a propensity towards death doing much much safer activities than riding motorcycles.
Or that I might be too tall for such a small bike.
Or that I don't know how to ride one.
Or that it rains most of the year here.
Still want.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/15/15 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock:

72", flat foot

170lbs

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/15/15 8:36 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

They have a naked version, the 390 Duke.

carbon
carbon Dork
2/15/15 9:31 p.m.

That tail light assembly would look right at home on my tl-r with this tail and I would be able to get a sticker too! (not my bike, I wish it was!)

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
2/15/15 9:45 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: In reply to Nick_Comstock: 72", flat foot 170lbs

HMM, same height but I've got a medium sized dog in weight on you...I need to find one to sit on.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/15/15 11:03 p.m.

Schwiiiiing!!!

Finally making it to 'merica?

I'm still a disbeliever until I can find one where I can sit on an actual bike, but once I do it may well do sudden damage to my bank account... I don't think I can wait for a few years after they are available here to overpay for a rare used bike (because I also don't think it will sell very well and thus will be hard to find on the used market). Guess the latest addition to my garage may not be getting many upgrades in the next couple of years!

Just checked and the nearest KTM street dealer is 130 miles away on the far side of a major metro area. Second closest is 140 miles away, but probably less travel time (except at 2 am) due to lack of major metro area to traverse. Definitely will require phone calls to ensure availability of stock and test ride prior to checking out.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
2/16/15 9:18 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: One of these (390 or R3) will likely end up in may garage after they are on the market a few years.

They are so cheap and both will hold their value at least some what I think a non GRM new purchase could be justified.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
2/16/15 9:22 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
singleslammer wrote: One of these (390 or R3) will likely end up in may garage after they are on the market a few years.
They are so cheap and both will hold their value at least some what I think a non GRM new purchase could be justified.

Agree. KTM's seem to hold their value here. Due to niche market?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/16/15 9:40 a.m.

Did you see the naked 390 Duke there too? Same price?

Been watching for this thing. Their site still doesn't have either bike on it.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/16/15 9:42 a.m.

That is a good point. I will still wait until they have been out a few years. I think one of these for under 5k would be interesting. I might lean towards the singles. Not sure I can stand an inline 2 for long.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/16/15 10:05 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9e2bYbodu8&feature=youtu.be

No R3, but a good comparison of the others (plus the CBR500) in the category

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/16/15 10:10 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: That is a good point. I will still wait until they have been out a few years. I think one of these for under 5k would be interesting. I might lean towards the singles. Not sure I can stand an inline 2 for long.

The 2pots are alright with a good exhaust(like a leo/arrow/akra with a db killer).....just don't put a growler style on them like the 250r sitting here currently. If these end up selling like most of the other class bikes, it'll have to drop from msrp to around $4000 to move any of them, otherwise they'll be sitting for a year or so before purchase. On that note, doesn't the euro version have twin brakes up front?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/16/15 10:41 a.m.

This thing has been out for 2 years... in Europe. If there were issues, we probably would have heard by now.

The Duke is $4,999.

Under $4,000 isn't going to happen. Look at the prices of the CBR and Ninja with ABS. The RC has ABS, standard. The R3 MSRP lists at $5,200 with no ABS.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
2/16/15 11:06 a.m.

From what I've heard theses are made in a factory in India but with strict oversight of real KTM people to make sure the quality is up to KTM standards. I've not heard anything bad yet about them but maybe taking a trip down to Cliff's Cycle myself to check one out soon.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/16/15 11:41 a.m.

I just watched that video above and it made the KTM seem like the 3rd best option from that list for a mid-size road bike. The CBR is MSRP of $6.3k though... big jump from $5k.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/16/15 11:59 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: This thing has been out for 2 years... in Europe. If there were issues, we probably would have heard by now. The Duke is $4,999. Under $4,000 isn't going to happen. Look at the prices of the CBR and Ninja with ABS. The RC has ABS, standard. The R3 MSRP lists at $5,200 with no ABS.

And look at how many are sitting on the dealer showroom multiple years at that price. The local dealer still has a '12 Repsol 250r sitting there.....$4100 msrp and I nearly rode it home for $2k.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/16/15 12:01 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I just watched that video above and it made the KTM seem like the 3rd best option from that list for a mid-size road bike. The CBR is MSRP of $6.3k though... big jump from $5k.

Its actually a lowpower sport bike, which none of the others really are. I'm surprised it has E36 M3ty brakes though.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TLHtFkKJduZxtS62C8Y4GFJFbYuNqvpUONreOQvH43InuIaqleY4Fo3bmNiRn3Q2