1 2
afattitude
afattitude
11/25/09 9:16 a.m.

I am looking for a secondary car so I can do some work on my trans am and not have to do it all in a weekend. I would like to have fun in this car with a little bit of autoxing. I want to be light and quick of course. I have about a 7000 dollar budget to work with. But this car has to be four seats so i can drive the kids around. SO....It will be a daily driver and occasionally will be taken to the track. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/25/09 9:20 a.m.

WRX.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/09 9:21 a.m.

e30 BMW. Coupe or 4 door
e36 BMW. Coupe or 4 door

afattitude
afattitude New Reader
11/25/09 9:28 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: WRX.

I can't really find any WRXs for under 7 they all seem to be around 8-10. And 7 was really the top of my budget.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
11/25/09 9:38 a.m.

E30. find a perfect one that is already modified for 7k.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/25/09 9:45 a.m.

Do you want to be competitive?

MINI
Integra R
Mustang/Camarobird
Any BMW (not including Z's)
Mazdaspeed3
Cobalt SS, although they won't be cheap enough yet
Honduh Civic

afattitude
afattitude New Reader
11/25/09 9:53 a.m.
mtn wrote: Do you want to be competitive? MINI Integra R Mustang/Camarobird Any BMW (not including Z's) Mazdaspeed3 Cobalt SS, although they won't be cheap enough yet Honduh Civic

I would like to be competitive if I could for 7K.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/25/09 9:56 a.m.
afattitude wrote:
mtn wrote: Do you want to be competitive? MINI Integra R Mustang/Camarobird Any BMW (not including Z's) Mazdaspeed3 Cobalt SS, although they won't be cheap enough yet Honduh Civic
I would like to be competitive if I could for 7K.

Well, STS civic could be locally competitive (i.e. No Motons) for around $7k, but it'd also be a nightmare DD. D-stock ITR sounds like a good idea!

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/25/09 10:05 a.m.

BMW E36. 325is. Very good in STX. And you could get the 4 door.

EricM
EricM Dork
11/25/09 10:50 a.m.

Porsche 928, or 944. The back seats are nearly usable.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
11/25/09 11:10 a.m.

You cant dd a ITR, or well, you can until the first time you leave it parked somewhere other than your garage, then you will never see it again.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/25/09 11:32 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: You cant dd a ITR, or well, you can until the first time you leave it parked somewhere other than your garage, then you will never see it again.

Meh. I often wonder what lenghts people go through to avoid this scenario. Personally, I think I'd have a non-centrally located series of kill switches, "lojack" or whatever, etc., and I ABSOLUTELY wouldn't own one if I didn't have a garage.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/09 1:37 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Travis_K wrote: You cant dd a ITR, or well, you can until the first time you leave it parked somewhere other than your garage, then you will never see it again.
Meh. I often wonder what lenghts people go through to avoid this scenario. Personally, I think I'd have a non-centrally located series of kill switches, "lojack" or whatever, etc., and I ABSOLUTELY wouldn't own one if I didn't have a garage.

Leave a big angry dog in it.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
11/25/09 2:06 p.m.

STX E36 FTW. It's almost like you designed the question around this answer.

Matt B
Matt B New Reader
11/25/09 2:12 p.m.

I also vote E36, even without super-competitive (read:harsh) STX spring rates it would be a fun car on track and off. Plenty to choose from as well.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/09 2:36 p.m.

And if you want even more room: Jetta Wagon

Ltdan12a
Ltdan12a
11/25/09 3:00 p.m.

Integra GSR four door!!!

nderwater
nderwater Reader
11/25/09 3:41 p.m.

M3. I picked up my E36 M3 for about $7K a year and a half ago - lately I've seen nicer examples going for less. Sedan or coupe, they're a natural autocross and track car which also doubles as a fun and practical daily driver.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
11/25/09 4:52 p.m.

^ What he said. I picked up a salvage title M3 sedan for ~$5k w 87k on it. I cleaned it, did a little maintenance (cooling system/control arms) and I've since put 20k trouble free miles on it over the past 6 months, and LOVE it. Avg mpg: 25.7 Reasonably comfortable, handles very well, and has "enough" engine. Great cars if you're a DIY'er. E30's are fantastic, but it's hard to find good examples. I'd look at GS-R integra's too, and you might find a 4dr if you look hard enough.

WRX's haven't become that cheap here yet, but I do really like them...

Would you consider something older? I've been looking hard at BMW 2002's. Maybe not "competitive", but.... :)

Nathan

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
11/25/09 5:03 p.m.

an Rx8 might fit the bill.

How important is gas milage to you?

Do you know what class you want to run in?

Do you run SCCA events or NASA events ? (they class differently)

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/26/09 10:21 a.m.

Two miata's connected with a tow rope?

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
11/27/09 6:20 a.m.
nderwater wrote: M3. I picked up my E36 M3 for about $7K a year and a half ago - lately I've seen nicer examples going for less. Sedan or coupe, they're a natural autocross and track car which also doubles as a fun and practical daily driver.

Not arguing with you but curious - what SCCA class can a daily driver e36 M3 be competitive in?

I agree that the non-M e36 has a chance in STX.

The M3 would be either CS or STU. I'm assuming a BSP car wouldn't be daily driver friendly.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
11/27/09 7:58 a.m.

Locally, I'd argue an M3 "could be" competitive in either STU or CS, but I'm not sure it's the safest bet nationally. Of course, it's also very nice to drive the other 360 days of the year.

Will
Will Reader
11/27/09 9:31 a.m.

Focus SVT--should be good in HS this year I should think.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
11/27/09 12:02 p.m.

I think you need to look harder for a wrx. Finding several around here around $6k.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UiEBNyYLERCI9rxvSSfYUnzmAax60mIKBv4z8ljCyDeIwz7GWPlO3jM3kAQxgqAn