goldenyear
goldenyear New Reader
7/7/24 12:03 p.m.

Hello everyone,

I recently came across a 1955 Chevrolet 3100 pickup truck (2nd series). I'm quite interested in the truck but understand it would likely need some restoration work.

Could anyone with experience in classic car restorations provide insight into what the restoration costs might entail for a vehicle like this? It appears to be in decent condition based on the photos, but it's hard to gauge the full extent of work needed without a closer inspection.

Any advice or estimates would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

goldenyear
goldenyear New Reader
7/12/24 7:26 a.m.

up

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/24 8:20 a.m.

Photos?   With out actually looking at it and driving it there is no telling what needs repair.  

If you had more specific questions I am sure others could help. Or I am sure there is someone that knows these trucks and maybe could tell you what to look for when purchasing. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/12/24 9:01 a.m.

It's a wide open question...to what level of restoration do you want to take it?  Is it work you would do yourself, or would you need to hire it out?  The cost could be anywhere from $1 to $100,000.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
7/12/24 9:24 a.m.

I'll second the "it depends". 

Most restoration shops that I know of don't do quotes, it's time+materials. And at ~$100/hr, it's going to add up really fast. Something as "simple" as replacing the floor pan could be close to $5000. I would expect a "restoration" to be at or over 6 figures.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
7/12/24 10:46 a.m.

Hot rod mathematics are going to be at play here:

Define a budget; double it, add 10% and you'll be 1/2 way done with the project.  

restoration is always more intensive (expensive, more labor intensive, etc.) than you anticipate.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/12/24 1:01 p.m.

My firsthand experience with a certain 1966 Chevy II drives home the point that for most people, the best way to acquire a classic is to go to one of those famous auctions and buy one in the condition you want.  The downside is that you have to cough up the money all at once, versus coughing it up in smaller chunks over a period of time.    Most of the cars I see sold at auction sell for a fraction of the total cost to restore.

That doesn't keep people from building their own, but it's almost always a labor of love.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/24 11:21 p.m.
ClearWaterMS said:

Hot rod mathematics are going to be at play here:

Define a budget; double it, add 10% and you'll be 1/2 way done with the project.  

restoration is always more intensive (expensive, more labor intensive, etc.) than you anticipate.  

Came here to say a similar thing, but I say make a budget and then triple it for all the stuff you'll find along the way.  You think you might need to replace that rusty belhousing bolt for $1, then it snaps off and you're looking at $350 of machine work or $250 for a good block plus all the parts to build it.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/13/24 7:49 a.m.

If you have to pay someone to restore it for you, it's cheaper BY FAR to buy one already done. A proper paint job alone (no body work) is $6000-$8000 and up.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/13/24 8:37 a.m.

I think this is a classic case of "if you have to ask...you can't afford it."

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
7/14/24 10:55 a.m.

Depends entirely on how much work would be done, and how much would be done by a shop. Current shop rates are easily $120-150/hr, so it can actually save money to buy a more expensive example in decent condition vs a cheap example that needs tons of shop hours to get right.

If you're starting with a decent truck, a basic cruiser could probably be done without spending a fortune. If you're wanting concours perfect factory restoration, or a cutting edge pro touring build you're going to have six figures into it with a shop build. If you've got space, time and DIY skills, then the 6 figure budget can probably be cut down quite a bit, but it's all a trade off.

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
7/14/24 12:33 p.m.
ddavidv said:

If you have to pay someone to restore it for you, it's cheaper BY FAR to buy one already done. A proper paint job alone (no body work) is $6000-$8000 and up.

Hate to say it but, that won't even cover the costs of the liquids on the car if using Glasurit or Sikkens paints.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/15/24 12:37 p.m.

This might be sacrilege to some, but this truck looks like a great rat rod truck candidate. Preserve that patina, fix whatever needs to be fixed mechanically (although it seems much of that has been done) and enjoy as a driver.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
7/15/24 12:45 p.m.

I'll admit i didn't look very closely at the ad first, but I concur. I would bet money that truck is basically turn-key already

goldenyear
goldenyear New Reader
7/26/24 12:25 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn : I'm thinking to do by myself

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/26/24 2:36 p.m.

The truck appears to be "restored" already in the Rat Rod style look (clear coated original paint / rust).  Based on the price, I think you can assume it is a good running and driving truck already.  Assuming that is true, and you want to return the exterior to a more stock looks, by yourself.  You are likely looking at at least $1000 in paint and body supplies (though you can likely do it cheaper, or a lot more expensive), and many hours of labor.   If you don't already have the compressor, body work tools, etc to accomplish that, you could likely spend at least another $1000-$2000 on that.  Hard to say if it has rust damage, if it does, that's welding and body panels and a welder alone is going to be at least $500.

Mostly, it a lot of time (depending on how bad the body actually is) and of course you will need the space (a two car garage size space at least would certainly be recommended) for the truck, the tools, and the parts you take off etc.

goldenyear
goldenyear New Reader
8/2/24 9:09 a.m.

Thanks a lot!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E8ueyqiOz7vvd0WPNiQGsM4g2cUkl1DLwDb197ZLiPdQoJQr2TT2rHVUe2J6WAMP