Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/24 2:33 p.m.

I just had an interaction with a customer that keep telling me that he was promised the part for cost.  The salesman told him he could get it for cost since he just bought a new truck.  (No, he did not.)   Then the customer tells me "It's not like it is anything out of your pocket."  Excuse me sir, I work on commission.   And that makes it out of my pocket.

*sigh*  I should have found work less stressful, like bomb disposable or air traffic control.  

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
9/21/24 5:22 p.m.

I used to get a couple of those a week. Usually because the sales people (just a few repeat offenders, actually) told them so. Or told them they get to pick things out for free, like swag or even once a set of truck steps. 
Or promising features or options that didn't exist. 

One salesman in particular comes to mind. He was so full of E36 M3 I don't know how he ever made a sale. But sell he did. Usually 25-30 cars a month. Finally got fired for getting just a little too medicated and accidentally slipping out of the closet to grab one of the porter kids "upper thigh" one day. 

These days I'm usually as far away from the retail counter as possible. People suck, fellow employees or civilians the same. 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
10/3/24 7:01 a.m.

Did you ask said sales guy about this alleged deal?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/3/24 9:28 a.m.
Noddaz said:

*sigh*  I should have found work less stressful, like bomb disposable or air traffic control.  

I'm sure the pay is great, but I'm a little baffled that some people wake up one day and think "I should be an air traffic controller. That sounds fun."

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/3/24 9:42 a.m.

So parts guys work on comission also? That seems kind of weird. I guess that it gives you an incentive to provide good service, but how much additional traffic can one parts guy drive?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/3/24 10:14 a.m.
Colin Wood said:
Noddaz said:

I'm sure the pay is great, but I'm a little baffled that some people wake up one day and think "I should be an air traffic controller. That sounds fun."

"As of May 2023, the median annual salary for air traffic controllers in the United States was $137,380. The lowest 10% of earners made less than $76,190, while the highest made more than $200,990." 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/24 10:14 a.m.

I was always flabbergasted with how often sales or even service guys told customers they could have E36 M3 for free or buy things at cost. Nah, bro. 

Colin Wood said:
Noddaz said:

That was my mother's dream job when she was younger. Luckily(?), this was decades ago and she was told they didn't hire women because it was too hard for their little minds. She went to work for the DEA.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A9eCGzIv3xYrybhh9vaM94v4TTTMeFASFgIP9oawDvPWqHmOTKoMgCRATprP2EcQ